6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 pm 

First attempt with new SDRAM controller design appears to be working. I first noticed some read/write errors, but that seems to be fixed by slightly changing the SDRAM clock phase relationship. Edit: There's a still a bit of work to do. Parts of the state machine are still empty, but the access patterns of the 6502 don't lead it into those states.

I'm not actually sure what the timing should be to capture the data right in the middle of the eye, so I'm just moving the clock around until it works. My 200 MHz scope isn't fast enough, and whatever I see doesn't seem to match simulation.

Last edited by Arlet on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:20 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Yes, the SPI pins are on Header #1, but the physical SD card connector would have to go on the daughterboard without modifying the current mainboard. So the SPI interface would have to go onto a CPLD at least I would think...

Couldn't you use the unallocated pins on Header #2 ? I see pins 33-40 going straight from header to FPGA. You would need 1 for the CS, and then route the SPI pins from Header #1 to the SD card. You could do without a card detect or write protect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:19 pm 

I updated the 1st post to include the correct Header pinout. The pic should update soon...

It shows 18 pins available for a SyncRAM daughterboard. 9 pins for A13-A21 (for the largest device), 8 CSs, and 1 /CS for the SD Card...

Take 5 of those away for the SDRAM signals on a SDRAM daughterboard. That leaves 13, for 12 SDRAM CSs and the 1 /CS for the SD Card.

No need for another CPLD/FPGA for a controller core!

Last edited by ElEctric_EyE on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 pm 

I don't mean to take the discussion away from real progress on the SDRAM controller!

Will start a new thread on the memory daughterboard(s) when placements are final. No more distractions here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm 

Side note: I am seeing the data shifted out on SDA, the SCL just goes low during the shift... Not only did I find that my core was not doing load_reg for <shift,rotate> opcodes in the 6 & E columns (which I fixed), your routine is doing an ROL (op $26) meant for an 8 bit machine! So my carry flag isn't being set in time (I think).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Side note: I am seeing the data shifted out on SDA, the SCL just goes low during the shift... Not only did I find that my core was not doing load_reg for <shift,rotate> opcodes in the 6 & E columns (which I fixed), your routine is doing an ROL (op $26) meant for an 8 bit machine! So my carry flag isn't being set in time (I think).
Hmm... don't you mean that the SCL is toggling, but the SDA just goes low ? That would match the behavior of the ROL on a 16 bit target. The SCL is just pulled up and down by calls to scl_low and scl_high.

You can fix the ROL by moving the data 8 bits to the left before you enter the loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:17 pm 

By the way, I set up a test this morning before I left for work, where the 6502 copies data from SDRAM -> SDRAM over and over again in a loop. After every copy, the data is also written to the display memory.

I just got back from work, and the text on the display has not been corrupted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm 

Arlet:
nice idea for the tiny code buffer - a bit like a 68010 perhaps. You'll need to make some statement about self-modifying code (as with all instruction caching)

(tracking active banks is sounding good too!)

Cheers
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Arlet:
nice idea for the tiny code buffer - a bit like a 68010 perhaps. You'll need to make some statement about self-modifying code (as with all instruction caching)

True. Since I already need to check whether the address matches a valid word in the code buffer, it should be simple enough to invalidate it on a write. Or, if it's simple enough, just write to the code buffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:13 pm 

Partially working attempt to use new SDRAM controller in combination with video interface. I made a simple module to read a bitmap from the SDRAM, and send it to the display. It's currently showing the random initial contents of the SDRAM.

When I try to combine the video read with CPU access to the SDRAM, the screen turns black. Apparently, some state machine gets stuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 pm 

Graphics! Awesome!!

Side note:
Arlet wrote:
Hmm... don't you mean that the SCL is toggling, but the SDA just goes low ? That would match the behavior of the ROL on a 16 bit target. The SCL is just pulled up and down by calls to scl_low and scl_high.

You can fix the ROL by moving the data 8 bits to the left before you enter the loop.

Yes I got it backwards, SCL was toggling SDA was going low. I've shifted the 'addr' and 'val' values 8bits to the left immediately before the 'jsr i2c_wrbyte' in all 3 instances in the 'video_write_reg' routine.
I'm close now, but just 1 question: We are sending 3 bytes. First the device I2C address, then the internal register address, then the value? I must take into consideration I may have rewrote the default address of the CS4954...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
I'm close now, but just 1 question: We are sending 3 bytes. First the device I2C address, then the internal register address, then the value?

Correct. The datasheet is vague about that. It just shows the address byte followed by two data bytes. I assumed it was the register #, followed by the data byte, and that worked.

Quote:
I must take into consideration I may have rewrote the default address of the CS4954...

A reset should fix that, I assume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm 

Fixed the SDRAM state machine, so now the 6502 core can write to SDRAM while video is reading it. It's not perfect yet, because some pixels are not written in the right color, resulting in some random speckle pattern instead of a solid black bar. Edit: Ah, good! The speckle pattern also shows up in simulation, so it's a logic error, and not some tricky analog/timing problem.

Too bad the 6502 address space is only 16 bit :? At 720*480 resolution and 16 bits per pixel, the core can only access a small section. Of course, the 65org16 has no problem accessing the amount of memory. However, it may become a bit sluggish when scrolling the screen in software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 pm 

Arlet wrote:
...Too bad the 6502 address space is only 16 bit :? At 720*480 resolution and 16 bits per pixel, the core can only access a small section. Of course, the 65org16 has no problem accessing the amount of memory. However, it may become a bit sluggish when scrolling the screen in software.

Now see, this is why I got all excited when BigEd originally said he had expanded your core to a 16bit databus. Writing graphics routines for anything over 256x256 resolution was a pain for me with the original 8bit 6502, but I did it... Working with a 320x200 TFT at the time on my Pulse Width Analyzer project, I was forced to do it (I will go full circle and complete that project BTW).
That is before all the tinkering started with modifying your core...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:12 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Now see, this is why I got all excited when BigEd originally said he had expanded your core to a 16bit databus. Writing graphics routines for anything over 256x256 resolution was a pain for me with the original 8bit 6502, but I did it... Working with a 320x200 TFT at the time, I was forced to do it. That is before all the tinkering started...

I get it :)

But I want to use the FPGA to write to the screen instead of the CPU. That's why I made the text rendering module, where the entire screen can be accessed quickly by writing only a 2kB memory region. Now, instead of rendering real-time to the display, the hardware could be modified to write the image to a section of SDRAM. That piece of SDRAM could then be displayed on the screen, or modified further. Ideally, the hardware would do nearly all of the graphics manipulation and the CPU would just direct traffic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next