6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:30 pm 

Hi Guys,
About 1982 I developed an in-circuit emulator for the 6502 which was very popular at the time. I have posted information on this project at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1975. I also partially documented the design on an old web site at http://www.wix.com/davidkel06/davesprocessordesigns. I can provide more in-depth design information on request if anyone is interested.

So my purpose in drawing attention to this project is to determine what level of interest there may be in an updated version of the ICE. I consulted Mike Naberezny for his advice on potential interest in this project and he suggested I start by gauging the response from this forum. I would like to develop this afresh because I believe it would prove an invaluable tool for both H/W and S/W enthusiasts of the 6502. The design which I basically have in my head right now would have a 65C02 in its core with full system emulation features as outlined in the description of my original design. It would use a USB interface for a PC and full software tools and utilities for 6502 testing/development. I would most likely provide the pcb and possibly the parts. However if the demand was there I might provide the ready-made kit and would envisage that the unit cost would be in the order of £200 to £300.
I am surmising at the moment that there may not be many people interested in the H/W capabilities of such a system – such as faultfinding existing 6502-based systems or ‘bringing-up’ new products. However it should be born in mind that the system could also be used to test 6502 code in native mode – with single-step, breakpoints , logic analysis etc. in real-time. It would of course have ROM-emulation built in. I have documented these features in more detail on my web page.
So that’s it guys. While I had so much fun with the original design I would enjoy bringing it into the 21st century but that may not happen if few people are interested. Incidentally I also developed ICEs for Z80 , 8086, and 8051 derivatives.
If anyone would be willing to join me in the development of such a system I would be happy to discuss it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:21 pm 

Hi All,
its been a while since I contributed to this topic. I have observed that there has been little if any discussion of ICE design in the popular domain. Since quite a few people have shown an interest in the idea of in-circuit emulators in view of the response I received to my original posting under the username : dkelly78 , I thought I might add some extra information.
The original posting was in the 'Emulation and Simulation ' category and under the username , dkelly78.
(I had major problems re-accessing my account , hence the reason for dkelly84. The site administrator has promised to try and fix the problem.)

If you wish to gain a deeper incite into the principle and design of H/W in-circuit emulators you can download the attached file below. I have used my own ICE designs as references. The treatment is by no means exhaustive, and is intended to give the engineer an appreciation of the concepts and design methodology of the systems,
regards,

David Kelly

Attachments:
Design of In-Circuit Emulator Systems.doc [184.5 KiB]
Downloaded 138 times
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm 

David,

In case you are not aware of it, here is some information on a 65C02/Z80/6809 ICE that I worked on last year:
https://github.com/hoglet67/AtomBusMon/wiki

I'm happy to discuss this further in this thread if there is anything you want to know.

Dave

Attachments:
block_diagram.png
block_diagram.png [ 112.78 KiB | Viewed 1114 times ]