6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:07 pm 

Fingers crossed that my ATF1508 Dev Board is going to work OK (Rev 1 works with some snafus).
If it does, I'm probably going to be done with that design unless I decide to go with the TQFP-100 version.

Anyway, I can see the need of creating a 1504 version specifically for glue type logic. Something that could be mounted on a breadboard.

However, I could always use my 1508 version and just keep the designs small (or use one of the PLCC-44 to DIP44 adapters) on a breadboard.

What are your thoughts? Any interest in something like that or do you guys use them in a different way?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:30 pm 

Prototype board based on EPM7064S (same as ATF1504) get lots of use; many designs can easily solved with 64-macrocell CPLD. I'm on my 4th batch of ProtoRC3 (10 boards per batch).
Bill

Attachments:
ProtoRC3.jpeg
ProtoRC3.jpeg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 7108 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:09 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
Anyway, I can see the need of creating a 1504 version specifically for glue type logic. Something that could be mounted on a breadboard...Any interest in something like that or do you guys use them in a different way?

Bump.

Whatever happened with this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm 

I personally created a couple ATF1508 dev boards that actually worked. The first one had a stupid mistake where I got the JTAG header backwards...lol. But it still worked when I added it to the back of the board.

The second one worked as well.

However, I put my CPLD activities on-hold because I was tired of using Windows in a virtual machine just so I could use WinCUPL. I found a P4 laptop for $10 or so a while back so I might load it up just for WinCUPL.

But I have a confession....I'm contemplating using a Raspberry Pi Pico for some glue logic. Mainly because I have some.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:05 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
However, I put my CPLD activities on-hold because I was tired of using Windows in a virtual machine just so I could use WinCUPL. I found a P4 laptop for $10 or so a while back so I might load it up just for WinCUPL.

For what it's worth, I run WinCupl through Wine and it works almost fine.

Quote:
But I have a confession....I'm contemplating using a Raspberry Pi Pico for some glue logic. Mainly because I have some.

I've considered it too, they are very cheap and quite easy to deploy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:07 pm 

For breadboard use, I recently ordered one from the gerbers provided by user banedon here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5055

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:10 pm 

gfoot wrote:
For what it's worth, I run WinCupl through Wine and it works almost fine.

I tried several times and for whatever reason, it just didn't work. I've been holding off using a micro-controller on my build because I just don't feel they fit the "spirit" of the retro designs I like. But I'm starting to get over that obsession. I'm interested in playing around with the PIO's of the Pico for various things. And at $4 each, it's hard to beat. The downsides being 3.3V and only 26 GPIO. But that's not the end of the world for me.