6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 am 

I'm restoring an Apple IIe motherboard. I had to replace a socket that was all messed up. The back side has some scratches near the socket so I put a little Kapton tape to prevent the solder from bridging over to the scratched, exposed copper.

Well, when I pulled the tape off, it brought off a bunch of solder mask! I didn't realize it was that fragile since I've done this many times in the past. I guess that old board has seen better days.

Anyway, do any of you have any suggestions on what to put down over this to repair the exposed copper? There seems to be tons of suggestions out there but I'd like something that was (preferably) green. The color isn't as important as the quality, however.

Is there some kind of epoxy I could use or something?

Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:19 am 

You can buy uv curable solder mask paint from eBay very cheaply. Paint some of that on and expose it to a decent amount of UV. One point of note though, this stuff kinda gets everywhere unless you are quite careful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try.

I'm a little surprised it was flaking off that easily. I've never seen tape take off solder mask. But then again, Kapton tape is pretty good stuff. I've seen that stuff stuck on computers for decades.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:26 pm 

It sounds as if all the soldering is completed already -- is that right? If so, why wouldn't you just leave the traces as they are? Bare copper is perfectly alright, I'd say. Or maybe you want protection against the possibility of battery leakage in future.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
It sounds as if all the soldering is completed already -- is that right? If so, why wouldn't you just leave the traces as they are? Bare copper is perfectly alright, I'd say. Or maybe you want protection against the possibility of battery leakage in future.

-- Jeff

I believe the soldering should be done. I might have to replace another socket or two but that's about it (haven't even powered the board yet).

So, no real reason other than preventing bare copper from "flapping in the breeze" as Dave would say. I found a tube on eBay for $1.28 with free shipping. Should have it next month from China. lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 pm 

I thought you needed to solder again and get it hot. If you don't, how about fingernail polish. It comes in a bazillion colors, it dries fast, and is tough. It makes good touch-up paint for lots of things. I didn't mention it earlier because I'm not sure it would stand up to the heat of soldering.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:21 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I thought you needed to solder again and get it hot. If you don't, how about fingernail polish. It comes in a bazillion colors, it dries fast, and is tough. It makes good touch-up paint for lots of things. I didn't mention it earlier because I'm not sure it would stand up to the heat of soldering.

Hmm. That's an interesting idea. My wife probably already has the color I need. lol

I was thinking it might be conductive and I would hate to accidentally paint two points and create a short.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 pm 

If it doesn't have metal flakes, it won't conduct. Whether or not the lacquer would give adequate insulation between flakes in ones that do have it, is something I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:00 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:
Hmm. That's an interesting idea. My wife probably already has the color I need. lol

Your wife does her nails in PC Board Green?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 pm 

whartung wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:

Your wife does her nails in PC Board Green?

Well, she has literally dozens of colors. She shares with my granddaughter too. So I bet there are several greens in there. lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm 

My wife doesn't use nail polish. However, I've been seen (and felt self-conscious about it) looking over the nail polish selections in the local drug store, for touch-up paint for my bicycle. It's the first place I might go for touch-up paint for plenty of other things too! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
My wife doesn't use nail polish. However, I've been seen (and felt self-conscious about it) looking over the nail polish selections in the local drug store, for touch-up paint for my bicycle. It's the first place I might go for touch-up paint for plenty of other things too! :D

Not me. That wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, I routinely go into one of those beauty supply stores full of teenage girls and young women so that I can get large bottles of H2O2 for retro-brighting. I get funny looks in there but I don't care. I have Commodores and Apples to retro-bright. lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 pm 

I have a gallon jug of 35% food-grade H2O2 in the refrigerator, but I never thought of using it for electronics. The stuff you get in the drug store is usually 3% and has toxic stabilizers in it so you don't have to keep it in the fridge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I have a gallon jug of 35% food-grade H2O2 in the refrigerator, but I never thought of using it for electronics. The stuff you get in the drug store is usually 3% and has toxic stabilizers in it so you don't have to keep it in the fridge.

I buy the Salon Care stuff that is much stronger than 3%. However, I've found that even the 3% stuff works well too. Just takes a little longer exposure to UV.