6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 pm 

Yesterday morning when I was adding a new post to my VGA controller topic in the Hardware section, I noticed the "views" count was huge, 53008. That topic was mostly me talking to myself, so I thought the views count was big because it was an old topic started March 2021. Anyway, I wrote down the number, 53008 views. 30 hours later, the view count is 54557! 1500 views in 30 hours? Really? Do we have internet bots snooping like crazy? What does the views count really mean?
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:31 am 

plasmo wrote:
Yesterday morning when I was adding a new post to my VGA controller topic in the Hardware section, I noticed the "views" count was huge, 53008.  That topic was mostly me talking to myself, so I thought the views count was big because it was an old topic started March 2021.  Anyway, I wrote down the number, 53008 views.  30 hours later, the view count is 54557!  1500 views in 30 hours?  Really?  Do we have internet bots snooping like crazy?  What does the views count really mean?
Bill

I’ve noticed that my POC V1 topic now has several million views.  That is clearly the work of bots and may indicate a missing or improperly-defined robots.txt file in the site’s document root.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:58 am 

This site has no robots.txt file.

Not that that matters today - robots will search if you ask them to or not.

The searches/scrapes are used for many purposes - from the simple seeding of search engines to the more dodgy scraping for personal data - the more data people have the better they can target advertising at you, or use it to launch phishing attacks on you once they have gathered your profile of forum names to real names to addresses and so on - and they can do this by scraping *everything* they can.

Some forums even have "legit" search engine logins.

Its then up to the forum owners to do something about this as we end-users can't. Firewalling (not always possible with cheap hosting packages) or more....

But really - we lost the battle some time back by simple walking right into it.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 am 

In some forum software, and I think this applies here, the admin can declare a definition of "bot" such that those sessions don't take up as many resources as they might normally do. You'd see in the footer of the page this kind of thing:
Quote: