6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:07 pm 

enso wrote:
... but grease is probably better.

I was thinking hi-temp bearing grease. Over time, it won't cake up like anti-seize compound or thermal paste....
Tomorrow, we'll see if this guy drilling the holes can pay attention to detail or not. He didn't have a 6" bit, so he asked if he could drill from both sides. I said yes, that the holes didn't necessarily have to "meet" perfectly, but they had to be absolutely parallel to the surfaces. I had only marked off a "+' on the one side where to start drilling 2 holes... I gave him a full day to do what he needed to do, instead of 1/2hr like he said he needed. He seemed pleased with the larger time margin. Needless to say, I'll walk in there tomorrow morning, take it outside to my truck and inspect his work with a micrometer. If it's decent, I'll have him drill the second block.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
...inspect his work with a micrometer...

Remind me not to drill any holes for you :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:31 am 

enso wrote:
ElEctric_EyE wrote:
...inspect his work with a micrometer...

Remind me not to drill any holes for you :oops:

Well, I am paying $30 for 2 holes. I think I have the right to expect a certain amount of perfection above the average.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:13 pm 

The guy did a great job drilling the holes. I measure 9.54mm for the holes, and 9.45mm for the elements. This leaves a .045mm (.0018") gap on either side. Nice and tight! I will use him again, he said he was able to do the job again if needed. It was just a tad bit tight on the one side, so I had to run a bit through to clean it up abit. The toelrance is so tight even the raised part # stamping on the stainless steel elements interfered with them going in smoothly. After a gentle sanding, and some heat sink goop they are now fitted in the block. I decided on heat goop because caking would actually be good to help keep them secured. Now I'll drill the holes for the 4 legs...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 pm 

Excellent. I used 3" stainless round-headed bolts for feet. I haven't had any issues with heating the enclosing tray. I was thinking about enclosing the entire device in an upside-down baking tray with a rectangle cut out for the plate and a fan for cooling the unit after turning off.

I prefer my layout with all the wiring in the back - it gives me 3 clean edges. I find myself with my eye close to the edge, level to the surface (with a magnifier), monitoring the balls during the heating process. I am sure yours will work fine.

The guy who inspired me to build this did another cool mod: drill a small hole into the side, at an angle and fill it with solder for tinning wires by just dipping.

One thing to watch out for: the device is a lot like 'The Cornballer' in 'Arrested Development'. You probably have a longer attention span then I do; I burn myself quite often, leaving a trail of singed hair and expletives in the air.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm 

Instead of getting real close with a magnifier, maybe a USB microscope would be a safer option. I have one very similar to the one displayed here. I used it for the pictures earlier in this thread. If you can mount one close to the hotplate, you can watch the action safely on your computer screen. As an added bonus you can take pictures, or make a movie to post on YouTube.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 pm 

enso wrote:
...The guy who inspired me to build this did another cool mod: drill a small hole into the side, at an angle and fill it with solder for tinning wires by just dipping...

Very cool idea!

I don't have all the tools needed for tapping holes for the legs, so I drilled holes for some 3" wood screws I had. The holes were .010" smaller than the screw threads and it was still a battle to screw them into the 6061 Al block. I find myself using the micrometer all the time... It's now level and I've finished the wiring of the elements and powered up the PID controller. The 4 300W 120V elements are in parallel and will be wired in series with the 25A SSR. A couple more wires and I fire this baby up and watch the lights dim. :lol: Oh, I still have to drill the TC hole...
One thing I'll be watching is the time it takes to get up to temp. I've tried to outdo you enso! :wink:

Attachments:
hotplate_construct.a.jpg
hotplate_construct.a.jpg [ 184.18 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

Ive drilled the TC hole too deep by mistake. Looks like it's over by about .090". I'm going to fill it with some leftover metal shavings and thermal paste. This may be a blessing in disguise as now the PID TC feedback sensor is reading data through similar barriers as the elements.

Attachments:
hotplate_construct.b.jpg
hotplate_construct.b.jpg [ 211.53 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 pm 

I'm going to drink a beer, recheck the wiring and throw the switch... 120VAC scares the hell out of me!

If it works, I will have to bring home my laser IR temp gauge to verify temps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 pm 

Hmm, not working... I hear the internal PID controller relay clicking after reset, but no voltage to the SSR. TC is reading correctly and rises in temp to the touch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
120VAC scares the hell out of me!
It's not as bad as 230V. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 pm 

LOL @ Arlet. Once one gets stung by household AC voltage, one won't forget it! 230 even more so!

So I was reading up on this POS PID controller I got from EBAY. I need to modify it. Shouldn't be too difficult. The internal control signals that operate the internal relay need to be brought out to the SSR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 pm 

So, I made the most rudimentary modification to this PID board, by removing the internal relay and routing the 2 signals offboard, and the SSR is lighting up. Now time to hook up the load. And just 1 more beer...

EDIT:We've got heat! I love modern digital electronics. PID controller, element wires and SSR very cool. Hotplate up to 145deg Celcius. About 1 degree per sec, steady. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 pm 

SSR getting warmer after 15 mins. Shutting down and putting device on a cookie tray to cool down. Success! Tried to show some steam, it floated to the left of monitor. Legs were getting too warm on the wooden desk. Had to shut down

Attachments:
hotplate_construct.in action.jpg
hotplate_construct.in action.jpg [ 191.92 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 am 

Congratulations! Now it's time to destroy some expensive BGA chips!

Arlet, I do have a USB camera just like that one. I've been meaning to set it up on a taller stand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next