6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Woz unwell...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:52 am 

Reuters are reporting that Steve Wozniak was hospitalised in Mexico City yesterday.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-co-founder-hospitalized-mexico-due-possible-stroke-local-media-2023-11-09/

Hopefully just precautionary.

Neil

Post subject: Re: Woz unwell...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:06 pm 

I'm seconding hopefully just a precautionary. Thanks for letting us know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:46 pm 

barnacle wrote:
Reuters are reporting that Steve Wozniak was hospitalised in Mexico City yesterday.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-co-founder-hospitalized-mexico-due-possible-stroke-local-media-2023-11-09/

Hopefully just precautionary.

That page loaded but presented a blank screen, probably because I have all advertising blocked.  Here’s a page that complains about advertising but lets you see the content.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:53 pm 

AndrewP wrote:
I'm seconding hopefully just a precautionary. Thanks for letting us know.

Woz is 73 and for quite a while, doesn’t appear to have been too careful about managing his weight.  He is likely hypertensive, which, of course, can lead to a stroke.  I used to be like that but got “religion” when I was recovering from serious illness some years ago and spent time in a nursing home undergoing rehab.  That place was full of people who didn’t watch their health and had suffered strokes, some very debilitating.  I definitely don’t want to spend my final years like that!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:35 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I definitely don’t want to spend my final years like that!
Yes -- thanks, BDD.

Another excellent problem NOT to have is osteoporosis! This potentially crippling condition isn't restricted to little old ladies; it can be "enjoyed" by men, too... And you also needn't be elderly. Calcium is a key nutrient for bone health for everyone... and Vitamin D is part of the calcium equation.

I've updated my forum signature with a PSA which many of you have seen before. The calcium in your diet can't be properly metabolized if you're low in Vitamin D, and D deficiency is alarmingly common!

Definitions of "deficiency" vary, but Wikepedia notes that, "As of 2011 most reference labs used the 30 ng/mL standard" -- and, if 30 ng/mL is the threshold, then 69% to 77% of the US population is deficient. :shock:

This is a good time of year to be mindful of Vitamin D, as reduced sunshine (at least in the northern hemisphere) tends to aggravate the already serious dietary situation. I myself take a D supplement year round; also K2, as it plays a related role. For this reason, tablets containing both D and K2 have in recent years begun to appear more commonly, for example on the shelves of supermarkets.

-- Jeff

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:40 pm 

@BDD: It showed for me but I had both all adverts blocked (UBO) and all scripts blocked (NoScript). I'm guessing it didn't run the adblock detector script.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:55 pm 

There is a better article on the Guardian web site, it's currently the second most popular article, which shows there is a lot of interest in Woz. It says it was a minor stroke and he is now on his way home.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/09/apple-steve-wozniak-hospitalized-stroke-mexico-city?ref=upstract.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:10 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Another excellent problem NOT to have is osteoporosis...Calcium is a key nutrient for bone health for everyone... and Vitamin D is part of the calcium equation...Definitions of "deficiency" vary, but Wikepedia notes that, "As of 2011 most reference labs used the 30 ng/mL standard" -- and, if 30 ng/mL is the threshold, then 69% to 77% of the US population is deficient. :shock:...I myself take a D supplement year round; also K2, as it plays a related role.

That’s two of us.  I was diagnosed with a sub-optimum vitamin-D level about 10 years ago and, like Jeff, have gotten on the D and K2 regimen.

This osteoporosis thing can get serious enough for spontaneous bone fractures to occur, even without falling or otherwise suffering trauma.  My now-deceased mother-in-law fractured the humerus in her right arm by merely lifting a pot of (fortunately, cold) water while in the kitchen—she was in her early seventies when this happened.  When examined via X-ray, her doctor determined that osteoporosis had thinned the bone to about 60 percent of its normal density.  Subsequently, it was found that she was severely vitamin-D deficient.

As I recall, it took nearly four months for the fracture to fully heal, way longer than the usual six-or-so weeks.  After she was diagnosed, she was put on a prescription vitamin-D regimen, along with a calcium supplement.  Over time, her bone density improved, but never returned to normal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 am 

I hope he gets well. I met him a few times while working at Apple and at MacHack.
Great guy :(