6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 pm 

So it is done! I have uploaded the initial 65k core to github. You can find it under https://github.com/fachat/af65k/tree/master/vhdl

Without further ado, here's the README:

Quote:
AF65K CPU
=========

WARNING!
--------

The code provided here is an early alpha release. It has never been tested on any real
hardware. It has never been tested with a real-world code.
Wear your hard hat. You are warned!

CONTENT
-------

In this repository there are three folders. One is for the af65k core, one for the
"gecko65k" system (that can be used as default build shell), and one for the testbench.

I used the Xilinx ISE Webpack. To use the VHDL core with ISE webpack, you have to create
a new project. Then create a new library. As library name you can browse to the af65002
folder and use this. ISE webpack will use the folder name and the folder content to create
the library.
As the CPU has generics, you need a shell to actually compile it. Add a new file and use
the gecko65k.vhd file from the gecko65k folder as source.

For simulation in the testbench I use GNU ghdl and GTKWave. If you work on a Linux machine,
with ghdl, GTKWave and make installed, just run "make smoke1" to run the first smoke test
that I used to build it. A GTKWave save file is included. No further tests exists (so far).

DOCUMENTATION
-------------

- fill follow over the next days/weeks

COMMENTS
--------

This is my first real "big" VHDL project. I'm sure many of you will say "OMG, how can he do
this in that way". I probably will in some time too. Just bear with me for now...

The code is structured in a number of files (entities) with separate functionalities in each
entity. Here are some comments on some of them:

* af65002cpu: This is the outermost "CPU" shell. It is a shell, as it combines one (or in later
versions more than one) cores, with an interrupt controller, and (in the near future) the
configuration registers (that are still missing).

* af65002seq: this entity takes a memory read/write and a fetch interface from the core and
sequences the memory accesses. It also breaks up wide memory accesses according to the
external bus width (each memory access requests a specific width, but reacts on the actual
access width. E.g. request a WORD access, and getting only a BYTE access, the sequencer
addes another BYTE access to write the second byte)

* af65002core: this is the actual core. It combines and connects the various sub-components
together. Sub-components are (among others):

* af65002decode: controls the fetch accesses, buffers the opcodes, decodes the program bytes
into operations and addressing modes etc - using the mostly generated opmap entity

* af65002control: controls the execution of opcodes. controls the memory read/write interface

Unfortunately each functionaliy adds some length to the signal path. Currently the CPU would
run at maximum about 13MHz only - far away from my target of 50MHz. Looking at the delay paths
I see that each entity adds multiple levels of logic - more than I though it originally would.
Maybe there is potential.

I am also pretty sure the CPU is a resource hog compared to other 6502 implementations, even
extended ones.

TODOs
-----

- Some few opcodes are still missing (none of the standard 6502 though)

- check the need to provide the register number to read from the register file one cycle
ahead of the actual data need. This leads to horribly complicated "predecode"
controller logic.

- timing is horrible. Currently ISE says it runs with less than 14MHz :-(

- configuration registers are missing

- many, many more tests, also with different bus/register widths

- make the tests also more reproducible. the current smoke tests injects memory aborts
depending on timing - which can change, which is the reason they are currently not in
right place in smoke1

- reduce the generic generation in favor of e.g. "minimum(W-1,31)" calculations.
Also reduce the extended lengths (from W/MW to full width) using such constructions.

- the "restricted stack" feature (to have the stack in a 256 byte page) only currently work
in the core. If the core tries to write e.g. a return address over the border of that page,
the sequencer will happily overstep that border -> needs to handle this as well

- later optimization: in the decoder, store the buffered data from setting a new PC to the first
taken opcode, so it can be reused on subsequent branches to the same address (branch target
buffer)

COPYRIGHT
---------

The code provided in the af65002, gecko65k and testbench subdirectories is provided under
the Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

Xilinx, ISE Webpack and other trademarks and copyrights contained herein are owned by their
respective trademark and copyright holders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm 

Great to see an early release, even where you know you're not seeing the results you want, yet. I'll watch this with interest - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:13 pm 

Yeah, I just wanted to get that out, you never know how much time you'll have, with job and live changes...

If noone else tries it, I expect another year for me building a GODIL-based prototype board and further debugging until a really working solution comes out.
But if you look at my 8-bit homepage, I normally don't lack perseverance here :-)

André

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 pm 

fachat wrote:
...But if you look at my 8-bit homepage, I normally don't lack perseverance here :-)

André

Nice! We need more of us!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm 

Ok, here's the docs for the first release:

http://www.6502.org/users/andre/65k/af65002/index.html
http://www.6502.org/users/andre/65k/af65002/arch.html

André

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 pm 

I have started working on providing proper documentation for the af65002 on github.

For now you need to download the archive, unpack it and look into the doc/html folder.

https://github.com/fachat/af65k/downloads

André