6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Linux and CPLD's?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:47 pm 

Hey guys...been a while but I thought I would jump back in to learning some CPLD.

I have a few ATF1504/8's and I no longer have a Windows machine. I'm running Fedora 35 and was wondering if there is a way to program these chips with Linux?

I haven't tried Wine (with WinCUPL) yet because I wanted to see if there was a more native way first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Linux and CPLD's?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:22 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
Hey guys...been a while but I thought I would jump back in to learning some CPLD.

I have a few ATF1504/8's and I no longer have a Windows machine. I'm running Fedora 35 and was wondering if there is a way to program these chips with Linux?

I haven't tried Wine (with WinCUPL) yet because I wanted to see if there was a more native way first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sadly nothing fully native at the moment. It's possible to compile compatible Verilog code on Linux using the native Quartus suite, but you still need the DOS/Win tools to convert and program the resulting file. This is the workflow I used for the CLPDs on my JRC-1 build. I was almost able to program it natively using OpenOCD, but it didn't quite work. I think OpenOCD needs a bit of work to properly support the ATF1504.

I have not tried WinCUPL (I prefer writing Verilog). I have heard it runs under Wine but I don't know if it has the ability to actually use the programmer that way. You will have the best luck by setting up a WinXP virtual machine using Virtual Box and doing it from there. I have successfully used the official Atmel USB programmer this way and it works great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:27 pm 

If you want a portable workflow, it might be preferable to skip CPLD and use something like Lattice iCE40 FPGA. This may also save energy because a typical blank CPLD draws 105mA. A programmed CPLD may be 247mA or more.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:28 am 

Although also somewhat outdated, I am using XILINX CPLDs and FPGAs with a linux only toolchain, using their WebISE toolset.