6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 am 

Hi there,

as I'll be traveling to New Mexico in August, and Albuquerque being the birthplace of MITS and MICROS~1, I am wondering is there anything there which might be of interest for the vintage computing / computing history enthusiast?
Only thing I found is an exhibition "Startup" https://www.wired.com/2006/11/a-visit-to-star/ at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, but it's not on their website, so maybe it's gone.

So, does anyone know of something?

Cheers,
ArnoldLayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:23 am 

Just checking, I see nothing in Fabrice Lété's global map of computer museums: https://goo.gl/NOi6xy

Nor in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_museums

But still there might be something! The one mention I found on the museum website is "learn about the beginning of the personal computer"
https://www.naturalhistoryfoundation.org/about

Edit: ah, no, the exhibit closed in late 2016...
Quote:
The clock is ticking on one of Albuquerque's best-kept secrets.

Startup: Albuquerque and the Personal Computer Revolution, one of the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science's longest-running exhibitions, will close on November 14th, taking with it the fascinating story of Microsoft's birth here in the Duke City.

In 1976, Bill Gates and Paul Allen came to work for MITS, an Albuquerque-based company manufacturing the Altair 8800, largely recognized as the world's first personal computer. During their two-year tenure in Albuquerque, the men created Microsoft, developing the BASIC code which would go on to become Windows in 1985 and change the world forever.

In addition to Microsoft's narrative, Startup offers a rare opportunity to explore the PC's evolution from goliath machinery, capable of only the basest of calculations- to smartphones and tablets, which are millions of times more powerful than their ancestors.

Many of the artifacts will travel to Paul Allen's computer museum in Seattle after Startup closes, where they will be on permanent display.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:43 am 

Ah, dang. Thanks for digging that up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 pm 

So, I did find something 6502-ish, but at a rather unexpected location.
In Roswell, NM, in a Place called Alien Zone, a Souvenir Shop/Cheesy Alien Exhibition, I spotted a PET board as part of the decoration.

Attachment:
EDELj9bVAAAzVGu.jpeg
EDELj9bVAAAzVGu.jpeg [ 554.35 KiB | Viewed 719 times ]

Attachment:
photo_2019-09-06_22-32-38.jpg
photo_2019-09-06_22-32-38.jpg [ 158.47 KiB | Viewed 719 times ]

I really recommend going to Roswell and check out the UFO museum and all the tourist traps. Not only because of the PET board.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:55 am 

ArnoldLayne wrote:
In Roswell, NM, in a Place called Alien Zone, a Souvenir Shop/Cheesy Alien Exhibition, I spotted a PET board as part of the decoration.

I see what you mean about the "cheesy" part. :D

Looking at that PET board makes it clear how far we've come since those halcyon days. A computer nowadays with that many chips would be powerful enough to predict the weather for most of the world.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:48 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
ArnoldLayne wrote:

I see what you mean about the "cheesy" part. :D

You ain't seen nothin yet. But yes.

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Looking at that PET board makes it clear how far we've come since those halcyon days. A computer nowadays with that many chips would be powerful enough to predict the weather for most of the world.

This one probably can, being part of alien technology now. The chip markings are unreadable (to humans) so who knows if this is even still an 6502.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm 

Holy crap, Batman!

I live in the Chattanooga area...how did I not know about the computer museum in Atlanta?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:21 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
Holy crap, Batman!

I live in the Chattanooga area...how did I not know about the computer museum in Atlanta?

If and when you get a chance to go there, please consider visiting my parents' apartment and checking out that Franklin Ace they transported for you when they moved there from California a couple of years ago.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:38 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:
Holy crap, Batman!

If and when you get a chance to go there, please consider visiting my parents' apartment and checking out that Franklin Ace they transported for you when they moved there from California a couple of years ago.

Ah, yes! I would love to.

PM sent...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:18 pm 

Excellent. I know Atlanta ain't Albuquerque, but I made an effort to keep the humidity in the box from spiraling out of control by packing some disposable diapers in with the hardware, disks and documentation (don't worry, the diapers are unused). Please recall that the hardware is almost certainly not ready to be powered up without some careful disassembly and pre-inspection first!

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:29 pm 

Thanks again Mike.

I've seen them wrapped in paper towels but never diapers. LOL

But that's fine...appropriate even. As I will treat it like a baby. :-D

I usually do some pre-tests before I power up a vintage PC for the first time. Or, even if it's been in storage for a while. Things like disconnecting the main board and checking PSU voltages first. Checking caps, etc.

I just recapped my Amiga 600 (all SMD) that had leaked while in storage. Fortunately, we're moving next week and I will finally be able to bring my massive collection to one location. In an area that is much more climate controlled.

BTW, sorry to go OT on this thread...