6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:08 pm 

I just released a new video. There isn't much of a market for 6502 coding videos but I'm pretty committed to keeping it going at this point :D

I ran into a surprising amount of issues along the way - I guess it just shows what you're in for when you want to do everything from scratch in 6502 assembly.

Unfiltered feedback appreciated!

https://youtu.be/Cexdm8K4kW0

and Complete hardware overview of my 6502 SBC R1 :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:58 pm 

I beg to differ - there's a bit of a market, I'm sure you'll get some hundreds of views fairly quickly. And there are a number of more technical 6502 channels with 1k subscribers or more. It's a market. It won't make you enough to retire in luxury, but you are reaching out to like minds, and helping some people move forward, and spreading the word. Keep at it!

We could perhaps usefully share recommendations of small channels with technical 6502 content, channels which might not be promoted algorithmically. We can be the word of mouth.

This is all not quite responding to your specific video! But I'm glad you made it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:30 pm 

I built my own text-based VGA board and I've added hardware scrolling feature. I found out as you did that while scrolling the screen one or more lines is easy enough, managing the cursor positioning is actually quite complicated. To add more complications is managing the cursor position in BIOS with VT52 escape sequences. So hardware scrolling solves some problems but also introduce another set of problems.

In 6502 version of text-based VGA board, I chose not to have hardware scroll function. Part of the reasons is the lack of hardware resources, but the other part is the realization that video board is design to run with a 25MHz 6502 which can paint 64x48 text screen quite rapidly so hardware scrolling really doesn't add that much speed enhancement.

This kind of deep dive is difficult to explain in an instruction video.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:52 pm 

BigEd wrote:
I beg to differ - there's a bit of a market, I'm sure you'll get some hundreds of views fairly quickly. And there are a number of more technical 6502 channels with 1k subscribers or more. It's a market. It won't make you enough to retire in luxury, but you are reaching out to like minds, and helping some people move forward, and spreading the word. Keep at it!

We could perhaps usefully share recommendations of small channels with technical 6502 content, channels which might not be promoted algorithmically. We can be the word of mouth.

This is all not quite responding to your specific video! But I'm glad you made it.

Thanks! :)

If I can help a few people without causing them too much pain along the way, I think I've done what I came to do :)

plasmo wrote:
I built my own text-based VGA board and I've added hardware scrolling feature. I found out as you did that while scrolling the screen one or more lines is easy enough, managing the cursor positioning is actually quite complicated. To add more complications is managing the cursor position in BIOS with VT52 escape sequences. So hardware scrolling solves some problems but also introduce another set of problems.

In 6502 version of text-based VGA board, I chose not to have hardware scroll function. Part of the reasons is the lack of hardware resources, but the other part is the realization that video board is design to run with a 25MHz 6502 which can paint 64x48 text screen quite rapidly so hardware scrolling really doesn't add that much speed enhancement.

This kind of deep dive is difficult to explain in an instruction video.

Bill

VT-52 looks so friendly compared to what the Raspberry Pi expects my poor little thing to understand - have a feeling I'll have to dive deep into xterm documentation or find something more fun to do..
Maybe I'll take a look if the Pi support XON/XOFF and maybe if RTS/CTS is enabled on boot in the SoC - I might breeze over ANSI Escape codes too but implementing them is soooo out of scope.. I'd rather code Flappy Bird :D

It really is a bit much to put into a video that's supposed to be somewhere between education and entertainment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:40 am 

I've remember finding your channel when you were still on a breadboard. I watch all the original homebrew content, when I can find it. I think there's a much bigger market than the algorithm knows about. Just not big enough to get its attention.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:52 pm 

Rumbledethumps wrote:
I've remember finding your channel when you were still on a breadboard. I watch all the original homebrew content, when I can find it. I think there's a much bigger market than the algorithm knows about. Just not big enough to get its attention.

Heard Dave Jones and Fran Blanche on the Amp Hour podcast recently - they're certainly both convinced they'd have an impossible time getting started in 2023 and they might be right. But that's just because there really is an overwhelming amount of great content out there.

Heck - if Adrian Black didn't already have a reasonably sized and dedicated following, it's hard to tell how far a 1 hour+ video of him testing floppy drives would reach.

But if you generally make good videos your audience doesn't click away from the algorithm will be your friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:43 am 

The question of course is whether you are looking to gain a following of thousands, and thereby monetising your time, or if you're more interested in explaining your thought processes and designs... I have a sneaking feeling that in spite of the number of clickbait channels, providing good content in bite sized chunks is the way to get viewers - whether you're presenting microelectronics or heavy engineering (for some reason I have been fascinated recently by Engel's Coach Shop rebuilding ten-foot wagon wheels!)

I liked Ben Eater's videos because he started simple and worked up (though I never built any of his stuff because of my antipathy to prototyping boards); equally someone like Slu4's complete build up - including the tool chain - for his home-brew CPU and associated system is accessible - but does require some thought from the viewer. Dr Matt Regan's recent series on how the zx81 generated its video is particularly worth a watch.

But with all that said: producing good video requires skills that many people simply don't have, even though the tools are freely available; graphic art is a discipline in itself (and as for whoever persuaded folk that a 4cm square box on the front of the shirt flashing a blue light at the viewer is an acceptable substitute for a discrete microphone costing a tenner...!)

Neil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:44 pm 

One thing to watch for, perhaps, as a producer of content, is what kinds of incentives the platform gives you. It may well be constructed to reward things which nudge you in the direction of being just the kind of attention-grabbing host that you didn't set out to be. Gamification is powerful, whether it's applied to the consumer or to the producer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:51 pm 

THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK TO WRITING 6502 CODE!!!

(Sorry :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:19 am 

AndersNielsen wrote:

I love your videos... excellent production quality. Well thought out and organized. OTOH, watching you swapping out the Flash ROM over and over again, breaking pins, etc., is cringe worthy.

I wonder if it would it be worth the effort to include in-circuit programming capability via a USB serial connection for iterative code development and testing on a project like this? I couldn't resist fleshing out a couple ideas (below)...

Please keep up the good work.

Attachments:
6504 RIOT Lab 2.png
6504 RIOT Lab 2.png [ 152.91 KiB | Viewed 12302 times ]
6504 RIOT Lab 3.png
6504 RIOT Lab 3.png [ 162.55 KiB | Viewed 16219 times ]
6504 RIOT Lab 4.png
6504 RIOT Lab 4.png [ 167.33 KiB | Viewed 16219 times ]
6504 RIOT Lab 4 Concept.png
6504 RIOT Lab 4 Concept.png [ 96.77 KiB | Viewed 16219 times ]

Last edited by Michael on Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:25 am 

Anders, do you also have a parallel Rumble channel?  A couple of days ago, YT said it would no longer let me watch any YT videos unless I turn off my adblock. I say no, there's a reason I have adblock, and it'd have to be some kind of emergency for me to disable it.  I'm encouraging video content creators to post on Rumble.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:13 am 

i've seen that notification a few times too, though uBlock being the most common adblocker is very fast with updating it's filters so it was gone as quickly as it came and now it works like normal again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:51 am 

Michael wrote:
AndersNielsen wrote:

I love your videos... excellent production quality. Well thought out and organized. OTOH, watching you swapping out the Flash ROM over and over again, breaking pins, etc., is cringe worthy.

I wonder if it would it be worth the effort to include in-circuit programming capability via a USB serial connection for iterative code development and testing on a project like this? I couldn't resist fleshing out a couple ideas (below)...

Please keep up the good work.

It wouldn't be impossible to make a flash ROM in circuit programmable, with the only change being a bodge wire to R/W I believe - basically a programming cycle would just load the bootloader to RAM and wipe the ROM. I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just via 9600 baud serial.

However, that would make it a strict requirement to use a modern ROM and that goes a little bit against the idea... OTOH used SST39SF010's seem to be flooding the market anyway so that's a clear plus.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Anders, do you also have a parallel Rumble channel? A couple of days ago, YT said it would no longer let me watch any YT videos unless I turn off my adblock. I say no, there's a reason I have adblock, and it'd have to be some kind of emergency for me to disable it. I'm encouraging video content creators to post on Rumble.

Sorry, I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:45 am 

Proxy wrote:
i've seen that notification a few times too, though uBlock being the most common adblocker is very fast with updating it's filters so it was gone as quickly as it came and now it works like normal again.

Thanks for the tip! :D

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:16 am 

barrym95838 wrote:
Proxy wrote:

Thanks for the tip! :D

I saw that warning to turn off ad blocking or subscribe maybe once or twice.

A few days ago, I got a warning that they will start blocking playback after 3 videos. I just got the 2 video warning.

Maybe only videos which are monetized trigger this?

I am waiting for them to block me entirely so that I can try some tricks to defeat it...