6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm 

This might of interest - it's a graphical application that runs on Windows, OS X, Linux.

https://github.com/hneemann/Digital
(Screenshots within.)

Quote:
Digital is a easy-to-use digital logic designer and circuit simulator designed for educational purposes.

Looks like it can optimise logic, and output TTL-style circuits or HDL for programmable logic. And the simulation sounds pretty fast and flexible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:35 pm 

Interesting that it can also include VHDL and Verilog components in its simulation. Theoretically that should mean you can include your choice of CPU to virtually build your computer around. And then with a custom Java component you can simulate your I/O devices, like a graphics or soundcard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:51 am 

Ah, I didn't spot that - it is indeed interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:43 pm 

This is supposed to be a replacement of logisim, with really interesting new features.
But I tried the Mac version of it, and to me it was unusable. I wonder if the Windows version works better. The problem I had, is that when I move components around, wires connected to them do not move or follow the components. Therefore rewiring is required every time I need to arrange components in a different way or just move them to make room for more. It makes me think that I am missing something really obvious, because that's totally ridiculous, but whatever I tried the issue is always there (!?)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm 

It does work as intended, and now i am thinking to make the 6502 purely on logic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm 

joanlluch wrote:
This is supposed to be a replacement of logisim, with really interesting new features.
But I tried the Mac version of it, and to me it was unusable. I wonder if the Windows version works better. The problem I had, is that when I move components around, wires connected to them do not move or follow the components. Therefore rewiring is required every time I need to arrange components in a different way or just move them to make room for more. It makes me think that I am missing something really obvious, because that's totally ridiculous, but whatever I tried the issue is always there (!?)

This is normal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 pm 

joanlluch wrote:

everything you select will move, so if you only grab the component all the wires stay in place, you actually have to make a selection box around the component that also grabs the adjacent wires for them to move with everything else.
note that Digital treats wires as 2 seperate points with a graphical line drawn between them.
So if you only select 1 point of a wire the other side will stay in place, but if you select the whole wire then it will move the whole wire without distorting it.

it's a bit weird to get used to from Logisim's automatic rewiring, but i think i prefer it over Logisim making huge U turns over other wires and components that i then have to manually remove.
I still use both programs very regularly.