6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:48 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Yes, two spaces.

Line break after every sentence!

Jokes aside, I (being probably a good 20-30 years younger than most people here) type very differently outside of this forum. My website has about three capital letters and none of them are at the start of sentences. You could write an entire book (and someone has) about all the Weird Stuff that emerges when text gets disconnected from speech (keymashes, emoticons, etc). Obviously that stuff doesn't turn up in resumes, but I felt like it was worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:30 am 

allisonlastname wrote:
My website has about three capital letters and none of them are at the start of sentences.

A website from which yours truly would immediately click away.  :?  Why would you even think that is okay?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:04 pm 

good enough for e e cummings…

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 pm 

Here's a funny but true story about how not to get a job.  I thought I had posted it here someplace before, but a search isn't finding it.

It was 1985.  I had an appointment for an interview with the president or other high-ranking man in a small technical company.  I got there on time, but he had forgotten he had scheduled me, and he was out.  His secretary called him on the phone and asked what she should do.  He apparently told her to try to interview me herself, and gave her some questions to ask me.  She appeared quite nervous but was trying to act very professional.  She was dressed the part, too.  She took me into a conference room and we sat down at the conference table, and she was looking over my resume and her notepad, again trying to act very professional.

There was a spider crawling up her suit jacket, and I didn't know if I ought to say something.  It went up over one shoulder, across the back, and came down the other shoulder, and was on her lapel, getting closer to her blouse and skin.

I had not yet learned the full effect that spiders have on women.

I finally said, slowly, "Um, I don't think you would want me to ignore this any longer, but [pointing timidly] you have a spider..." and I was not able to finish my sentence.  Her professional efforts instantly went out the window.  She jumped up, knocking the chair back, stiffened up, and screamed, "Get 'im off me!!"  I quickly brushed it off her lapel.  It landed on the conference table, and I slapped it, then scooped it up with a piece of paper (I didn't smash it enough to really make a mess), and took it over to the trash can and dropped it in.

That put an abrupt end to the interview.  It seems like there must have been someone in the surrounding offices who must have known the boss's secretary was in the conference room alone with a man, and here comes this scream, "Get 'im off me!!" ...but no one came.  I don't remember what happened after that, but I didn't get the job.  I'm sure she was so embarrassed about her behavior that she never wanted to see me again in her life! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:31 pm 

BigEd wrote:
good enough for e e cummings…

Never had any interest in his writings as well.  If you make me have to struggle to read what you’ve written, I won’t read it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:11 am 

And therein the problem. Take a language which already has one of the lowest redundancies, and remove semantic metadata. What could possibly go wrong?

Neil

(I can't remember which, but I heard mention of a book prize recently given to an author who penned a 500+ page epic as a single sentence. I shan't be bothering.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:49 am 

barnacle wrote:
(I can't remember which, but I heard mention of a book prize recently given to an author who penned a 500+ page epic as a single sentence. I shan't be bothering.)

Was it in Latin?  Or maybe classical Greek? :lol:

There's a joke about the speech of Cicero, 106-43 BC.  Latin language.  Not sure when the joke was first recorded.

A roman senator is running late to an important senate meeting....

He arrives 15 minutes late and enters to see each seat filled, with the exception of his own, and Cicero standing in the middle of the room giving a speech.

He manages to stealthily make his way to his seat without causing too much of a commotion and leans over to the senator next to him, asking in a hushed tone, "hey, what's Cicero talking about?"

The other senator simply shrugs and whispers back, "I don't know, he hasn't gotten to the verb yet"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:18 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
There's a joke about the speech of Cicero, 106-43 BC.  Latin language.  Not sure when the joke was first recorded...

:D :D :D

Academics are often like that, using a thousand words to project a momentary thought.  That makes sense in E.E. Cummings’ case, since his father was a college professor.  8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:46 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
A website from which yours truly would immediately click away.  :?  Why would you even think that is okay?

One of the frustrations with being the center of the universe is occasionally encountering a poor lost soul who doesn't recognize you as such? :P

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:02 pm 

We're in danger of Allisonlastname thinking us unkind... can I make it clear that my objections to abuse of conventional grammar, spelling, and white-space syntactical metadata are purely the views of an old pedant, and nothing against the original poster?

Neil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:16 pm 

Rereading my playful poke at BDD, I can see some room for misinterpretation. I was actually siding with allisonlastname ...

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:06 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

One of the frustrations with being the center of the universe is occasionally encountering a poor lost soul who doesn't recognize you as such? :P

It’s not about me at all.  It’s about the quality, or lack thereof, of material seen on line.  If someone wants me to look at their website, at least make it readable by using proper grammar, punctuation and spelling, and not using crazy fonts in soft, pastel shades.  If someone can’t do that, why should I expend my valuable time looking at that individual’s site?  Some people might be accepting of mediocrity.  I’m not part of that crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:08 pm 

barnacle wrote:
We're in danger of Allisonlastname thinking us unkind... can I make it clear that my objections to abuse of conventional grammar, spelling, and white-space syntactical metadata are purely the views of an old pedant, and nothing against the original poster?

Same here.  My gripes about E.E. Cummings-style writings are not targeted against anyone in particular.