6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sort of OT
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:52 am 

Hey ya'll, have a great holiday season!

Post subject: Re: Sort of OT
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:43 am 

Happy Holidays from my family to yours!!
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 3781 times ]

Foreground (clockwise from 12:00): tree angel, Anthony, Kelli, Audrey and Mike.
Background: dirty/unfinished living room wall.
Not pictured: Sunny the Chihuahua and many cats.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:40 am 

Merry Christmas, one and all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:22 pm 

I have been hearing that one of the most hated Christmas songs is All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey.

Whenever I hear that song title, I think of this one; it is much better IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbKMfpVb0zo

If you are using an ad blocker, do a YT search for "Vince Vance All I Want for Christmas is You" and those links should work...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:29 pm 

BillG wrote:
I have been hearing that one of the most hated Christmas songs is All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey.

I don’t hate the tune as much as I detest it being endlessly played.

In the secular world of Christmas music, there are much better Christmas songs, starting with “The Christmas Song,” composed by Bob Wells and Mel Tormé, and immortalized by Nat “King” Cole.  There’s Cole’s rendition, and then there is everyone else’s version.  Cole’s 1961 recording of “The Christmas Song” is, according to Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI), the most-played Christmas song of all time.

Quote:
Whenever I hear that song title, I think of this one..."Vince Vance All I Want for Christmas is You" and those links should work...

Note that it is country singer Lisa Layne who belts out the vocal on that recording.  Vince Vance aka Andy Stone (real name Andrew Franichevich Jr) didn’t credit her for the vocal and she never earned any royalties from it.

I personally find a lot of commercial Christmas music to be banal and really don’t care to listen to most of it.  My tastes are toward Christmas music that is focused on why Christmas exists.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:31 pm 

BillG wrote:

I'll take even that over "Wonderful Christmastime" - worst use of a CS-80 ever :/

(And now, as I heard on the grocery-store PA the other day, someone's managed to come up with a modern pop cover that's even worse...!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:04 pm 

Merry Christmas everyone.  When I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's, my parents had a 3M Wollensak open-reel tape recorder and a small collection of tapes that included a Christmas one that got played many, many times every December.  I think it was an hour and a half on a side.  It had a wide range of types of Christmas music, from Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, choirs, and others, and the effect it had on us kids was indescribable (and it may also be part of what started my love affair with tape recorders).  My parents are in their late 80's now, and have been gradually cleaning out their house for the last couple of years and getting rid of all kinds of things, and frequently asking me and my sisters if we'd like this or that, and in fact my dad just gave me another old photo album last night.  That tape of Christmas music is one I really hope shows up.  I have something I think still works to play it on.  It's probably almost as old as I am.  I haven't turned it on in a few years, but the last time I did was for a Frank Sinatra tape that might be even older than I am.  It still sounded magnificent!

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/wollensak_t1500t_150.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:14 pm 

Reminds me of listening to my dad's cassette of the Bing Crosby/Andrews Sisters Christmas album as a kid...some good stuff on there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:31 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
When I was growing up in the 1960's and 70's, my parents had a 3M Wollensak open-reel tape recorder...

I recall those...we had them when I was in high school (class of 1963).  The AV department had those, plus a professional-quality Ampex unit used to record band and orchestra concerts.

I didn’t have a personal open-reel tape recorder until around 1970, when I acquired a used Ampex 750.  It had belt drive for the capstans and reels, which meant periodically replacing the belts.  I also would clean the heads to get minute bits of tape residue off them to maintain good frequency response.  As open-reel tape recorders went in those days, the 750 was better than average.  I had it for about 15 years and finally, when wear on the heads started to adversely affect tone quality, I got rid of it.  I couldn’t get parts for it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:19 pm 

Merry Christmas a day late. I was home yesterday with no internet.
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
My tastes are toward Christmas music that is focused on why Christmas exists.

Same here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 am 

BillO wrote:
Hey ya'll, have a great holiday season!

Great idea for a thread! Happy festivities, everyone.

For me this is a special time of year, stretching in my case from the first Merry Christmas to the last Happy New Year - a time to take a break, to reflect on the year past, to count blessings, to toast absent friends, to renew friendships and spend time with family, to celebrate in the community, to look forward to a new year...