6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:51 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
Hey, I didn't mean to start any controversy. :-)

You didn't.

Quote:
And, to be honest, there aren't any better videos in terms of QUALITY (lighting, focus, etc.) for the 6502 as his.

I agree. His videos are well-produced.

Quote:
But I think Eater has done for the 6502 what the Arduino "foundation" has done for micro-controllers and general electronics. Brought in lots of people that wouldn't have normally gotten into this hobby. So that's a good thing.

I've joked in the past that Mr. Eater is unwittingly bringing new members to 6502.org when followers of his have trouble getting their projects running.

Quote:
Anyway, the point of this was to bring attention to akohlbecker's efforts in starting something around the '816.

Speaking of which, I replayed the video with the bass turned way down and the treble up. It was much easier to understand what he is saying.

Quote:
Which gets almost no attention anywhere.

That's even a problem around here. Any time someone comes up with a convoluted way to access more than 64KB with a 65C02 and it is suggested they instead use the 65C816, certain individuals castigate the one making the suggestion for doing so, claiming that such a suggestion is "discouragement." Ironically, those certain individuals are discouraging the use of the 65C816, while at the same time excoriating the suggester, which is, of course, yet another form of discouragement. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:58 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The word "primer" seems to have diminished in current usage when referring to a source of information. A search on "primer" on Ixquick turned up many references to paint primer, primers used with ammunition, a movie called Primer, etc., but not much about printed matter.

True, and most people don't know that when it's like a reading primer, that is, to help beginning readers learn to read, it's pronounced with a short I as in "trimmer" rather than a long I as in "timer." Even Bill Mensch said it bugged him that I said it with a short I until he looked it up.

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to replace "6502 Primer" with "6502 Tutorial," even though referring to your primer in that fashion is technically incorrect. Or, perhaps an altogether different title, such as "Build A 6502 Computer", would do more to get search engines to index your site.

My site gets about a thousand page downloads a day, last I looked (which wasn't very recent). The front page and the links page have the line for the 6502 primer saying,

The front page of the 6502 primer itself has the same title at the top in big, bold letters. The header now contains the line,

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="your own 6502 computer, 6502 address decoding, 6502 IRQ connection, 6502 NMI connection, 6502 clock generation, 6502 reset circuit, 6502 expansion buses, wire wrap questions, wire wrap Q&A, starting 6502 programming, begin 6502 programming, 6502 programming tips, 6502 circuits, 6502 interfacing, 6502 tutorial, 65C02 tutorial, W65C02S tutorial">

the last three being added last night. [Edit, two weeks later: The traffic decreased a bit. Obviously it wouldn't be because I added the keywords, but clearly it didn't help.]

I know I don't have much '816 content on the site. There's the article on common misunderstandings about the '816 at http://wilsonminesco.com/816myths/ but it is not intended in any way to be a primer or a tutorial. It has a different objective. Then there are references to the '816 in various other pages just to whet the appetite of the reader so hopefully he'll gradually start thinking in terms of looking into it more seriously and then moving over to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:12 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
6502 PRIMER: Building your own 6502 computer (Many of the 22 chapters apply equally to other computers as well.)

I do see some ambiguity with that, in that your series is not a primer about the 6502 itself, and is actually a detailed series of articles on scratch-building a 6502-based computer. Not much of the content is truly elemental, as the implicit assumption is made that the reader has some electronics experience and some degree of understanding of digital concepts. What it does is walk him through the steps that have to be taken to build a working 6502 unit and do some basic programming to make it functional. You're doing in greater detail with static web pages what Ben Eater is doing in his videos.

My understanding of how search engines work is that the content closest to the beginning of the title is most important in indexing and in search relevance. If so, the "Building your own 6502 computer" part might not even be recognized by a search engine.

Quote:
I know I don't have much '816 content on the site. There's the article on common misunderstandings about the '816 at http://wilsonminesco.com/816myths/ but it is not intended in any way to be a primer or a tutorial. It has a different objective. Then there are references to the '816 in various other pages just to whet the appetite of the reader so hopefully he'll gradually start thinking in terms of looking into it more seriously and then moving over to it.

Perhaps you should add 65816 and 65C816 to the meta keyword list to attract the attention of search engines. You do have enough 65C816 content to warrant it.

I've periodically given some thought to putting together something on how to scratch-build a 65C816 device. Thing is I don't like doing that sort of thing in a video because it always comes down to how much content to include and how much to leave out to keep the video from turning into a feature-length movie. Also, there's the time expenditure required...

That said, one of the things that constantly irks me is the spreading of nonsense about the 65C816, especially in regard to ease-of-programming and working with its more technically-advanced electrical interface. The attached was something I wrote in that regard. Garth has a link to it on his website. Perhaps akohlbecker's videos will also help bring the 65C816 "out of the shadows," as it were.

Attachment:
65c816_myths.pdf [353.3 KiB]
Downloaded 62 times

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:17 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
akohlbecker wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I found the narrator hard to understand and moved on after about two minutes of trying to figure out what he was saying.

I'm not a native speaker, but I spend a lot of time manually writing subtitles for the videos to make them accessible to everyone. May I suggest you try to enable them next time you're on U-Toobe?

I don't think it was a problem with you not being a native speaker. The audio seemed muffled and heavy on the bass, and I was having some trouble making out distinct words. I will take another look with the bass attenuated and the treble cranked up to see if it's clearer.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Speaking of which, I replayed the video with the bass turned way down and the treble up. It was much easier to understand what he is saying.

Happy to hear you were able to find a setting that worked for you. Not sure if you watched it all the way but I did improve my audio in the more recent episodes, do you notice an improvement?

BigEd wrote:
That would be great!

Done! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6805 :mrgreen:

Dr Jefyll wrote:
(Belated) welcome, akohlbecker ! :)

-- Jeff

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:18 am 

akohlbecker wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:
The 65C816 doesn't get much YouTube love (and, honestly, the 65C02 could use even more).

Anyway, YouTube actually did something I couldn't believe. It actually recommended a video that turned out to be something I enjoy! Perhaps you will too.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdrienKohlbecker

Hey! Author here; thank you for posting the link. I really appreciate it, and it is encouraging to see people enjoying the series. I meant to make a post here but never got around to it.

I came across your videos on YouTube through my recommendations. I really enjoy your series! I'm excited about using the 65816, but I don't have one yet. Glad to see projects using it. I have looked over the opcodes and it's hard to write 6502 code now without dreaming about the '816.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:58 pm 

Greg816v2 wrote:
I came across your videos on YouTube through my recommendations. I really enjoy your series! I'm excited about using the 65816, but I don't have one yet. Glad to see projects using it. I have looked over the opcodes and it's hard to write 6502 code now without dreaming about the '816.

Thank you!