6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some GAL questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm 

Okay, I decided on the weekend to replace the TTL with a GAL22V10D before I finalize the PCB. So I downloaded winCUPL and went thru the tutorial - not exactly rocket science so I create my own .pld file. And the fun begins... Doing the tutorial I could run a simulation of the result. With my file it creates a .abs, .doc, .jed, .pdf anda .sim file - no .si file. Have I made a mistake in the file? WinCUPL said it compiled okay with no errors. To compile I used the exact same settings as the tutorial.

So anyway, I pressed on as there were no apparant errors. I got myself the TL866CS a couple of weeks ago and am well pleased with it.... until now. I have some Lattice GALs. It says it will program them, so that's what I selected, uploaded the .jedec file, unticked the Encrypt box and attempted to program it. I tried a couple of chips and get the same error:

"Programming stopped! Verify Error! Addr:000032 Buff_val:0 IC_val:1"

I did find that someone on the EEV forum had the same error at the same byte(32), no solution was offered there. The VPP Voltage is 16V from a dropdown is this correct? I couldn't find it in the datasheets. Also on the program screen should "LOCK Bit" be ticked or unticked? I have done the "update on line" and have v6.16 and firmware version 3.2.68.

Has anybody had success, if so.. how? Or do I have to buy another programmer?

Attachments:
TLCM_DEC.PLD.txt [2.49 KiB]
Downloaded 354 times

Last edited by lenzjo on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Some GAL questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:26 pm 

What is the exact chip type? Especially the optional character after the string GAL22V10 is important. Possible values are none, A, B, C, D. They all have different programming voltages

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 pm 

I don't have any problems with default options. (Lock bit checkbox is ticked)
I only tried Lattice 16v8d ones though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:49 pm 

cbscpe wrote:
What is the exact chip type? Especially the optional character after the string GAL22V10 is important. Possible values are none, A, B, C, D. They all have different programming voltages

It's a Lattice GAL22V10D 15LPN the rest, I believe is batch# and date - G306DE27

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:16 pm 

Strange, the D-types are the most recent ones and those that most programmers support. I have a TOP3100 and a Genius G540 and both can program the Lattice 22V10D, however the programming voltag is only 13.25V and not 16V for the D-Type GALs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:23 pm 

Hmph! Just tried a fresh GAL, the closest Vpp options I have are 12.50v and 13.50v, tried the lower value first then the higher value. Both had the same result stopped at byte 32 unable to verify as before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:27 pm 

I don't know the TL866CS so I can't say what to do. What options does the program have when selecting a device? Is it possible to select directly the GAL22V10D or is there only a generic GAL22V10. Note that sometimes also the fuse matrix changes from type to type. I know that with my programmers I must select the GAL22V10D when there is a GAL22V10D. When I try to programm a GAL22V10B with the GAL22V10D settings and vice versa it fails, with various strange error messages (that's what you get when buying cheap china programmers :-))

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:48 pm 

Could it be that you selected an incompatible device in the pld file?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:08 pm 

@ cbscpe
No generics I can select Lattice GAL22V10 B, C or D and then DIP or @SOIC24.

@i_r_on
I've just re-attached the pld file after adding a .txt so that it would upload. That is the other unkown quantity... In WinCUPL there is only the B and C versions. Looking at other's code they use g22v10, so used that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:29 pm 

Did you check if there is an update or an older version of the programmer software you can try? Which OS are you using? Did you try to use a wrong type (C instead of D)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm 

I was using an older version, I updated after the failed burn. I'm on Win7 and yes, out of frustration I have tried the B and C types to no avail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:10 pm 

lenzjo wrote:
cbscpe wrote:

It's a Lattice GAL22V10D 15LPN the rest, I believe is batch# and date - G306DE27

Atmel does not support the 22V10D, as it is a part they never produced. Presumably using a 22V10C as the target device in your code will produce a usable JEDEC file, but you'll have to experiment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:08 pm 

As far as I know there is no difference in the Jedec File between C and D types. At least there is no difference in the fuse numbers in the datasheet. ATMEL produces the ATF22V10C which translates as g22v10 device if you select Options->Devices (^D). The GAL22V10 is an industry standard. So the ATMEL and Lattice should be equivalent. Also I started to make my GAL designs in WinCUPL and in my current bootstrap project the GAL22V10D created with WinCUPL works as designed. I really think it is a problem with the programmer, he does not complain about the fuse numbers in the jedec file but fails to verify.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:32 pm 

I have the same programmer and I am also having problems programming GAL20V8B parts. I guess it's a problem with the programmer. It works when Verify after is unchecked but I didn't yet test if it produces a correct programming.

ps: The same programmer doesn't complain programming a 16v8d part when verify after option is left checked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:59 am 

I tried that too, program with no verify, it completed the cycle but from a visual inspection it did not do it correctly which then doing the verify confirmed. Thx i_r_on for confirming it's not just me doing something wrong.