6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:29 am 

Now looking at some of the 5v CPLDs for my next thing and I'm wondering if anyone is using or has any suggestions for Linux software to program the ATF1508AS with the ATDH1150 USB programmer?

I'm not after something to take logic and turn it into JED files just the software to throw those JED files into the chip.

Thanks,

Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 am 

Edit: sorry I completely misunderstood your question even though I read it like 3 times.

But to your question, couldn't you just run a Windows VM?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:43 am 

Proxy wrote:
Edit: sorry I completely misunderstood your question even though I read it like 3 times.

But to your question, couldn't you just run a Windows VM?

Maybe - it's a time vs. energy thing and when I've tried to do this in the past I've had issues with the MS Win side seeing the USB hardware. I do have an old WinXP laptop which I use with my Genius G540 programmer which I'm using for the Lattice GALs I'm using, so I might dig that out of storage and use it for the CPLDs.

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:21 am 

There's really not an easy solution that I'm aware of. I moved over to Intel-based Macs back in 2008 and never looked back. I also standardized on VMware Fusion back then, so I keep a Win7 x64 Pro license running (it still gets updates even now). I run the VM for my 65C02 hobby code, which includes the WDC Tools, WinCUPL, Dataman 40Pro Programmer (USB attached) and recently picked up the ATDH1150 Programmer. Fortunately, VMware can easily assign any USB device to a VM and it just works... I've yet to find any USB device that doesn't work properly.

On the other code front, you might want to try the Codeweavers stuff... we (IBM software group) worked with them way back in the OS/2 days. It was pretty good code and has apparently gotten much better over the decades. They support a large number of Windows apps under Linux and OSX last I looked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:22 pm 

hmm, have you already tried Wine to run AVRISP?

i tested it in a Linux VM and was able to get it to install it, but i got stuck afterwards because it requires the ftd2xx.dll.
AFAIK this has to be hand written as the Windows DLL will not natively work on Linux. it seems a few people have already attempted it a long time ago: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wineftd2xx/
but you would probably need to make your own updated version of it.
which is probably a lot of work, but would also enable others to use AVRISP on Linux if you make it public.

other than that the only other thing i could think of is to just get a dirt cheap PC and throw some Windows installation on it, something easily installed without a license, like XP, Win7, or Win10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:10 pm 

Proxy wrote:
hmm, have you already tried Wine to run AVRISP?

i tested it in a Linux VM and was able to get it to install it, but i got stuck afterwards because it requires the ftd2xx.dll.
AFAIK this has to be hand written as the Windows DLL will not natively work on Linux. it seems a few people have already attempted it a long time ago: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wineftd2xx/
which is probably a lot of work, but would also enable others to use AVRISP on Linux if you make it public.

other than that the only other thing i could think of is to just get a dirt cheap PC and throw some Windows installation on it, something easily installed without a license, like XP, Win7, or Win10

I have an old WinXP Laptop .. somewhere. I'll dig that out and give it a go.

Thanks,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:07 am 

Proxy wrote:
it seems a few people have already attempted it a long time ago: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wineftd2xx/

It may not be quite as much work as it seems at first glance. As the authors mention that, "It is effectively a shim layer between the FTDI's Linux D2XX drivers and Microsoft Windows applicatons [sic] running under Wine." The FTDI 2xx drivers have been a standard part of the Linux for a long time now (just a couple of days ago I plugged in an FT245R into a system with a 4.19 kernel and it Just Worked, coming up as /dev/ttyUSB0), so it probably involves only updating kernel interfaces, and not trying to rewrite any driver code itself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:17 am 

I use Windows 10 under Parallels for macos or use a Windows 10 Laptop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:28 pm 

FWIW, UrJTAG works with lots of programmers, natively under Linux (and FreeBSD too) and you can use it with things like a DirtyJTAG adapter if you don't have a "real" JTAG programmer. I've used it to program different FPGA's (altera, Xilinix, etc.). Perhaps it will work for these chips too?