6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:06 pm 

Hi all

I once read somewhere that there are versions of the 6502 - embedded in various chipsets - that run >100x faster than original CPU. Is this true? What's the fastest implementation anyone knows of?

And what's the fastest implementation available in an FPGA? I know that the MEGA65 is 50x faster.

For context, I am working on a 6502 compatible system in an FPGA and am curious about the state of the art. So far my design runs at 50MHz (although this may drop to 40MHz because timing closure is really tough). It also offers better IPC, with a throughput of 1 instruction per clock for everything except read-modify-writes and indirect jumps (which take 2 cycles).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:41 pm 

Welcome! WDC licenses models for companies to build 6502 from, and I imagine it's one of those licensed builds which is touted as going so fast.

FPGA 6502 running at 50MHz isn't bad - it's certainly possible to do better, and of course it depends on how new and how expensive the FPGA is. And well done, a more cycle-efficient core will get an advantage.

The fastest 6502 these days, I'm fairly sure, is an emulated 6502. This is because of the great pressure on performance of general purpose CPUs, and the great price advantage of volume. A $10 Raspberry Pi can emulate a 6502 at around 300MHz, and a Pi 4 goes even faster. The PiTubeDirect project allows a Pi to be connected to (or in) an Acorn BBC Micro, where the Pi can act as a second processor, in a historically authentic way. It looks, feels, and acts like retro computing with a 6502, even though there's an embedded emulation involved (as well as a genuine 6502 and much TTL).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:04 pm 

Thanks.

I have found some corner cases that make high clock speeds (>50MHz) really difficult, self modifying code and decimal mode being examples (self modifying code really interferes with pipelining). That's what got me looking at better IPC at more moderate clock speeds and with a shallow pipeline. The design fetches up to 4 bytes of code and reads/writes up to 4 bytes of data in parallel per clock. I also had to add a small cache for zero page and stack so that ZP pointer fetches and multi-byte stack pulls can happen concurrently; LDA/STA indirect indexed, JSR and RTS are all single cycle.

I'm aware of the emulation options but my focus is FPGA. My project is closely related to the BBC micro - I hope to produce an enhanced clone of that machine as part of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:11 pm 

Sounds very interesting!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:19 pm 

The news we got from WDC quite a few years back was that one of their licensees was running an '02 at over 200MHz; but that is of course in an ASIC where the memory and I/O are all onboard the same chip so the processor's own buses don't have to go outside the chip.  Bill Mensch (WDC's owner) said in an interview about three years ago that he estimated that with the newest technology of the day, it could probably hit 10GHz.  Others have said they don't think silicon go ever get that high regardless of how small the die feature sizes ever get.  (7nm is about 11 atoms wide, so you know it can't drop much lower anyway!)  [*]  Furthermore, at this point no one is going to invest in setting up to make such a thing.  I'm hoping that just as custom PCB prices and quality have improved so dramatically in recent years, one day we'll also be able to send files to a wafer-fab house and receive our custom ICs in a few weeks.  Making masks would no longer be necessary, just as many SMT assembly houses today no longer make solderpaste screens but rather apply the solderpaste in a process that's similar to inkjet printing, directly under software control.  At this point it's just a dream though, and the closest we can get is to use an FPGA which you can program yourself but it won't be as fast.  For now, the 65xx virtues we enjoy won't include GIPS performance, performance which so many applications have no use for anyway.

[Edit: It might be on its way!  :D   https://hackaday.com/2020/06/30/your-ow ... r-in-2020/

[*] Edit, 7/10/20:  A friend who has worked in IC design sent me this link to a .pdf about how die feature size affects speed.  It's rather math-intensive, but there's a lot to be gleaned there even without going into that level of math, with the prose and graphs.  They're going into the range of 25-100GHz.  https://psec.uchicago.edu/workshops/fas ... ndence.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:27 pm 

From experiments in the past, I hear that a 6502 on the -2 speed grade of a Xilinx LX9 can work at 100MHz, although it didn't quite meet timing according to the tools. (Edit: the -2 speed grade is slower than the -3 grade.)

I think FPGAs are quite exciting enough, and affordable enough, and fast enough to work with, that we don't need to dream about custom chips.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:21 pm 

A quick update on this. My CPU (which I am calling "e6502" for now) passes Klaus Dornann's functional test and meets timing at 50MHz. I still have a bit more verification of decimal mode to do.

I have a simulation setup which runs the test code on my CPU and also on the well known T65 core from the FPGA arcade project; it compares the registers of both at every instruction boundary and there are no discrepancies.

Here are the figures from a full run:
instructions executed: 30,646,177
clock cycles (e6502): 30,960,983
clock cycles (T65): 96,241,366
cycles per instruction (e6502): 1.01
cycles per instruction (T65): 3.14

So the e6502 is performing like an original 6502 clocked beyond 150MHz.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 am 

I have checked my 6502D implementation which I use for the "MockA65xx" project
on an DE10 FPGA Board running and the Dormann test suite at 100Mhz without problems...

... next time I've git my test setup running I'll try to clock it higher.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:25 pm 

Did you ever publish this new core, amb5l? Getting it to pass Dormann's tests is a very good sign.