6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:51 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
how it was easier for young people to get into programming 35 years ago than it is today (See here and here and here)

I got a chuckle out of this from one of those articles:

Quote:
When you look at older generations, you notice another striking trend: a comparatively larger proportion started programming between the ages of five and ten. 12.2 percent of those aged between 35 and 44 started programming then.

They think 35 to 44 is an “older generation?” What does that make you and me, especially me? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:34 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
They think 35 to 44 is an “older generation?” What does that make you and me, especially me? :D

Our kids are almost in that bracket; but although I'm beyond the years of just getting going professionally, I'm definitely not old, and I have no plans to retire in the foreseeable years. My parents are old.

But as much as I would have liked for our kids to get into programming, they never did. The older one did use C64's to write reports for school in junior high, using GEOS, geoWrite, geoPaint, etc., and played a lot on it too, although never games. He found a BBS where he downloaded, with the 300-baud C64 modem, tons of C64 software late at night when the phone rates were lowest, and still ran up a phone bill of over $70 in one month, back when that was quite a lot more money than it is today, and there was no such thing yet as nationwide free calling. Years later he was very successful working for a managed-services company that installed and maintained computer and digital-phone networks for schools, medical offices, and churches.

The other son did some html just for fun making his own website about bicycle racing (which never went live). Years later he married a girl who graduated at the top of her class at the university in computer science. This was not computer engineering, and she knows virtually nothing about circuits, interrupts, etc., but rather html, CSS, sql, database, Java, Javascript, C, C#, C++, Python, and a lot of other things I know virtually nothing about, and she still works for the school in maintaining their website, things like online classes, class scheduling, student enrollment, records, payroll, etc.. She got me this book:

Attachment:
math book2.jpg
math book2.jpg [ 26.4 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:25 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Quote:
When you look at older generations, you notice another striking trend: a comparatively larger proportion started programming between the ages of five and ten. 12.2 percent of those aged between 35 and 44 started programming then.

Hm! THAT is definitely a difference.

Going through college, I saw a lot of "computer information systems" majors. I saw them because I was in their classes, as a math major. And I gotta say, *most* of the folks in there were older and hadn't used computers all that much in their lives. Why then are they CIS majors? Because someone told them the pay was good... Seriously. For the capstone CIS course (which again I took for fun) I was on a team of 6 people, all the rest were CIS majors, and *I* was the lead programmer. In fact, I finished the semester long project in about 2 days. I later revised it to make it just perfect in 3 days. The rest of the semester they were just yellin' at each other about flowcharts and progress reports or something, I didn't pay attention.

This is not to make myself look good, but rather to show them up. Why was a math major more competent then a CIS major? Seriously? Because they were in it for the money. They didn't care *what* they were doing, as long as it made the highest pay check. Similar with a lot of "engineers" that go through our program.

(And then 99% of these folks think they *need* schooling to learn things like computer languages and networking. Wow, really?)

Anyways! That really might make the difference here BDD. Those of you who were doing this back in the day, were doing it as children. Talented and gifted, not yet skilled. Passionate. That's what sets y'all apart.

Chad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:08 pm 

sburrow wrote:
That really might make the difference here BDD. Those of you who were doing this back in the day, were doing it as children. Talented and gifted, not yet skilled. Passionate. That's what sets y'all apart.

Thanks for the compliment, although I was an adult when I first got into computers. When I was a child (1950s), most people didn’t even know what the word “computer” referred to nor had ever seen one. The idea of someone actually owning a computer was preposterous, to say the least. My first contact with a computer was while in the Navy in the mid-1960s. It would be four years after that when I landed my first job programming a computer—in machine code, no less.

I did build a relay “computer” while in high school, but that was really a type of calculator and used the then-ubiquitous rotary stepping relay as a type of memory store. It didn't have the sort of programmable logic we would expect of a real computer, but did make some pretty cool noises when it was operating. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:29 pm 

Do you want an idea? Code the ROM of a graphics card controlled by the 6502, with and API that could be called from another 6502 as main CPU in the same system, so accelerated graphics could be done with no use of the main CPU. A graphics co-processor. Maybe it could even generate sound.