6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:09 am 

This is a branch off of viewtopic.php?p=104073#p104073 in the "Copyright considerations" topic which, after nine years and five pages has started wandering into other (valid) discussions.  Member jgharston laments the unreasonableness of employers in what they think they're seeking in a programmer.

I had a boss, decades ago, who had worked at McDonnell Douglas and was telling about the problems with HR departments of such bureaucratic companies.  He said they had put out an ad for a programmer with 15 years' experience in C, back when C hadn't existed for 15 years yet.

It seems like most jobs, at least before the internet, were gotten through personal contacts like family, friends, neighbors, or old co-workers.  I myself have gotten most of my jobs that way.  I've been at the same company (although after a change in ownership, it's debatable whether it really is the same company) since 1992, and in the same business since 1985 which was the last time I had to look for a job.  I've had consulting jobs on the side at the same time, and those all came through contacts too, and were from people seeking me out after having seen things I had done.  The last one offered me such a high hourly wage I nearly swallowed my tongue when I heard it.  I wasn't even looking for a job, but there was the request that I help them.

I can say I don't really know how to search for a job today anymore since employers want it done online; but a resume is still in order, and at the place I worked from 1985 to 1992, I had to read probably a thousand resumes over those years, to hire a lot of technicians and a few engineers.  After that experience, I wrote up a web page on how to do your resume, which is different from what you might have heard in school and other places, as I was the one who had to read them and deal with them.  It's at http://wilsonminesco.com/HowWriteResume.html .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:39 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I can say I don’t really know how to search for a job today anymore since employers want it done online; but a resume is still in order, and at the place I worked from 1985 to 1992, I had to read probably a thousand resumes over those years, to hire a lot of technicians and a few engineers.  After that experience, I wrote up a web page on how to do your resume, which is different from what you might have heard in school and other places, as I was the one who had to read them and deal with them.  It’s at http://wilsonminesco.com/HowWriteResume.html .

The below quote, in particular, is important, especially if the HR person tasked with sifting through resumes has vision issues:

Quote:
I’ve seen [resumes] that used some fancy font for a very classy look; but it rendered my speed-reading useless.

Plain old roman font, 12 point, is best for readability.  Although so-called modern fonts are all the rage, the reality is a basic roman font, with its nicely-shaped descenders and serifs, makes each character sufficiently distinct that even a one-eyed Jack such as me can quickly read the text.

The other thing that helps is use of block formatting with paragraphs and two blank character spaces between sentences.

Quote:
Don’t get too wordy!  Can you say the same thing clearly with fewer words?

Amen!  Being wordy in an academic paper might be necessary (indeed, I think a doctoral dissertation earns more points for wordiness than for scholarly content), but it will definitely work against a job candidate, especially if there are a lot of resumes to be read.  If you find yourself writing multiple paragraphs, it’s likely you’re guilty of TMI...or as a friend says when he reads wordy resumes, you’re using the whole library to say the cow jumped over the moon.

Lastly, and as something Jeff would bring up, do not end sentences with a preposition!  :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:58 am 

It gets interesting when the employer asks for a full work history... hard to fit everything I've done in the last forty-odd years onto the recommended two pages without using two-point type! I've had potential employers complain that I didn't include my O-level results (UK exams taken at age 16 in the 1970s; they've changed somewhat since) even though I had included my bachelor's and master's degrees - both significantly more recent though still too long ago to be strictly relevant: my bachelor's included a segment on the care and feeding of the 8080 :mrgreen:

Experience suggests that you are far more likely to get noticed if you're applying to a small firm where the person employing you will be the person reading your CV; when a HR drone gets his hands on it he is _always_ just looking for keywords and is very unlikely to have the technical expertise to assess your abilities.

I've always been a bit leery of mentioning my hobbies on the CV, even as a throwaway couple of lines: among others, homebrew electronics? okay, seems hopeful... vintage cars? perhaps he wants too much money to support his habit... paragliding? eek, he's going to die! :mrgreen: but when I was interviewed for my last job (the one I retired from and then got persuaded to come out of retirement and contract for) I took along an SBC I was developing (65c02 as it happened!) because even though it was incomplete it _demonstrated_ a handful of skills they were looking for: I could (apparently) design the circuit, design a PCB, write and program the eprom, build the thing etc but perhaps more to the point an interest in the subject beyond just paying the mortgage (nobody gets into this level of job because it pays a fortune: it doesn't, at least in the UK). Practical skills which are simply not covered on a CV other than to claim you have them.

Neil

p.s. two spaces, Garth? That's a whole nother argument. I'd claim that it only applies when single-spaced fonts are used - it dates from typewriter days. A sensible word processor will automatically space sentence interstitials, but then, most people use Word and have never heard of typesetting. LyX for the win!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:55 am 

barnacle wrote:
p.s. two spaces, Garth? That's a whole nother argument. I'd claim that it only applies when single-spaced fonts are used - it dates from typewriter days. A sensible word processor will automatically space sentence interstitials, but then, most people use Word and have never heard of typesetting. LyX for the win!

Yes, two spaces.  [Edit: I'm not the one who brought that up; but yes, I wrote that way.]  It's even more important today than it was with typewriters, because typewriters' periods were huge, to protect the platen and also try to avoid punching holes in the paper because the period was struck with the same force as the capital L or O for example.  Two spaces between sentences is part of the block standard which modern writers of word processors, forum software, etc. are too young to have learned in standard typing classes after schools figured that everyone had a computer at home and could learn to type on their own without learning any more than where the keys are and how to hit them relatively quickly.  In high-school typing, we would get marked down if we didn't do the two spaces.  One space is simply wrong.  Who says?  Well, in spite of how many years this has been going on now, to this day I still have to back up and re-read things sometimes because they didn't make sense because it looked run on.  Compounding the problem, if the writer ends the sentence with an abbreviation and doesn't use two periods, one for the abbreviation and one to end the sentence, then uses only one space and starts the next sentence with someone's name or something else that is always capitalized, it causes extra confusion.  It's wrong.  Even in typesetting, where they try to justify both margins, you can still put more space between sentences than between words.  (Justifying both margins is pointless IMO though, especially with very narrow columns where sometimes words or letters get spread far apart to fill the line because the next word is longish and gets bumped to the next line.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:19 am 

barnacle wrote:
It gets interesting when the employer asks for a full work history... hard to fit everything I've done in the last forty-odd years onto the recommended two pages without using two-point type!

It's all subjective of course.  A bro-in-law used to help people get jobs and get back on their feet, and he even said it should be one page.  He was never an employer though.  We hired a man who had a five-page resume.  It was like the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark," action all the way through, and he lived up to it!  I spruce up my own resume every couple of years, and yes, it's definitely an exercise in figuring out how to say all the important stuff in fewer words, without making it cryptic.

Quote:
Experience suggests that you are far more likely to get noticed if you're applying to a small firm where the person employing you will be the person reading your CV; when a HR drone gets his hands on it he is _always_ just looking for keywords and is very unlikely to have the technical expertise to assess your abilities.

I don't know what "CV" stands for; but yes, any process that's less personal is going to be a problem.  Myself, I've determined I don't ever want to be in a big company again.  There's too much bureaucracy, the job is too inflexible, and too narrow, whereas smaller companies tend to adapt their goals to the strengths of the workers they have or can afford, and there's more freedom.

Quote:
paragliding? eek, he's going to die! :mrgreen:

or skydiving :mrgreen: That's the most dangerous one I know of.  Motorcycle racing is probably right up there, in fact in the Isle of Man time trial, they have an average of two riders die per year IIRC, one race per year.  How 'bout rock-climbing with no safety equipment.  I've seen videos of mountain bikers jumping huge gullies and riding on edges with 1000-foot drop-offs too.  (In the 1980's I worked at a place where the turnover rate was so high that that wouldn't have mattered though.  Every time the volatile boss lost his temper, he'd fire whoever was close; and the rest would realize this is no place to be and they'd quit.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:23 am 

Um...

I have many issues with the above posts and the job market as a whole - things like dictating style, fonts, etc. just don't work for me.

And these things shouldn't be a barrier.

Take traditional serif style fonts...

A lot of folks, like myself in the IT industry (and I'm specifically referring to programmers, engineers, designers and not management) are neuro diverse or autistic, "on the spectrum", or whatever. Normies just don't have a clue what our world looks like. My ASD extends to dyslexia, so reading fancy fonts with twiddly bits is often tricky. I don't see words, I see individual letters. I don't see a forest, I see individual trees. Simple things to normies like the lower case letter a. There are very few fonts that make an 'a' look like an 'o' - most, even the sans-serif ones like a little tail over the round part and yet it's recommended to use a more plain font without the curly twiddle twaddle added for teaching... Two spaces after a full stop? Who gives a shit.

A lot of us have learned to outwardly "mask" our condition, but some can't and never will and even when masking, there can be "triggers" that will cause us to drop the mask.

Using TeX/LyX,LaTeX? Great, but agencies want WORD so they can edit things out and their own things in when putting you forward to companies...

The trick is to not use agencies and not work for mega-corps and forget the "career path", but maybe that's just me. I've been self-employed for the past 20+ years and done mostly OK, but have had some interesting times. Fortunately before lockdown I worked with some little startups created by people I knew but it's not always been plain sailing - I know I've mentioned this before but the IT "industry" let me down big time some years back - and it seems ironic that while we embrace the special skills and talents that neuro diversity brings, we so often leave those people behind when things so south - where the word we don't like using is depression, so normies talk about "burn -out" or something similar because they can't cope with the D word...

I turn my hand to other things as a coping strategy - I ran a little artisan bakery for a while and a few years back I decided I needed to get back into the water (I was a very active scuba diver for 20+ years - had to give-up for other medical issues) so I trained as a lifeguard and swim teacher. These days, I teach swimming to kids for 3 days a week and I never set out to do that.... However it's amazing. I'm meeting all sorts of kids and am able to identify many neuro diverse even though their parents are in denial or feel it's a stigma of some sorts. I keep up my lifeguard training to be fully versed in CPR, Defibrillators and procedures.

At school I was regularly punished for my bad grammar, poor reading ability, spelling, etc. In the 60s and early 70s these things just hadn't been realised and I was just "thick". Fortunately someone, somewhere recognised something in me (maths, engineering and physics skills were good) and I ended up spending 8 years at university doing all sorts of wonderful things with computers, electronics, robotics, etc.

Where does that leave me? Well I'd love to get back to little paid project work but it's not going to happen now - I'm too old. (Even too old for the leisure industry who prefer younger and often female staff - fortunately I appear to be good at teaching and a nearby award-winning swim school snapped me up after an hours spoken meeting and an hour in the pool teaching rather than look at my age, etc.)

I did get lot of work some years back when I did a lot of open-source stuff - but that's what led to a breakdown - open source does not mean free support, but that's what people expect and demanded off me. Even when others took my free work and incorporated it into their commercial works (perfectly legit) but then left support to me... At one point I had over 10,000 emails on one particular project demanding support when it was nothing to do with me... So no more open source from me - it's "fire and forget" and accept nothing from users.

Back to jobs - I really liked working with little engineering startups - there you can get away with using an Arduino or some lashed-together Pi project, but as soon as the suits move it and start to use words like PLCs, SCADA, cloud and so on - the price (of basic equipment to run their thing) goes up some 30x and I move on... Trouble is now, little engineering startups are becoming harder and harder to actually start-up and expectations are larger and larger, so they try to start big in the first place. Need a microcontroller programming? Well, there's an agency in India that'll do that for you...

Time to get ready for my first pool visit today (I'm in 2 different pools today) The 134sxb can wait.

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:50 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Yes, two spaces.

Donald Knuth would disagree with you, as would:
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • The American Psychological Association
  • Microsoft Manual of Style
  • The Gregg Reference Manual
  • The Associated Press Stylebook
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/spaces-after-period/

But ultimately it's going to be the choice of the reviewer, not the author - as Gordon points out. Not knowing those, I'd say go with the single space standard, and hope that your word processor output is legible that way.

(I've argued this (and other issues of invisible contextual metadata in printed output) far too much on authorial sites previously so I'm letting this ride; my apologies for derailing the discussion)

Neil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:53 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I don't know what "CV" stands for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

When I got hired to teach at the college, they didn't ask for a resume. They asked for my CV. It has two lines: Bachelors in Mathematics, Masters in Mathematics. Where I work, they ask for transcripts because we are legally required to have someone teach only courses they "have experience in" according to the state. I remember before those rules, I would teach Engineering classes, and once they offered me Drafting and Design classes. I'm still able to teach Business Math classes I guess.

Conclusion: No resumes for colleges.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Yes, two spaces.

I'm with you on that, I still do that to this day.

drogon wrote:
A lot of folks, like myself in the IT industry (and I'm specifically referring to programmers, engineers, designers and not management) are neuro diverse or autistic, "on the spectrum", or whatever. Normies just don't have a clue what our world looks like.

I completely agree. When we have to work with other departments at the college, sheesh. We call them "circular thinkers" because they go round and round without actually *doing* anything. We are problem solvers, that's literally my job: I stand up in front of a lot of folks, present problems, and then solve them. I do this nearly a hundred times each day. Give me a problem, I will solve it. And sometimes we are a bit weird, but you know what? We solve the problems, they don't. They can't be normies without us inventing/creating/giving them tools to be normies.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:

That's good to know, but it's harder to find smaller firms. They have a harder time finding us, we have a harder time finding them. If I went to look for a job outside of the college, I wouldn't know where to start besides bit companies unfortunately.

Thank you Garth for starting this topic up. It's something that I've been wondering about for a while. Besides the small arguments about two spaces or one, I'd like to see others show the *where* and *how* of job searching/applying so people like me could actually get those jobs. [ Not that I'm thinking of leaving the college, but it's good to have backup plans, that don't always involve teaching. ]

Thank you everyone! Good discussion!

Chad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:00 pm 

Good reading!

I don’t have much to add. I worked in one company for my entire career. Part of my job was designing atomic bomb components (seriously). Wrote one resume in my entire life. Boring!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:20 pm 

I bet there are very many different trajectories for a working life. I only had about five or six employers, I think (retired now) although there were some changes of ownership. What served me well several times was having people on the inside who knew me and knew what I could do - I don't think I necessarily came across very well on paper or perhaps even in interview. And I think the question being asked was "will this person be useful" as opposed to "will this person fit precisely into this defined role." If I'd got into the sort of place which asked the second question, I probably wouldn't have done well. Indeed, a couple of times I was hired into something where I didn't do well, but was able to move into a role where I did better. Having flexible and imaginative management goes a long long way - if only it were always possible to find that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:41 am 

drogon wrote:
Back to jobs - I really liked working with little engineering startups - there you can get away with using an Arduino or some lashed-together Pi project, but as soon as the suits move it and start to use words like PLCs, SCADA, cloud and so on - the price (of basic equipment to run their thing) goes up some 30x and I move on... Trouble is now, little engineering startups are becoming harder and harder to actually start-up and expectations are larger and larger, so they try to start big in the first place. Need a microcontroller programming? Well, there's an agency in India that'll do that for you...

Exactly.  Especially in the context of 6502, or, as you mention, Arduino, the smaller company in a niche market will value what you can do, without a thought for telling you how you have to do it.  If you're creative and resourceful and can do it without submitting req.s for $30,000 of new equipment, they're happy.

I'm the only one in the company I work for who knows anything about programming languages, or has any knowledge of or preference for particular processors or microcontrollers, so I get to do things the way I want.  (The same goes for analog stuff, which is much of my work.)  The boss tells me the end result he hopes for, his vision, with very little idea of what it will take to get there.  Sometimes I have to say it's not practical at all, and other times I can tell him that it's much easier than he thought, and here's what I can do.  There have been times that I delivered a working prototype, and he said, "That's terrific!  Now let's add this and this too," and I was able to say, "Oh, I figured we'd be wanting that, so I already put it in," and he says, "You just earned your paycheck!"

The larger company will tell you exactly what you are to deliver, exactly what the schedule is (and you better put in a lot of extra hours if you get behind the schedule laid out by the bean counters!), what tools and processor and language you'll use, etc..  40+ years ago when I was getting into this field, my dad (who knows nothing about this field) was trying to encourage me to get into a big company with potential.  The biggest company I've been in had 350 people, not thousands, and I said "No more."  Second-largest was 120 in one plant, also much too big.  I got into electronics for fun, not money; and when the fun is gone, so am I.

Much of this job market has indeed moved to India and China; but what I've found is that it's very difficult to get what you want there for a niche market.  Problems include the communication barrier where it's hard to get them to understand the problem you're trying to solve with this envisioned product, and their attitude that it's not worth their time unless it will sell millions.

Oh, and neither my write-up on how to write a resume, nor my head post, ever said anything about two spaces.  That's just something barnacle brought up.  I think my second post made my point clearly.  I could further expand on it, but I'm going to drop it.  And to appeal to something like the Microsoft Manual of Style is ridiculous.  I have zero respect for MS.  In the picture of the author of that article listing those so-called "authorities," she looks much too young to know anything about typewriters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:17 am 

Aargh, mea maxima culpa: I mis-attributed a comment from BDD to you, Garth. My apologies.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:47 am 

barnacle wrote:
Aargh, mea maxima culpa: I mis-attributed a comment from BDD to you, Garth. My apologies.

There yuh go, now.  Blamin’ me!  :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:48 am 

plasmo wrote:
Part of my job was designing atomic bomb components (seriously).

Sounds as though you had a real blast!  :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:39 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
It seems like most jobs, at least before the internet, were gotten through personal contacts like family, friends, neighbors, or old co-workers. I myself have gotten most of my jobs that way.  I've been at the same company (although after a change in ownership, it's debatable whether it really is the same company) since 1992, and in the same business since 1985 which was the last time I had to look for a job.
Yes, in my first "real" job (after doing some teaching) I just walked into the office of Acorn Far East in Hong Kong, and more-or-less said "I'm an coder with eight years experience of Acorn systems", and started paid employment the next week.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
After that experience, I wrote up a web page on how to do your resume, which is different from what you might have heard in school and other places, as I was the one who had to read them and deal with them.
A couple of weeks ago I was back-and-forthing with an employment agency about the details in my CV, and in frustration I just sent them my aide memoir list of work experience, which is just four pages of:
Quote:
November 2022: Wisa/HSBC. IT Field Engineer.
May 2022 to October 2022: Venn/Health Education England. IT Service Desk Technician.
August 2021 to October 2021: NHS Rotherham Doncaster & South Humber CCG. IT Field Engineer.
etc.
going back to 1990, with *no* *other* *details*, and he said "that's much better". ! So what on earth are all those Job Centres advisors doing?