6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:40 am 

I just recently bought a Viewsonic N4 to overcome my inability to display my Commodore machines on LCD monitors. This unit came without a power supply (basic wall wart, 12V at 1.2A) The problem is I cannot find a replacement(Viewsonic claims the device doesn't exist) and there is nowhere I can find whether the connector is center positive or negative. Does anyone out there have a N4 and can tell me? Or is there some website that might have the info I need? -Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:45 pm 

Welcome! :)

Quote:
nowhere I can find whether the connector is center positive or negative

Of the two terminals on the power connector, the one which is negative will almost certainly connect to the device's internal ground -- and thereby to the Ground pins on the VGA connector (and the grounds on any other signal connectors on the device). If I were in your situation I would simply do a continuity test. If the center terminal connects to VGA ground then center is negative. If the outer "barrel" terminal connects to VGA ground then barrel is negative.

I don't have access to N4 documentation -- and until today I never heard of the N4! -- but if anyone else posts on the subject then maybe we can verify with a second opinion!

cheers,
Jeff

Edit: I found an image, and I notice there are lots of signal connectors. It'll be easy to access ground on the RF or RCA connectors! BTW, are you sure they haven't hidden a polarity indication somewhere? Just checking.
Attachment:
n4-b.jpg
n4-b.jpg [ 31.09 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
Attachment:
polarity symbol.JPG
polarity symbol.JPG [ 49.14 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]