6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:16 pm 

Very cool, I like the JTAG header on the adapter. So you can use the adapter as programming adapter. You can just program one of your designs to test. The devices support 10'000 program cycles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:43 pm 

The only real reason for the adapter is so that I can both program and test designs and adding the JTAG header just makes things easy. It does still need the 4 sets of VCC connected to power though. I don't plan to use the CPLDs via adapter - I'll use PLCC sockets instead when it comes to finished products.

I've been itching to switch from GALs to CPLDs for a while (egged on by a couple of forum members ;) :mrgreen:) and am looking forward to having a play.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:53 am 

banedon wrote:
I've been itching to switch from GALs to CPLDs for a while (egged on by a couple of forum members ;) :mrgreen:) and am looking forward to having a play.

"Egged on" == "Persuaded" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:09 pm 

Yes indeed :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:57 pm 

banedon wrote:
The only real reason for the adapter is so that I can both program and test designs and adding the JTAG header just makes things easy. It does still need the 4 sets of VCC connected to power though. I don't plan to use the CPLDs via adapter - I'll use PLCC sockets instead when it comes to finished products.

Sure for the final product, but for the test setup on the breadboard this is very handy. My adapters don't have the JTAG included and it would have been very useful in my various setup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:06 pm 

cbscpe wrote:
banedon wrote:

Sure for the final product, but for the test setup on the breadboard this is very handy. My adapters don't have the JTAG included and it would have been very useful in my various setup.

Out of curiousity, did you purchase or make your own adapters? I was thinking about buying some but they just seem a bit costly for what they are.

[edit]

BTW, I've now successfully written my address decoder to an Atmel 1504AS and it performs as expected.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:22 pm 

Just ordered some ATF1508AS-10JU84 and some 84pin PLCC sockets. Just got to create the 84 pin PLCC socket to DIP.. 84 (lol) adapter for testing. Although I'm looking forward to running up a few designs for the CPLDs, I'm not particularly looking forward to the point to point soldering required for the adapter. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:35 pm 

banedon wrote:
Just ordered some ATF1508AS-10JU84 and some 84pin PLCC sockets. Just got to create the 84 pin PLCC socket to DIP.. 84 (lol) adapter for testing. Although I'm looking forward to running up a few designs for the CPLDs, I'm not particularly looking forward to the point to point soldering required for the adapter. :mrgreen:

How about a wire-wrap PLCC socket: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plcc-sockets/2446852/
The page is for the 84-pin, stock number 244-6852 and manufacturer part number WPLCC084-T3RC, although the picture shows the 32-pin:

Attachment:
WW32PLCCsocket.jpg
WW32PLCCsocket.jpg [ 26.38 KiB | Viewed 1141 times ]

They're expensive ($20 or so) but will save you a lot of time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:02 am 

Hi banedon,

Initially I bought some adapters. The first PLCC-44 and PLCC-68 to DIP adapters I bought from Futurlec http://www.futurlec.com/PLCC_Adapters.shtml. I don't think they are costly. But the PLCC_68-adapters is very bulky and as such not really breadboard friendly when it comes to bigger designs. Then I found the following PCB adapters on ebay http://www.ebay.de/itm/LQFP44-TQFP44-Prototyping-SMT-SMD-Adapter-DIP-6-Proto-Module-DE4096-/310725315598?hash=item4858ac0c0e:g:BZQAAOSwDk5UHNB3. Not really adapters in the sense of the above ones, it is more you convert a TQFP-44 chip (e.g. the ATF1504AS in TQFP-44) into a DIP-48 chip as you have to solder the CPLD onto the PCB. But I built several of them and added rows of machined pins and have now some ATF1504AS I can use in breadboards with a small footprint.

Attachment:
File comment: ATF1504AS solder on adapter PCB and with PINs for breadboards
IMG_0216.png
IMG_0216.png [ 497.55 KiB | Viewed 1125 times ]

The good thing is they are double sided PCBs and you can solder everything. And last but not least I bought this adapter from Technological Arts http://www.technologicalarts.ca/shop/store/details/229/55/adapters/plcc/plcc-adapter,-84-pin.html because I wanted to test some larger CPLD designs using ATF1508AS.

Btw, good to hear you are making progress with your CPLDs!

Cheers

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:20 am 

cbscpe wrote:
And last but not least I bought this adapter from Technological Arts http://www.technologicalarts.ca/shop/store/details/229/55/adapters/plcc/plcc-adapter,-84-pin.html because I wanted to test some larger CPLD designs using ATF1508AS.

I like that design. It economizes on board real estate, but looks easy to work with.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 pm 

I'm going to grab a few of the wire wrap ones recommended by Garth next month (currently I'm bankrupt :D) and I'll certainly be looking into those ones that you've posted, Peter. Like BDD, that last adapter looks very good for breadboarding/testing in particular.

With regard to SMD stuff: I'm staying away for now on that as I find that, although more expensive to do, I prefer the ability to replace ICs by simply removing them from a socket. Of course, I could just add them in via the socket itself, but that would use more PCB real estate. I've not closed my mind on this though.