6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:32 pm 

I was just in my lab yesterday working on a new project (IBM 5150 repair - OFF TOPIC with extreme prejudice!!!) and I got to thinking, besides simple hand tools, what do I use the most?

For me, in order of the frequency I use them, here are my top 5:

1) Soldering/rework station
2) DMM
3) Oscilloscope
4) Variable power supply
5) Waveform generator

These are also the tools I have spent the most money on and upgraded the most over the years.

There are many others I use fairly frequently, but I find I can either find their functionality in the above tools, or get by without them.

I'd be interested in others' perspective.

Last edited by BillO on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:22 pm 

For me, and surprisingly because that's one of the cheapest and simplest tools: it would be my logic probe! Sure you can get by with a multimeter but the beeps make troubleshooting so much faster. I use it more than my DMM
Next up would be my magnifying headband: a recent acquisition, but one I'm already pretty pleased with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:37 pm 

akohlbecker wrote:
For me, and surprisingly because that's one of the cheapest and simplest tools: it would be my logic probe! Sure you can get by with a multimeter but the beeps make troubleshooting so much faster. I use it more than my DMM
Next up would be my magnifying headband: a recent acquisition, but one I'm already pretty pleased with.

You must follow Adrian Black!

I have both of those too. The magnifying headband I use a lot when either of my magnifying lamps won't reach the work, but the logic probe hasn't been out of the DMM drawer in years. I usually have a scope turned on right in front of me at all times and it will give me a lot more information than the logic probe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:54 pm 

BillO wrote:
You must follow Adrian Black!

Haha, yes, got this idea from him :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:08 pm 

1. First thing I turn on in my lab is my lab PC which is the last thing I turn off when I leave.
2. Next is the adjustable lab power supply.
3. Inspection microscope for assembly or visual troubleshooting.
4. Oscilloscope with logical analyzer for measurements and troubleshooting.
5. Soldering station for assembly and design modifications
Honorable mention: Digital camera for documentation.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:47 pm 

akohlbecker wrote:
For me, and surprisingly because that's one of the cheapest and simplest tools: it would be my logic probe!

Ditto on that.

For many years, a logic probe was my only digital troubleshooting tool, with an occasional use of a scope. In fact, I have two logic probes, one of which is some 34 years old. I still regularly use the logic probe for troubleshooting, but the logic analyzer and scope are seeing more activity as of late.

Quote:
Next up would be my magnifying headband...

I used a lighted bench magnifier, 8 diopters. I also have a 10-diopter magnifying headband—actually a machinist’s magnifier. It's not suitable for parts placement or soldering due to the poor depth of field, but is great for inspecting solder joints and the like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:51 pm 

My tool list (beyond hand tools) is pretty short and simple:

1- DMM
2- Soldering station

That's usually it... if I have a problem that's not obvious:

3- Scope
4- Logic Analyzer if needed.

If all else fails... I turn it off, get a glass wine and mull it over till the next day... which has worked surprisingly well.

I also use my lighted magnifier lens for assembly/inspection, and the camera on the iPhone now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:13 pm 

floobydust wrote:
If all else fails... I turn it off, get a glass wine and mull it over till the next day... which has worked surprisingly well.

Indeed! This is a technique I find very handy too. And not just for electronics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:21 pm 

BillO wrote:
floobydust wrote:

Indeed! This is a technique I find very handy too. And not just for electronics.

Ditto, although in years past, it was the kind of “wine” produced by the fine folks at the Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont, Kentucky. :D Alas, I am no longer allowed to imbibe. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:55 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Alas, I am no longer allowed to imbibe. :cry:

I did all of my drinking in the last century, and the damage was measurable, but I have heard that "one" serving a day has certain health benefits, at least for a normal adult, which I understand may not be applicable in your case.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:01 pm 

I've been here almost a year now, still "the new guy", so my take may be different than y'alls.

1) Soldering iron with lead solder (it's the best) and solder wick. I make mistakes!

2) Scope. It's my eyes and ears! I wish I would have had one in my early-early days.

And that's it. I have a multimeter, but it's cheap and semi-broken. I would use it only to not have to pull out the scope. Never had a logic probe. Haven't needed a magnifying glass (yet).

floobydust wrote:

So true. Just getting up and walking around for 5 minutes sometimes helps.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Ditto, although in years past, it was the kind of “wine” produced by the fine folks at the Jim Beam Distillery in Clermont, Kentucky. :D

That's more my style :)

Chad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:08 am 

For me, the most important tools for tinkering with electronics on my work desk are:

1. a PC, because all schematics, datasheet, calculators are on this device.
2. Soldering station, just one year old, because last year i need a new tip for my old weller tcp, round about 35 years, but the one i needed wasn't there anymore. :cry: The new one is a weller, too, of course!
3. Hameg Oszi
4. fixed magnifying glass with lighting, because of my eyes...
5. Unit-T (yes) DMM
6. Hot Air station (ATTEN something...)
7. very simple third-hand
Salea Logic 8-Channel
Variable power supply (normally i make everything with a simply powersupply, so a plug-in power supply is usually sufficient)
Waveform generator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:00 pm 

Quote:

If the solution doesn't occur to me in a few minutes, I find a nap often jogs loose a new idea or two. If I wasn't afraid of undrunk wine going bad before I got to it, I'd do that too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:01 pm 

Yes, a PC is important. I have 4 of them in my lab. Not sure why I left them off the list, but I guess I just don't think of them as electronics specific instruments/tools.