6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:30 am 

FWIW, as well as using Dark Reader on PC Microsoft Edge browser, I use Microsoft Edge browser on Android also and it has a built in dark mode setting you can enable, which works great, there's literally only been 1 or 2 minor websites where I've had to disable dark mode. It also has an add blocker built-in and just these two features make it way better than Chrome IMHO.

However, 6502.org doesn't seem to show up as a mobile site, so, whilst the colours are great, the text is tiny :|

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:24 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I and at least two others started turning all our posts black, color code 000000, because this ridiculous modern idea of "softening" the text by making it gray dramatically reduces my reading speed and comprehension, both.

Not only do I force the text color to black to improve contrast, I also force an extra space between successive sentences.  :D

Unfortunately, like a lot of other things involving technology, a sort of arms race has arisen between website developers and browser writers, a never-ending contest, as it were, of who can add the most useless features to the “browsing experience.”  The results are stupid-looking fonts, insufficient contrast, color where it is not needed, mouse-overs (particularly annoying), cookie disclaimers, delayed popups telling me to “click here” to enable an unwanted chat feature, etc..  And, no, I don’t want to sign up for your newsletter or participate in a survey that is hosted on Google.

barnacle wrote:
This, 100%. Stop telling my browser how you think I want things typeset.

Personal hate: a coloured pencil brigade designer who decides pale gray on slightly paler gray is in interesting and readable aesthetic, but can't be bothered to control the width of a column by the average number of words in it...

That pretty much sums it up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:47 pm 

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just discovered "Dark Reader" for Firefox that will turn every site into a dark mode site.

Doesn't look perfect on this site, but good enough for me.

https://darkreader.org/help/en/

** Edit ***

Looks like it was mentioned for Edge. Anyway, looks pretty good in Firefox, FWIW.