6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 pm 

I ordered a Cyclone two board to give Grant Searle's Multicomputer a try. I also ordered an RS-232 level converter and the USB Blaster which brought the total up to about $50 from Amazon. I followed Grant's instructions on the code, found a bit of guidance on building and loading the code, and was surprised as I could be when I power it up, loaded it, and it came up working the first time.

But then...

I had been working on a monitor and some revisions to BASIC that I had tested on the Symon Emulator. I couldn't seem to get them working but eventually discovered that I not only had to change the ACIA address, but that a pair of BEQs had to be changed to BNEs based on the code Grant provided. (Eventually had to hand disassemble the routines before I noticed the difference.)

Attachment:
File comment: Boot Screen
pup.jpg
pup.jpg [ 51.09 KiB | Viewed 3367 times ]

The to-do list is to add external RAM and also to give his UK101 implementation a try. (Want to try to get the UK101 running NTSC which I think I can with some of his sample code. Basically my goal is to try to build an FPGA based Ohio Scientific C1P which was the first computer I owned back in 1980.)

Have a couple of other projects in the queue (including a Dodo kit I hope to get to this week while I'm off on vacation).

I have to admit that once you invest the time to figure out the FPGA and the money in the USB Blaster, there seems to be a lot of potential.

Thanks,
Jim W4JBM

EDIT

Here is an updated picture of the project:

Attachment:
IMG_20170617_133958.jpg
IMG_20170617_133958.jpg [ 415.02 KiB | Viewed 3199 times ]

It is mounted on a breadboard as a base. That is mainly for convenience and mechanical stability. From the lower left-hand corner going clockwise there is a Cyclone II FPGA board (EP2C for around $20), a board with external memory (AS6C1008 that I got 5 of them for $15 shipped), a board with composite video out and PS/2 keyboard in jacks, and a pre-built TTL to RS-232 level converter for the serial port (about $10 for the one that includes the jumper block to configure handshaking).

I did get the UK 101 working with NTSC video out and have also made modifications to the VHDL code for the video to give me 24 rows by 25 lines. I want to try the original Ohio Scientific C1P ROMs next.

For the regular 6502 machine, the only thing I wish is that I had room on the FPGA for a 16K ROM instead of an 8K ROM. I could fit 12K on it, but because of the way address decoding is handled it would be three 4K ROMs. I'm debating whether to do that or just change to a single 4K ROM that includes a machine monitor that can download hex files for the rest of the things I want to do.

There is an interesting dilemma in that--I bought a USBblaster because I needed it for this board. That cost around $25. I could have bought a more powerful board with a built in JTAG programmer and USB port for what I spend on the simple board and the programmer. But, at the same time, following Grant's instructions was nearly flawless for me. The only thing I messed up was the clock and data lines on the PS/2 port and that was because I guessed the pinout of the jack wrong. (I didn't even bother to do a continuity check so that one is on me.) The only thing I've added is a pair of small capacitors--on on the memory board and the other on the PS/2 and composite board. It can run at an equivalent speed of 16.67 MHz.

Still pretty excited and geeked about this thing and trying to decide which FPGA board to move to for a bit more tinkering.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by jim30109 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 pm 

A success - congratulations! Thanks for the report - especially good I think because it sounds like this is your first FPGA project, and it sounds like it has been pretty straightforward. I'd like to think FPGAs are accessible (and affordable.)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:55 pm 

Yep, first FPGA project. I debated whether to even give it a try (old dog, new tricks thing), but I'm glad I did.

For me, it is always easier to learn by trial and error and the FPGA makes that pretty easy. Now I need to spend some time learning the basics.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:56 pm 

It seems like a good tactic to first implement a known-working system, and then build on that.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:55 pm 

Congratulations! I had to respond because, after reading your post, I was reminded of getting into FPGA's and my first success. What a wonderful world FULL of potential.

Best of luck with your project and where it takes you.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:20 am 

Nice work!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:51 pm 

I put things on a base for stability. Looks a bit different than I was expecting... :-)

Attachment:
IMG_20170601_172838.jpeg
IMG_20170601_172838.jpeg [ 158.42 KiB | Viewed 3296 times ]

Planned to add the external RAM today but got pulled into other things. Composite video follows that and I'm hoping I can figure out how to modify Grant's PAL code for his UK101 project to NTSC.

I have a lot of I/O to tinker with--tiny bluetooth serial card, the TellyMate serial video card, an LCD module, etc..

Pretty fun little project.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:57 pm 

I'll post a picture when I get a chance, but I've added external RAM as well as a composite video out & PS2 keyboard in.

I did get the UK101 code working with NTSC and have modified the video and patched the ROM so I have a 24 column by 25 line display. I'm planning to pull the original OSI C1P ROMs into the FPGA.

Have learned a lot about FPGAs and VHDL in the process. Still a lot of tweaks to get it where I want, but it is moving forward.

Thanks,
Jim