6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:05 pm 

Being a bit of a pessimist, I do believe that as time goes on computers will become ever less general purpose and user accessible, and "secure content delivery" is one of the motivating factors for that. Even if a user remains free, or finds a way, to install or develop applications, the task of writing a suitable program to display a video stream might become prohibitively difficult.

Theoretically, you can always factor a very large number, but practically you can't, and that's the kind of asymmetry - another being that you can always reverse engineer the function of a chip, in theory but not in practice - that mitigates against humans staying ahead in this particular arms race.

For a little while I worked for Nvidia, and as I understood it they were very careful to support "secure delivery" and leave as little by way of loopholes as they could. The nature of IP licensing mean the same forces apply to other manufacturers.

Of course there could in theory be other platforms which deliver unprotected video content - but if they deliver anything copyrighted by the major powers, they probably won't last very long, as legal and technical obstacles will be brought to bear.

Edit: for an optimistic take, we have the late Ursula K Le Guin: "We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:23 pm 

allisonlastname wrote:
There will always be a way to watch youtube videos without ads, unless google manage to seize control of all computers and entirely eradicate user-written code. Which doesn't seem to far out of their wheelhouse, thinking about it.

Google is increasingly becoming a digital analog of the current Communist Chinese government.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:05 am 

allisonlastname wrote:
...unless google manage to seize control of all computers and entirely eradicate user-written code.

I remember my shock/surprise, on firing up my first MS-DOS machine, that it didn't come with at least a text editor and an assembler... and that was forty-odd years ago. The CP/M machine I had used previously had assembler and compiler; the 6502 system I used prior to that had an assembler and compilers were available. My main praise for Linux is that writing your own code is simple (even if you don't understand the layers of abstractions that current languages use) and that, even if not included in the ISO, assemblers and compilers are easily obtained.

The claim is persistently made that we need encrypted and cryptographically signed software to protect us from those nasty black-hats who would riffle through our files, blackmail us, spam us, raid our bank accounts. And they have a point, but to me it is more an issue of poorly thought out protocols: for example, does anyone really need a Turing-complete programming language in a word processor? In a spreadsheet? Let's not mention third party cookies and tracking pixels - none of their [expletive deleted] business. And of course, the software suppliers would much prefer that you used only their software, and incidentally keep all your data on their clouds... oh no, you can't trust that nasty open-source stuff, it will eat your soul.

(It doesn't help that modern software is often released ridden with bugs, because the Agile model lets (relies on) the user be the tester, 'because we can always fix the faults in the next sprint'.) I preach the Unix/Linux approach: one program does one thing and does it well; don't try to bolt on the kitchen sink. (cough: systemd?)

Whisper it: could it be that Google doesn't know what colour its hat is?

Neil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:12 pm 

barnacle wrote:
I preach the Unix/Linux approach: one program does one thing and does it well; don't try to bolt on the kitchen sink. (cough: systemd?)

Linux, in general, has become bloatware, just like its counterpart from Redmond, Washington (USA).  systemd is probably the worst of the worst when it comes to infusing Microsoftness into Linux.  Whomever thought systemd was a good idea needs to be taken out back and flogged.

On second thought, that individual should be taken out back and shot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:57 am 

I agree - but the concept of small and simple is good, and worth remembering.

Poettering, the author of systemd, now works for Microsoft. Can't help feeling there's a connection. He's got other 'simplifications' in mind, I believe.

Neil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:33 am 

Proxy wrote:
I've stayed with uBlock origin (aka the best adblocker) on Firefox and it works perfectly fine, YT or similar sites don't give me any notification or popups about using an adblocker.

I'm curious on how it's working for you. One day it just stopped for me and every video I played on Firefox with uBlock Origin still showed the YT warning about ad blockers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:58 am 

How about right now?

I just tried everything which triggered before and everything plays.

I use Opera as my primary browser for video viewing and it has an internal ad blocker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:58 am 

One point: I understand that YT does not target every user of an adblocker; just a small selection. So it could well be that you're simply not getting the warning delivered, rather than the adblocker is removing it.

That said, I often get the warning, but I can still view without adverts (except for in-programme promotions).

On the other hand: if I choose not to accept cookies, it complains that it can't show me things based on previous views. Fair enough, but it doesn't show me anything at all unless I actively search for something. Which I think is rather against the Euro cookie rules, which afaik say the sight has to continue working without cookies...

Neil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:02 am 

barnacle wrote:
I remember my shock/surprise, on firing up my first MS-DOS machine, that it didn't come with at least a text editor and an assembler... and that was forty-odd years ago. The CP/M machine I had used previously had assembler and compiler; the 6502 system I used prior to that had an assembler and compilers were available.

My first "PC" was a genuine IBM. The first generation had a base memory of 16K expandable to 64K on the motherboard. Mine was the second generation with 256K on the motherboard; I bought an expansion board with it (AST Six Pack) taking it up to the max of 640K thinking that as as programmer, I will need to be able to test on a machine with the full amount of memory. For the longest time, my boot disk would create a ram disk formatted with DOS along with commonly needed software, then reboot from it. I then had two empty floppy drives to use.

The first version of DOS I used was PC-DOS 1.1 - I wish I had bought 1.0 when the store was clearing it out as it is quite rare today. DOS did not come with an assembler; I think the Macro Assembler cost something like $100 or $150. DOS came with a line-oriented editor called EDLIN which was much better than CP/M's ED. I already knew WordStar from CP/M, so I got that for the PC as soon as I could. I even wrote a gizmo which would load the overlay files into memory so that WordStar never needed to hit the disk again after the initial load.

I had several CP/M machines all which bundled additional software like WordStar and Microsoft BASIC. DOS machines were not initially sold that way.

barnacle wrote:
My main praise for Linux is that writing your own code is simple (even if you don't understand the layers of abstractions that current languages use) and that, even if not included in the ISO, assemblers and compilers are easily obtained.

Simple if you knew C and the standard library; not everybody did at first. My big complaint was that I hated the AT&T syntax in the assembler, so much so that I refused to write code with it.

barnacle wrote:
The claim is persistently made that we need encrypted and cryptographically signed software to protect us from those nasty black-hats who would riffle through our files, blackmail us, spam us, raid our bank accounts. And they have a point, but to me it is more an issue of poorly thought out protocols: for example, does anyone really need a Turing-complete programming
language in a word processor? In a spreadsheet? Let's not mention third party cookies and tracking pixels - none of their [expletive deleted] business. And of course, the software suppliers would much prefer that you used only their software, and incidentally keep all your data on their clouds... oh no, you can't trust that nasty open-source stuff, it will eat your soul.

The worst security mistake made was allowing rich text in e-mails. It made it easy to create convincing phishing messages. They had to make it even worse by allowing JavaScript to run in e-mail messages which made it impossible to see where a link ultimately went. Compound that with URL shortening services.

The second worst was Microsoft deciding that it was a good idea to hide those ugly file extensions. So malware came in the form of YouMustSeeThis.jpg.exe

barnacle wrote:
(It doesn't help that modern software is often released ridden with bugs, because the Agile model lets (relies on) the user be the tester, 'because we can always fix the faults in the next sprint'.) I preach the Unix/Linux approach: one program does one thing and does it well; don't try to bolt on the kitchen sink. (cough: systemd?)

I have worked on "shrink wrapped" software. Meaning that once it was shipped, fixing bugs meant sending some kind of disk to customers who demanded it. We went to pretty great lengths to reduce the number of bugs, though you cannot catch them all. This was before Al Gore invented the Internet so that users can download patches and the automatic updates of today.

barnacle wrote:
Whisper it: could it be that Google doesn't know what colour its hat is?

Quite telling for a company whose motto used to be "Do no evil."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:09 am 

allisonlastname wrote:
unless google manage to seize control of all computers and entirely eradicate user-written code.

They are trying that. It is called ChromeOS. Luckily, we are not forced to use it.

iOS and Android are not much better as everything has to come from an app store. Microsoft is trying to move Windows that way. Fortunately, there was a recent legal settlement which hopefully opens up Android.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:28 pm 

I stand firmly on the side of 'if you can't write your own programs, you don't own the computer'. And with that: if your software uses proprietary file formats, you don't own your data either.

Neil