6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:12 pm 

My first board seems to work really well (other than the JTAG being reversed!).

So I thought I would revise the board and fix some of the mistakes. Also, I decided to go SMD for most of the parts so that I can get the caps on the back side and closer to the pins.

I don't have the silk screen finished yet (I will label each I/O pin, etc.). But this is what I'm going with so far.

Also, I decided to put an oscillator onboard to drive any of the GCLK pins which can be selected with a jumper.

Suggestions welcomed!

Attachments:
P4.JPG
P4.JPG [ 80.79 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]
P3.JPG
P3.JPG [ 76.71 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]
P2.JPG
P2.JPG [ 91.09 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]
P1.JPG
P1.JPG [ 181.28 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:19 pm 

Looks good.

Don't forget the pullup resistors for the JTAG port. At the least, TDI and TMS should be pulled up to VCC with 4.7K resistors. Alternatively, there is an Atmel property statement that can be used in your CUPL source code to turn on internal pullups in the CPLD, e.g.:

Code:
PROPERTY ATMEL {TDI_PULLUP = ON};
PROPERTY ATMEL {TMS_PULLUP = ON};

Using the above spares you the need to solder in those dinky SMT resistors. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:18 pm 

A reset supervisor and/or a reset button is nice to have.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:33 pm 

Thanks, BDD for the tip. I think I will stick with CUPL solution since most of the board is done.

@Plasmo,

I thought about a reset button but I'm not sure how that would work. From what I understand, the GCLR isn't really a reset is it? Meaning, simply taking it to GND doesn't do a full reset or am I wrong?

Attachments:
File comment: Silk screen almost done
P5.JPG
P5.JPG [ 137.29 KiB | Viewed 3356 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:37 pm 

GCLR is a general purpose input, but generally used as a global reset input. If you have buried flip flops, they do need to be reset to known values so GCLR is used for that purpose.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:40 pm 

plasmo wrote:
GCLR is a general purpose input, but generally used as a global reset input. If you have buried flip flops, they do need to be reset to known values so GCLR is used for that purpose.
Bill

Right, but you need some "logic" to make this work, IIRC. It's not like a /RES on a CPU or something like that where everything gets cleared.

Hmm. Shoot. I might put one in there anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:25 pm 

I don’t know how CUPL handles it. In schematic, I bring in an input signal assigned to the GCLR pin, let’s name it nRST; then I connect nRST to the reset terminal of flip flops that need to be cleared; or I connect nRST to preset terminal of FF that need to be set; or I can use nRST as signal to drive logic.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:31 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
I thought about a reset button but I'm not sure how that would work. From what I understand, the GCLR isn't really a reset is it? Meaning, simply taking it to GND doesn't do a full reset or am I wrong?

What Bill said.

GCLR means "global clear." If you have registers that have to be in a known state at reset then you'd hook up GCLR to some sort of reset circuit. In my POC V2.0 unit, GCLR is tied onto the MPU reset line and CUPL code such as [hmu0..1].AR = !RESB; resets the two hmu registers (which are defined as transparent latches) to logic false. The .AR suffix means "asynchronous reset." The !RESB says if GCLR is driven low the async reset will occur. That could also be done with positive logic. It's simply a matter of how you write the equation.

Should you decide to try your hand at rigging up a state machine you will need to do an async reset on the machine's registers so things out in a known state.

BTW, if you do decide to add a reset button don't forget to debounce it. A quick and dirty way is to us a Maxim DS1233 or DS1813, which means you'd use my above example to clear your registers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:06 pm 

Push button added along with DS1813 (U3). :-)

Attachments:
P6.JPG
P6.JPG [ 131.55 KiB | Viewed 3309 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:54 pm 

PCB's ordered for Rev 2!

I added a couple ground test points and decided to go with purple. Love me some purple.

JLCPCB:
$8 for the boards, $12.80 to ship and $0.50 PayPal fee. Grand total: $21.30
Shipping: 2-4 days DHL!
Layers: 4
Size: 74mm x 69mm

PCBWay wanted around $96 for the exact same thing. Not sure why people keep using them other than the tons of sponsorships they do on YouTube channels which means they get tons of recommendations. Nothing against them, just way too expensive.

Attachments:
Purple.PNG
Purple.PNG [ 108.07 KiB | Viewed 3191 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
PCB's ordered for Rev 2...decided to go with purple. Love me some purple.

Looks like lavender or maroon to me, but then my color perception is a bit strange. :D

I had decided to make POC V1.2's boards red just to be different. I regretted doing so as soon as I started assembly. Everything seemed to be red, even the silk screen. :shock: I really struggled to assemble that thing and was astonished that I didn't make any assembly errors. With V1.3, I went back to good old green and had no trouble.

Quote:
PCBWay wanted around $96 for the exact same thing. Not sure why people keep using them other than the tons of sponsorships they do on YouTube channels which means they get tons of recommendations. Nothing against them, just way too expensive.

I agree. I had submitted POC V2.0's board to PCBWay thinking I might get a better deal. When their website gave me the quote I said "no way" to PCBWay. Their price almost made ExpressPCB look like a good deal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:58 am 

Who knows if I will like the purple or not. Purple is actually my favorite color so I guess I'm biased. OSH Park started that whole purple thing but my goodness they are pricey.

I've done boards in green, black, red and blue. All look good to me so hopefully the purple will too.

I still need to do white and yellow. I have a white board from someone else (Propeller C3) and it looks good but I'm just not a fan of white boards. Yellow will take some convincing but I may do one just to give it a chance to grow on me. But that is doubtful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:39 pm 

Some of my favorite childhood memories are playing around with some old DEC and IBM boards that my dad's friend gave me. They were a vaguely olive color and had beautiful hand-routed traces.

Attachment:
olddecboard.jpg
olddecboard.jpg [ 484.85 KiB | Viewed 3132 times ]

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm 

Yeah, that is a beautiful board. Hard to beat green when it comes to nostalgia too.

That shade of green has changed a bit too. Everything from olive to bright green.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
Yeah, that is a beautiful board. Hard to beat green when it comes to nostalgia too.

That shade of green has changed a bit too. Everything from olive to bright green.

PCBs without solder mask are usually a pale green (at least to me). In the below photo, you can see a PCB without solder mask at the lower right.

Attachment:
abs_ic_station01.jpg
abs_ic_station01.jpg [ 897.5 KiB | Viewed 3109 times ]