6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Apple II
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:10 pm 

I have an Apple II+ and some Apple IIe's, some work, some don't.

The 6502's all have slightly different letters and codes - are they interchangeable?

Thanks for your interest

Philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:46 pm 

Not always, but as long as they share the same fabrication process, they should be. For example, a 65C02 might work with a circuit built for an NMOS 6502, but not necessarily vice versa. Garth would have more information on the interoperability characteristics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:40 pm 

Quote:
Garth would have more information on the interoperability characteristics.

I have boxes of Apple II books in the garage, but I'm not really all that familiar with the Apple myself. (More on that in a minute.) I don't think that any of the Apple II's (besides the GS) ran at much over a MHz though, so you don't have to worry about the speed suffixes on the processors. They will all be fast enough. There will also probably be a lot number and a date code which are probably no concern. So I think the answer to your question is that yes, they're all interchangeable. Edit: I think the IIe used the CMOS processor, right? So there you would want the 65c02 (not just 6502) especially so software that says it requires the IIe will run. I'm not aware of any pre-CMOS Apple II software using the illegal opcodes to do tricks like GEOS on the Commodore 64 did, so there's probably no reason you couldn't use a 65c02 in all of them.

When our very technically minded older son was in grade school and junior high, I wanted to get him into some kind of a computer system, but I didn't want to just give him a PC with Windoze and turn him into an appliance operator (which now I don't think would have happened anyway). Apples II's and Commodore 64's had a processor I could easily help him with; and since they and their books and accessories were becoming easy to get free, I quickly found that asking around immediately resulted in people (especially the grade school and junior high where my wife teaches) saying things like, "Oh we have a whole closet full of that stuff and we were just going to throw it out. But if you can use it, you're welcome to it!" Our son latched on more to the Commodore 64 than the Apple II's, so I know slightly more about that. He quickly moved on though, and now he has become somewhat of a computer networking expert, and maintains the networks at both campuses of this school. Interestingly though, he still has hardly touched programming. Fortunately he has never been interested in games either. Now at age 22, his main hobby is learning more about networks, the internet, Linux, and how to improve the websites he runs and hosts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm 

The regular 2E did not use the 65C02. That came in as the 2E enhanced.

Some software DID use the illegal opcodes, such as Randamn.

I also wonder about output loading on using a C02 in a 2 or 2+ motherboard. Worth a shot, though...