6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chuck Peddle - RIP...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 pm 

Quote:
I just received an email from Bill Mensch that Chuck Peddle has died. He died on December 15 (2019). Chuck Peddle was one of the team of eight Motorola employees and engineers who worked on the 6800 microprocessor and left the company for MOS Technology in 1974 along with Harry Bawcom, Wil Mathys, Rod Orgill, Ray Hirt, Mike Janes, Terry Holdt, and Bill Mensch.

Peddle considered the $300 price point of the 6800 a disadvantage, and urged Motorola management to pursue a more affordable microprocessor that could be used in a wider array of applications. When they refused, Peddle convinced seven other Motorola employees, including my father, Terry Holdt, to pack up their homes and move across the country to begin work on what would become the 6502 microprocessor at MOS Technology, a wafer-fab company in Valley Forge, PA founded by a former colleague of his from General Electric, John Paivinen. After Commodore Business Machines purchased MOS Technology in 1976, Peddle oversaw the creation of the Commodore PET computer, the predecessor of the Commodore 64, the best selling personal computer of all time.

While curating the information for the team6502.org website, one of my favorite anecdotes comes from MOS Technology employee, Frank Slattery, who wrote:

What a great bunch of guys the Motorola eight were. I was the manager of the layout people and it was my duty to make sure that the Motorola eight had every opportunity to do their design work with no problems. I was standing next to Chuck Peddle when he said to Jack Tramiel, the CEO of Commodore Business Machines, “With this chip we can build a personal computer." It was the first time I ever heard the words, “Personal Computer.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:14 am 

Quote:
I just received an email from Bill Mensch that Chuck Peddle has died.

It is indeed a sad day. Chuck may be gone, but his name will live on in the annals of technology history.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:52 am 

The world would have been a different place without Chuck, and my life would have been very different.

Rest in peace.

===Jac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:25 am 

Without Chuck Peddle there would never been a PET, Atari 400, a Vic-20 or C64. And the home computer revolution would have looked very different.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:18 pm 

My condolences to his friends and family, as well as my thanks for his legacy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Bill Mensch posted In Memoriam of Charles “Chuck” Peddle:
Quote:
More recently, in May of 2007 Chuck asked me and my team at WDC to design what was named The FLASH Controller (TFC). The TFC chip was designed using my 65C02 microprocessor with high-speed DMA features for USB FLASH Modules Chuck planned to manufacture sell. The TFC used Chuck’s patented “page-mode” concepts for replacing bad pages with “good” pages within tested “bad” segments. Chuck wrote the Assembly language code for the TFC.

Chuck was writing 6502 assembly as late as 2007, right along with all of us here.

jac_goudsmit wrote:
The world would have been a different place without Chuck, and my life would have been very different.

My thoughts exactly. Rest in peace.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:21 pm 

jac_goudsmit wrote:
without Chuck [...] my life would have been very different.

He made a huge difference for me... and, at the time, I didn't even know he was the one responsible! :o :arrow: What I did know is that the 6500 Software Manual and 6500 Hardware Manual that were included when I purchased my first computer, a KIM-1, were absolutely terrific. (Links below.)

I entered the world of 6502 in 1979... pre-Internet days, when finding any information took a struggle, and finding a trove of great information was an absolute miracle. Those manuals were the ski-jump that sent me, an enthusiastic beginner, flying. I still recommend them today as a general 6500 family reference.

There's no authorship credit in the manuals themselves, so for years I didn't know who had so thoroughly earned my gratitude. The unsung hero was Chuck Peddle.

-- Jeff

From the following file, an excerpt regarding the hardware and softare manuals ...
Attachment:
Chuck Peddle wrote:
before we're going to introduce this-- we know we're going to
do this thing, we know we're going to do this at this show-- my buddy who had worked for me in Phoenix
came in and he said, look, people don't know how to use this thing. He was a programmer out of a
Czechoslovakian institute, he was a really smart guy. He says, people don't know how to use this thing.
Unless we write a really good menu it's not going to get used

So I said, OK, we'll sit down and write it together. Well I was too busy talking to people on the phone and
everything else. So Peter walked into the president, John Paivinen, and he says, if you don't throw Chuck
out of here and make him write these manuals, they're never going to get done
. So Paivinen calls me in
his office with the guard captain and says this guy can't come through the door again until I let him come
through the door. And I sat at my house, and Peter would come back and forth, and that's how we wrote
And because I'm sitting at home and only focusing on the manual, we did a good job. And Peter was also
a really great editor. And Paivinen also edited for us, too, because he knew what we were trying to do.
And then a couple of the other engineers edited it.

And what we were trying to do is make it so anybody could read it and do it. And they did. Those
manuals, really and truly we were proud of them.
But Peter deserves the credit. Because he was
the guy that kept me out of the company until we got it done.

Mike has pdf scans in the 6502.org document archive here:
MOS MCS6500 Family Programming Manual
MOS MCS6500 Family Hardware Manual
MOS KIM-1 User Manual

Searchable PDF's of these and some other good 65xx-related manuals are on http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/ here:
MOS MCS6500 Family Programming Manual
MOS MCS6500 Family Hardware Manual
MOS KIM-1 User Manual

(The KIM-1 User Manual is less general than the other two, but even non-users may find the schematics and ROM Source Listings educational.)

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 pm 

He found something in life he loved to do and excelled at it. What a blessing to himself and to others. The MOS/Motorola community will never forget!

Those were the days! My father worked for Solid State Scientific, not too far from Valley Forge, PA. SSS had the license to make 6502's since they had a wafer fab. SSS produced 6502C's which were rated @4MHz?. I used 1 in a high school science fair project in my very 1st SBC.

Anyway, I never truly learned about the history of what happened behind the scenes and the people involved until almost 20+years after the home PC revolution. Most of it here on 6502.org. But that http://www.team6502.org site is pretty cool too. I passed it on to some folks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:00 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
There's no authorship credit in the manuals themselves, so for years I didn't know who had so thoroughly earned my gratitude. The unsung hero was Chuck Peddle.

Well it's nice to know who wrote those! Just a couple of years back I learned the details of 6502 hardware from the Hardware Manual and found it to be excellent. (It's not for beginners to electronics, but if you're familiar with the basics of digital logic, that manual provides exactly what you need in reasonably concise form.)

Quote:
Searchable PDF's of these and some other good 65xx-related manuals are on http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/ here...

Actually, that site seems to have just HTML versions, though those are actually faster for on-line reference than the PDFs. But if you want searchable PDFs, archive.org has several scans of each of them. They do OCR on all of their book scans, though often the OCR'd versions, which have _text appended to the name, are are for some reason lower resolution than the original scans.