6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:03 am 

Hey everyone!

I have been thinking about what types of programs I would want to create for my 6502, and my short list is: Text Editor, Calculator/Spreadsheet, Coding Environment, and System Monitor. Except for the System Monitor, most of those are obsolete given that we can do the rest on any ol' PC now. Besides that list, the only other thing I can think of is games. Lots of games.

So, what do YOU use your 6502 for? Give me some ideas!

Chad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:34 am 

sburrow wrote:
So, what do YOU use your 6502 for? Give me some ideas!
Chad

Retro fun/nostalgia.

I started out as a sort of anniversary of my 40th year of first using the 6502 (Hence the name Ruby). I had no real goal other than to make a 6502 system and see where it went, but I sort of had a notion of "How would it turn out knowing what I know now vs. what I knew then" if that makes sense. Wondering if I could improve on what we did back then, and what was done back then.

The reality was that the answer was actually nope. Can't overly improve on it and the BBC Micro was the pinnacle of my own 6502 life. It had a usable operating system, supported paged ROMs, filing systems, network, colour graphics and the fastest BASIC around that also supported modern things like local variables and recursion.

My system started as a sort of nod to the Apple II I first used in 6502 land - with a sort of WozMon like "monitor". Graphics was PAL composite video - 320x240 monochrome resolution which I quickly gave-up on and while I used genuine 65C02, I also used modern "glue" logic to make the build easier - an ATmega initially for video, subsequently for serial, filing system and math accelerator, and a GAL.

I quickly kicked myself many times for writing a somewhat crude "monitor" which would run Applesoft and EhBASIC when I'd used the BBC Micro a few years later - no hex monitor there, but a comprehensive operating system that took the chores of graphics, keyboard, network and filing systems away from the language/application, so my system migrated to that and I ran BBC Basic and BCPL on it.

I'd used BCPL back in the 80's on BBC Micros, so the next step was to look at a better BCPL - again with the idea of what can I do today that I couldn't back then - and stupidly went down the "if an 8-bit Beeb at 2Mhz can run 16-bit BCPL well, then surely a the 16-bit 65816 can run 32-bit BCPL better"... So I built a 65816 system.

The reality isn't quite so but it runs it well enough and I implemented a multi-tasking OS written in 65816 assembler and BCPL which can compile code and run an editor and various utilities.

And that's where it's at today - graphics are via a serial line to a "smart" terminal running on my desktop but it's not the fastest thing in the world, however it did get me back in BCPL, an almost forgotten language which I do think is very well suited to old (and new!) 8-bit systems looking for something else. Of-course C has made great leaps and bounds too, so it's too easy (and lazy) for people to just use C now.

I've ported my BCPL system to a RISC-V platform and it runs on that more or less identically to the '816 system, although much much faster - 2-8x faster clock for clock Hz... As a challenge to this, and to learn RISC-V assembler, I started by writing a RISC-V emulator in BCPL directly on my '816 system. I was able to use it to initially run some simple test C programs and latterly to write the bytecode interpreter that BCPL needs to run and with it I can run my BCPL OS on my emulated RISC-V system running on my '816 BCPL system... It's not fast, but a good proof of concept. I get the equivalent of a 2Khz clocked RISC--V 32IM system which isn't bad for something written in BCPL compiled to a bytecode interpreted by '816 assembler running at 16Mhz...

Fun times!

-Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:04 pm 

To paraphrase Ratty in Wind in the Willows: "Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about with 6502."

For me, that's the essence of it, whether it's trying to code something in a mini challenge, or just running some demo or benchmark, or trying to understand some historical OS feature, or working with someone on a new gizmo to add to a Beeb. Perhaps the most rewarding thing is setting a mini challenge and getting ingenious contributions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:05 pm 

Quote:
My first microcontroller gig was in 1985 -- four years before I acquired my first 8088 DOS box. :shock:

Yup. Hard to imagine not relying on DOS/Win/x86. But, back in the day, my homebrew 65xx machines were my only computing platform. And that's what I used to get into microcontrollers -- which were new technology back then!

Heh! Hard to imagine a time when microcontrollers didn't exist! But the Intel MCS48 family was the first, or among the first. I wrote an MCS48 assembler, and -- since the 8741 and 8748 are EPROM-bases devices -- it was necessary to build an MCS48 programmer. (Photos, and more details, in this thread.)

I only ever did four or five MCS48 jobs. Still, it was solid, problem-solving experience. And my homebrew 65xx machines had a lot of other, real-work responsibilities as well (kind of like Garth's workbench computers). Nowadays 65xx is just a hobby for me.

-- Jeff

ps: a previous thread on much the same topic: Why do we do this?
Aslak3 wrote:
This is a bit of a random question. Hopefully it will lead to some interesting discussions. :)

In short, why do you have this interest that we all seem to share? [...]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:19 pm 

Well, for me, electronics has always been a huge hobby, cutting my teeth on vacuum tubes in the 60's. Back then it was all about audio gear (Dad's hobby as well). As semiconductors started to become available, I bought some of those for experimentation as well. I still use vacuum tubes for my audio gear however.

I got started with the 6502 late 70's... (I was working on IBM midrange systems back then as well). I always found the hardware and coding interesting and keep my hand in it now to help keep my mind sharp. Designing and building the hardware, then writing some code to make it go can be an interesting challenge. Plus, I've adapted EhBasic and DOS/65 to my latest systems. If I stop having fun doing this, I'll just stop doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:39 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Still, it was solid, problem-solving experience. And my homebrew 65xx machines had a lot of other, real-work responsibilities as well (kind of like Garth's workbench computers).

I have a long (but not complete) list of things I've used my workbench computer for, with a few pictures, at http://wilsonminesco.com/BenchCPU/#whatfor . Although it was all fun, two-thirds of it was also for work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:41 pm 

Mostly I use my POC units as play toys. When I designed and built POC V1.0 (13 years ago—doesn’t seem that long ago), it was in response to onerous medical problems and the need for a possible hobby substitute for another interest of mine, which is large-scale model railroading. POC V1.0 was actually a prototype for a one-off machine controller (of which I built five total for a client), but beyond that, I had no specific use intended.

After I had finished the machine controller project, there was POC V1.0 sitting around doing nothing but getting dusty. I decided to continue monkeying with it, which led to POC V1.1 (first one with working SCSI), V1.2 (first one with four serial ports and first one to reach 20 MHz) and the current unit, V1.3, the first to have more than 64K of address space.

Each successive rendition has become incrementally more powerful and more capable, yet I still don't have a specific use intended. For me, hobby computing is more about the journey than the destination. In other words, designing and building the hardware, along with designing and writing software, is really where my interests lie.

Gordon’s successes with BCPL on his 65C816-powered Ruby have tempted me to work out implementation of BCPL or something similar on one of my POC units. However, another goal of mine keeps getting in the way, which is writing a lightweight operating system kernel that supports preemptive multitasking a la UNIX. I'm already part of the way there in having developed a suitable filesystem. So I think I will continue down that track.

I concur with Garth that the modern PC is little more than an appliance. Like a toaster or hammer, you use a PC to accomplish a task. As such, PCs hold little interest for me. Give me a 65C816 and some gates, and my interest will be piqued.

Speaking of which, I need to finish up POC V2.0 and see if she goes or blows. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:51 pm 

floobydust wrote:
Well, for me, electronics has always been a huge hobby, cutting my teeth on vacuum tubes in the 60's. Back then it was all about audio gear (Dad's hobby as well). As semiconductors started to become available, I bought some of those for experimentation as well. I still use vacuum tubes for my audio gear however.

Up until recently, one of my income sources was building vacuum tube instrument amplifiers, specifically the amps’ “heads.” Alas, a deteriorating physical condition, coupled with failing vision, put an end to it.

I am still able to get my vacuum tube “fix” in the form of my Ampeg B15N amp I use with my upright bass. I also have a Fender Rumble 200 bass amp, which is a nod to the reality of the Ampeg’s nearly 100 pound weight and how I can’t manage it anymore—I use the Rumble 200 on gigs most of the time. Love the light weight of the Rumble 200, but also love the warmth and fatness of tone that old Ampeg produces. :?

I've given some thought to making some tube power amps for my stereo to substitute for the Dynaco 400 that currently handles that task. What has stopped me from proceeding is the substandard quality of currently-produced tubes. Microphonics seem to be a constant problem with them. NOS tubes are a possibility, except for the prices they command, and the risk of one being gassy due to hydrogen infiltration.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:48 am 

BigEd wrote:
To paraphrase Ratty in Wind in the Willows: "Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about with 6502."

Haha, that's a bingo ;D Mostly it's just gratifying to my inner tinkerer - it's neat that we have ready access to so much raw horsepower these days, but there's a real pleasure in just fiddling around with something small and simple for the hell of it, and the 6502 hits a nice sweet spot of being simple enough that one can keep pretty much all the relevant information in memory while still being reasonably capable. And with newer DIY designs it becomes possible to keep the nice, simple aspects without the baggage that vintage designs had to cope with due to cost concerns or legacy issues...

Do want to actually do a little more with it, though - when I get around to putting together a text editor that suits my tastes, I'd like to use one of my 65C02 systems as a distraction-free writing machine... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:06 am 

This question reminds me of one my wife frequently asks about my electronics projects. I’ll show her my latest triumph, trying to get across how terribly clever I’ve been, and she’ll frown and ask: “But what’s it for?”

“For? FOR? It just is!”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:30 pm 

This is good info! Thank you all. And thank you Jeff for the link, I read that one as well.

For most of my life, I have encountered "computer people" who build these big rigs: many gig's of RAM, dozens of processor cores, video cards I've never even heard of, and hard drives that might as well host the whole internet itself. I ask them, "So, what do you do with it?" Auto response: "Well, I play Fortnite on it sometimes." Great.

So, for most of my life, I had been turned off from "hardware" entirely. Until I came here. And though I still see you and I say things like, "I can run my 6502 at 20 MHz!" it is different. Because we CREATE these computers. Most folks who boast about their new video card just bought it on newegg and then plugged it in to a slot, big whoop. But when folks HERE boast about their new video card, they made it from scratch!

I myself am a video game programmer, so my intention with the 6502 is to create retro video games. Very similar to what Agumander is doing here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5888

That kind of thing is VERY inspiring.

Well, thank you everyone, and if anyone else wants to chime in, you are welcome to!

Chad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:47 pm 

Space-optimized 6502 assembly language software is my passion, and it occupies my idle thoughts often.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:35 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
floobydust wrote:

Up until recently, one of my income sources was building vacuum tube instrument amplifiers, specifically the amps’ “heads.” Alas, a deteriorating physical condition, coupled with failing vision, put an end to it.

I am still able to get my vacuum tube “fix” in the form of my Ampeg B15N amp I use with my upright bass. I also have a Fender Rumble 200 bass amp, which is a nod to the reality of the Ampeg’s nearly 100 pound weight and how I can’t manage it anymore—I use the Rumble 200 on gigs most of the time. Love the light weight of the Rumble 200, but also love the warmth and fatness of tone that old Ampeg produces. :?

I've given some thought to making some tube power amps for my stereo to substitute for the Dynaco 400 that currently handles that task. What has stopped me from proceeding is the substandard quality of currently-produced tubes. Microphonics seem to be a constant problem with them. NOS tubes are a possibility, except for the prices they command, and the risk of one being gassy due to hydrogen infiltration.

Something tells me you probably have an original copy of the "Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook" written by Jack Darr. I still have mine sitting in one of the bookcases in my office. Granted, we're a bit off topic here, but I would agree that the current supply of vacuum tubes leave much to be desired. In my view, the same applies to tube sockets as well. The other stuff like transformers (iron in general), resistors, capacitors, etc. are readily available, and in very high quality as well.

However, I've yet to experience a problem with Hydrogen Infiltration with any NOS tubes in my stash. I have tubes dating back to the late 20's into the late 80's. None have had any such issues. Granted, I lost a classic Mullard EL34 that was wrapped up some years ago... it just lost vacuum and the getter went white. Sadly, it was part of a matched quartet no less. But I have lots of 45, 2A3, 6B4G, 6550, KT-88, 6L6GB/GC, 5AR4/GZ34, etc. and hundreds of 7-pin and 9-pin miniatures... and they are still perfectly good. I've also experienced some terrible tubes with microphonics... old Globe type 45 DHTs are a good example, not to mention the recent EML45 reissue (not really a 45 in my book) are horrible, yet somehow get overly positive reviews.

Prices... well, even the recent Tung-Sol branded stuff from Russia has been pricey, same with everything else in current manufacture. However, you can buy NOS 6550 tubes (GE 6550A or Philips 6550) for $80 a bottle.

https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/6550a-5137.html

Personally, I'd rather buy those than spend similar amounts on the new stuff. Fortunately, I'm well stocked for what I need for the forseeable future. But overall I agree... it's an expensive proposition to build custom gear for other people... an old buddy of mine was doing the same (also a master luthier building guitars) and stopped for similar reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:06 am 

speculatrix wrote:
This question reminds me of one my wife frequently asks about my electronics projects. I’ll show her my latest triumph, trying to get across how terribly clever I’ve been, and she’ll frown and ask: “But what’s it for?”

“For? FOR? It just is!”

I suppose that could be applied to a lot of things, like fast cars you can't legally take advantage of on public roads, or painting a picture when you could just print a photograph big, or rock-climbing the face of a huge rock when it would be easier and safer to just hike up the back way instead, or any of so many other interests. I do use the 6502 in my work though, (and some for fun too).

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I concur with Garth that the modern PC is little more than an appliance. Like a toaster or hammer, you use a PC to accomplish a task. As such, PCs hold little interest for me. Give me a 65C816 and some gates, and my interest will be piqued.

A few of us have corresponded privately about
  • the state of modern PCs which have gotten so the average computer owner has no hope of ever understanding his own computer (leading to the appliance comment), and
  • has also gotten terribly inefficient (just because the hardware's technology allows it, in processing power, price of memory, etc.), and
  • how it was easier for young people to get into programming 35 years ago than it is today (See here and here and here)

and have discussed the design of an '816-based home computer for us ourselves to use, and to sell. One member, retired but fairly young and apparently able to put resources into this like one would do in the example interest listed above, was building shop to make these, and wanted me to head up the design team. He said it did not have to be profitable for him to consider it a success (although it'd be a bonus if it did become profitable). "This is love," he said. He was totally against using Kickstarter or GoFundMe. It was an investment in fun and function, not business.

Unfortunately he seems to have had some setbacks in life, and he kind of disappeared. I don't have any details, but the first thing seems to have been a fairly serious injury from an accident in the construction of his shop. Another kind of accident caused him to lose all data, all his computer work. (Please keep a good system of backups everybody!) At about the same time though, other semi-commercial efforts surfaced, including Stefany Allaire's Foenix project, The 8-Bit Guy's Commander project, and a couple others, and it seemed that since they got a head start, it would make more sense to see what we could do with theirs, even if we did all the software work, whether writing our own or adapting things like Lee's EhBASIC.

So this particular project is dead, but I still hope another one of this type will be successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:29 am 

speculatrix wrote:

“For? FOR? It just is!”

:lol:

Wife: "Cool! So... what's your goal?"

Me: :shock: :?

[My introduction]