6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: world computer day 2022
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:08 pm 

Hi there,

Jim Scherrer, the organizer of the WorldComputerDay 2022 (see https://worldcomputerday.org/ ) has contacted me, as this year's world computer day is about the 6502, and he would like to "connect with all the folks on the 6502.org" web site.

I think this is a cool idea, so here's the post to start the discussion!

André

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 pm 

Tuesday Feb 15th, then - save the day!

As it happens, there's a regular online ABUG on that day - about 12 to 20 people will be meeting online to discuss Acorn computers, mainly, including their 6502 offerings (System, Atom, BBC micro, 6502 second processor, Electron)

I can chime in on the Fediverse too... and the retrocomputing forum (dot com)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:52 pm 

I hope someone organizes a programming challenge; those are fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 pm 

We have over a month, plenty of time to come up with new hardware for World Computer Day that highlights 6502.

There are plenty of 6502 we can dig out of museum, but if we want to educate newcomers about 6502 of today, what does a newly designed (RetroFuture?) 6502 for the general public looks like?
This is obvious part of new 6502:
* more memory
* faster
* lower power
* easy to assemble
* expandable
* affordable
* nice enclosure
* standalone
* BASIC

Here are the hard part:
* "jazzy" display
* operating system
* connect to internet
* wireless
* etc...

Thoughts?

I particularly like to hear from newcomers.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:14 pm 

For video, maybe the VLSI products like the VS23S0x0 line, such as https://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs23s010.html
or https://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs23s040.html. I saw them earlier looking into past posts here on the video topic. If more modern output is required, a microcontroller for VGA out or Pi for HDMI out may be options.

plasmo wrote:
We have over a month, plenty of time to come up with new hardware for World Computer Day that highlights 6502.

There are plenty of 6502 we can dig out of museum, but if we want to educate newcomers about 6502 of today, what does a newly designed (RetroFuture?) 6502 for the general public looks like?
This is obvious part of new 6502:
* more memory
* faster
* lower power
* easy to assemble
* expandable
* affordable
* nice enclosure
* standalone
* BASIC

Here are the hard part:
* "jazzy" display
* operating system
* connect to internet
* wireless
* etc...

Thoughts?

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:51 pm 

plasmo wrote:
we want to educate newcomers about 6502 of today, what does a newly designed (RetroFuture?) 6502 for the general public looks like?

I'm a newcomer to the 6502!

My generation (whatever that means) wants the ooo and the ahh. As in, flashy display and audio. It's all about what you SEE and HEAR, the output, that matters. Graphics demos, audio demos, etc. How do you do that?

Video games. Video games show of the potential of a system, in my (generations) opinion. It's neat to have a "1.21 gigawatts" machine, but it's gotta show itself off somehow. Likewise, video games make a demo *interactive*, which is much better than just watching something. It's also neat to use true retro controllers, joysticks, and gamepads, making it more authentic. At this point, if you look at newer games, they are copying older games and just making them "HD", again whatever that means. Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, whatever, it's all rehashed from the 80's and 90's, but with cool new graphics and sound. Tetris is something everyone can dig, and is fairly simple to make. Showing off classic arcade style games also perks people's interest.

At least that's what I try to show off at our college's annual Math Appreciation Days. I haven't done any of that for a 6502 (yet, I'm working on it though!), but I make old computers shine beautifully for hundreds of college kids each year, using my own non-copyrighted video games. I have made literally dozens of video games to display at these events, for at least 6 years now, if not longer. I can tell you Tetris is the biggest winner. Co-op Gradius comes in second. Rogue was surprisingly popular with many folks.

Lastly, doing something out of the ordinary also is neat. Like using a HUGE LED DISPLAY that's measured not in inches, but feet. Or somehow making a little 4" square board rock the socks off you when connected to a couple of bass thumpers. Again, the ooo and ahh.

No colors, no sound... no fun.

Just a thought from this 'younger' guy!

Bill, have you already been making plans?

Chad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:10 pm 

sburrow wrote:
No colors, no sound... no fun.

And yet... when the Raspberry Pi came out... forget the graphics and sound, let's blink an LED and the kids went wild!

Maybe it's those kids who now want the bling... Ah well! :-)

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:32 pm 

drogon wrote:
And yet... when the Raspberry Pi came out... forget the graphics and sound, let's blink an LED and the kids went wild!

Maybe it's those kids who now want the bling... Ah well! :-)

I hear a whole lot about "Pi Games" now-a-days too.

Gordon, I have recently found great joy in seeing square waves on a 'scope. I also find great joy in building a computer myself, and seeing blinky lights are definitely a good result!

Still, I wasn't thinking of having hobby 6502 "kits for kids". Though that definitely an option and a good thought. Aren't we discussing ways to showcase the power of the 6502? Perhaps it just depends on what the goal is.

Going with Bill's original list, I would think internet access is not very 'cool'. I mean, my phone does that, so why would I care about some old computer doing that? That is, unless it can somehow run Chrome and be able to play Tiktok videos (sadly). But a nice enclosure will only enhance the inner beauty, like a pretty summer dress instead of blue jeans with holes in them...

Just thoughts. Good point Gordon.

Chad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:33 am 

sburrow wrote:
Bill, have you already been making plans?

I have no specific plan for Worldcomputerday. It is a month+ away, so enough time to do something if there are interests. I know in the Z80 world, RC2014 (conceived for Retro Challenge 2014) has been very success attracting both old timers as well as newcomers. I thought this worldcomputerday event may be an opportunity to draw people to 6502.
Bill

Edit, Think about your comment about graphic. Traditional VGA graphic is fairly difficult to implement using purely retro technology, but there are modern graphic displays driven with SPI or I2C that are easy to do. There are also WS2812B-based displays that are easy to interface, very bright and quite large.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:57 am 

https://venturecafephiladelphia.org/ses ... the-world/ screenshot:

Attachment:
CompuseumScreenshot.gif
CompuseumScreenshot.gif [ 133.63 KiB | Viewed 2391 times ]

It says "February 10, 2022 | 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm." That's this Thursday (not Tuesday as apparently earlier planned). It doesn't say what time zone, but I suspect it's Philadelphia's, ie, EST. Scrolling up, you get the following text:

ABOUT THE SESSION

A celebration of World Computer Day 2022 hosted by The Compuseum. Come meet the people behind the 6502 Chip and find out more about how this amazing piece of technology found its way into the Apple, Atari, Commodore, Kim-1, AIM-65 and more. This session will feature brief presentations followed by a networking session.

Presenters include:

Bill Mensch– 6502 Creation

Liza Loop– Apple 1 number 1

Laurie Wallmark– Women and the 6502

Corey Cohen– Vintage Computers 6502

Daniel Kottke– Working with Woz/Jobs

Cedric Gaudin– Rockwell AIM 65 Computer

Al Charpentier– 6502 Circuit Speeds

Bil Herd- Designing with the 6502

Jim Scherrer– MOS Superfund Site

Jochen Viehoff– Apple 1 Brought to Life

Steve Krug– Architecture of Compuseum

Tim Lapetino– The Art of Atari

Achim Baqué – Apple-1 Registry

I don't know anything further about it yet, but I will do my best to be there (online), and I hope there will be interaction among "attendees" so we can ask questions of the speakers and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:23 am 

Interesting find! I think that's a Thursday event because all their events are Thursday events, and that's the one closest to World Computer Day.

I see on the Events page that the HNF (major computer museum in Germany) will put up a video, "Your Apple-I Story", at 07:00 UTC on the 15th. There are other videos and events on that page - have a look!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:23 pm 

Did anyone manage to connect to that Thursday event? I don't see any videos of it.

This coming Tuesday, then, is a 6502-focussed World Computer Day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:21 pm 

I fully intended to, but my main computer died that morning, so I forgot all about it, although I could have used this less-capable laptop (which I'm on right now). Hopefully video will be made available.