6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:57 pm 

I am looking at the timing of the 6502 STA (absolute) instruction - which requires 4 clock cycles - and the state of the signals involved in each of the cycles.
I have used the online simulator, https://floooh.github.io/visual6502remix/ that allows you to see the timing every half cycle, on a STA $3000 instruction (e.g.). Although it is more or less illuminating, the timing seems not to to be very precise.
Based on that and Synertek's documentation 'SY6500 8-bit Microprocessor Family', I have worked out a timing that I think could be correct.

Code:
Broken external image link
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52373994442_4425075e35_h.jpg

Could someone confirm or correct this timing for me. And if you have logic analyzer, post a picture?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:42 pm 

6502user, I'm unable to view the image you linked to. But allow me to refer you to three excellent manuals published by Chuck Peddle and his colleagues at MOS Technology back in the day. Links to the manuals are in the second half of this post; there are also some interesting and amusing comments by Peddle.

Regarding the manuals, you'll be particularly interested in Appendix A of the MOS MCS6500 Family Hardware Manual, which covers cycle by cycle behavior. Section A.3.2 (on page A-6) details the bus cycles of a load or store using Absolute address mode.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:20 pm 

Thanks, Dr Jefyll.

Please, just to check that I have published the image correctly, tell me if you can see this other one:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:37 pm 

I am able to see the image, 6502user. However, the image is hosted on a third-party site. For various reasons, it's better to attach the image with your post. (On this forum you're allowed to do that.) You'll probably find it easier, as well. :)

The waveforms seem correct except for one fairly minor detail regarding the clock signals. In your diagram it appears that every change on φ0 is followed shortly thereafter by a change on φ2, which in turn is followed shortly thereafter by a change on φ1. But I believe it should be φ0, φ1, φ2 (not φ0, φ2, φ1).
I'm not sure this detail is documented anywhere. And maybe it doesn't even matter, for what you're doing.

BTW and FYI, nowadays WDC (the only modern manufacturer of 65xx processors) recommends that only one clock pin be used. They recommend you apply the φ2 clock signal to pin 37 and leave pins 3 and 39 unconnected. Also they've changed the pin names slightly, as compared to older NMOS versions of the 6502. The NMOS versions call pin 37 φ0 but WDC doesn't use the term φ0.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
In your diagram it appears that every change on φ0 is followed shortly thereafter by a change on φ2, which in turn is followed shortly thereafter by a change on φ1. But I believe it should be φ0, φ1, φ2 (not φ0, φ2, φ1).
φ1 and φ2 are designed to have non-overlapping high periods (as shown in this diagram) which I think means the order of transition of φ1 and φ2 relative to φ0 necessarily depends on whether we're considering the positive-going or negative-going edge of φ0. I'm not sure if the diagram is strictly correct in this regard but I don't think the order of transitions rules that out. Agreed φ1 and φ2 aren't that relevant for OP's purpose of understanding the cycle-by-cycle activity of instruction execution.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:39 pm 

pjdennis wrote:
I think means the order of transition of φ1 and φ2 relative to φ0 necessarily depends on whether we're considering the positive-going or negative-going edge of φ0.
Thanks. I was too hasty. I only had a close look at the very first edge.

-- Jeff