6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm 

BigEd wrote:
(Just one note about signature lines: I've seen elsewhere it can make searching quite difficult when someone has interesting keywords in every post they make... also to note, like banner ads and sidebar ads, I find myself subconsciously skipping signatures, so I don't even see them.)

Sounds almost like a good argument for a 'Completed Projects' forum. Easier searching.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm 

It's Mike you'd need to convince. Perhaps a good way to start would be to collect a list of threads which would best have fitted in the proposed new forum, and see how many there are. If it was 'Completed Projects' that'll be markedly fewer than if it was 'Projects' and my feeling is that this would not be the answer. Far better, in my view, to see ten projects in progress, many of which never will be complete, but some of which will spark interesting discussion and might inspire someone to make something.

As I say, start a thread, collect some interesting things and some interest, and show that the material is there. Even if you don't get the forum you'd like, you do at least then have a place to discuss.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:46 pm 

I think a better idea would be to have one of the pages that can have links to project threads in the Hardware forum.

I've been on some forums with ancient sticky threads, dead topics, etc., and, yea, they clutter everything up.

Or, we could just have a topic naming policy in the Hardware forum: "Project: <project name>", then folks can easily search for "Project" threads if they want to.

But at the same time, we have things like what BDD is fighting on his 2.0 board. I wouldn't want EVERYTHING he encounters in his "project" thread. Some things just need to be pulled out for focused, timely discussion vs buried in a 50 page 5 year old thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm 

The non-forum part of the website could have an index to completed projects, linking to final description posts on the forum, and to additional links to the topic(s) regarding development that led up to it. The discussion involved in the development should not be very detached. We do already have the "Homebuilt Projects on the Web" section and the "Hardware Mini-Projects" section which could be complemented with this new section.

I would also say that most projects are never completed. Even after working as intended, we tend to keep making improvements and additions. My own primary workbench computer, initially "completed" 25 years ago, has had many improvements and additions over the subsequent years, and now with a mezzanine that still has some empty board space on it, I could still add more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:35 am 

Quote:
Sounds almost like a good argument for a 'Completed Projects' forum. Easier searching.
Yes, I think the main point is having things in one place for people to look at. It is really interesting to scroll through and see what people have done, at least on other forums I've been to. There is no easy way to do this now.

Quote:
Anyone can also list their projects in their signature lines.
This is not very helpful for people looking for projects other people have done.

Quote:
Having your own website is good too, giving more freedom as to what you can do with it.
Agreed, but many people (like me) would not go to the hassle of setting up their own website. It's a lot easier to just start a thread.

Quote:
The non-forum part of the website could have an index to completed projects, linking to final description posts on the forum, and to additional links to the topic(s) regarding development that led up to it.
Just my opinion, but this is needlessly complicated compared to just starting another forum. I doubt that many people would go to the trouble, unless you're suggesting someone would be in charge of doing this on everyone's behalf (also not very appealing I think).

Quote:
I would also say that most projects are never completed. Even after working as intended, we tend to keep making improvements and additions.
Agreed! A lot of projects are never really "completed" but still a success.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 am 

It might be a better idea to be able to tag threads, and then be able to search with tags. It's still on the poster to tag their thread, of course, and i have seen some awful mis-tags, but it would make filtering search results a little easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:20 am 

Druzyek wrote:
Quote:
Having your own website is good too, giving more freedom as to what you can do with it.
Agreed, but many people (like me) would not go to the hassle of setting up their own website. It's a lot easier to just start a thread.

I might be able to get our son to write up some simple instructions for getting your own website. He set mine up. If I understood him correctly, getting the domain name takes about one minute, and getting a hosting company takes not much more. You can host your site yourself at home on an old, retired PC if you like (like our son initially did); but my host 3,000 miles away costs quite a bit less per month than just the electric bill to host it here, and their upload speed is over a hundred times as fast as ours at home.

Then to me, my site is basically like another disc drive, and I can edit or add or delete files just as easily, with absolutely nothing magic about it. You can copy my headers at the top and bottom of pages (which you can see with <Ctrl>U). The amount of html I know would fit in a thimble, yet I do my web pages with a plain text editor. There's nothing fancy, and no special software, yet I can do things there that I cannot do in a forum post. I'd be glad to share my html "cheat sheet", or you can see what I've done by pressing <Ctrl>U. You'll find my html to be much simpler than most web pages.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 am 

All this discussion on forum features should be conducted on the thread which Druzyek already linked.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4962

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 pm 

Most of the programs used so far doing the benchmark are using the given algorithm. Long time I thought it is necessary to distinguish between the "classic" BASIC V1 version and e.g. the C-V2 version, but due the feedback here I think the distinction between them is not correct.
The BASIC V1 version is a simple and straight forward implementation of a brute force approach. The particular used BASIC version (a MicroSoft variant) does neither know integer variables nor the modulo function. Further the FOR..NEXT boundaries are computed once, so using the square root isn't a big penalty. These constraints lead to the given program. Later BASICs do know integer variables and accordingly the implementation of the algorithm is adapted in order to verify any effects. This is as well true for other languages. Using their capabilities to construct both loops is simply a continuation. This holds true even for things like variable length division within assembler (Chromatix). So far all programs tested the candidate number against all odd numbers up to the point where the quotient becomes smaller than the divisor or the remainder was zero.

The latest discussion was about extending the algorithm to avoid divisions where possible. This is of course something different. The results of these tests cannot be compared in a simple fashion against the "traditional" ones. Of course they can be compared against each other to verify which measure causes which effect. Some may even be counterproductive if the implementation overhead is bigger then the net effect.

In a lazy moment I took the idea of tweaking the algorithm by using a sieve or by wheeling and write some BASIC variants for them. As I use a SYMimlar old NMOS system running at 1 MHz this took some time :) and I only run them within 16 bit space but I think one can see some interesting effects. The various source programs are appended. They are quick hacks, neither nice and good readable nor written for utmost performance. :oops:
Attachment:
EnhBasBenchies.txt [2.36 KiB]
Downloaded 77 times

I took the "classic" approach as reference against the "enhanced" versions. -10% means if the reference took 100s the enhanced versions took 90s.
Attachment:
EnhBench-MSBasic.png
EnhBench-MSBasic.png [ 19.85 KiB | Viewed 1609 times ]

Avoiding divisions by 3 starts great but then the win drops down to 5% only. Avoiding divisions by 3 and 5 are only for small numbers a little better. Sieving (using only primes for division) starts good and maintains its effect perhaps with a little tendency of getting better. Combining sieving and wheeling seems to add linearly.

Next I ported the programs to the Badge where EhBasic V2.22 is installed. Again the "classic" variant is taken for reference:
Attachment:
EnhBench-EhBasic.png
EnhBench-EhBasic.png [ 17.39 KiB | Viewed 1609 times ]

To my very surprise none of the "enhancements" have had a positive effect! This is a completely different behavior than MS-Basic shows. I am pretty sure that I didn't make a silly mistake. I rerun some of the tests several times without significant changes. Perhaps someone else could verify this strange behavior?

Taking all these numbers into one chart (with corrections for the different clock speeds) shows that EhBasic is still always faster.
Attachment:
MS vs Eh Basic.png
MS vs Eh Basic.png [ 23.8 KiB | Viewed 1609 times ]

Cheers,
Arne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:26 pm 

Hmm, interesting, but also rather surprising. Why would a bit of wheeling not improve EhBasic's runtimes? Perhaps the wheeling is adding friction... I see

22 IF C-T3=6 THEN T3=C : GOTO 80

Whereas I would normally like to do something like

X=6-X
C=C+X

but of course when using FOR..NEXT we can't so readily tweak the increment. It's a bit awkward: there's no neat way to restart the loop, other than using a GOTO which (probably) costs a rescan of the program text from the start. Whereas a GOTO in assembly language just goes where it should, and an IF..THEN..ELSE in a block-structured language can skip the body of the loop.

We're seeing limitations in Basic's facilities, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:36 pm 

Well, I know I could have use
FOR I=1 TO 4000: D=P(I): ... NEXT
but this idea comes much too late. And it may have side effects when exiting a FOR..NEXT loop early.

And again - I never ever thought that EhBasic response so much different :shock:

Cheers,
Arne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:49 pm 

Ah, wait, it should be as simple as
22 X=1-X : C = C + X*2
which is to say, every other iteration you increment C by an extra 2, which skips over the multiples of three.

That might be faster as
22 X=1-X : IF X THEN C = C + 2

And of course the same for the inner loop.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm 

Here's another thought: benchmark MS vs Eh Basics in doing a GOTO skipping over a reasonable number of lines. Perhaps EhBasic is much slower at GOTO (and maybe that could be fixed).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:23 am 

Yesterday I tried to get things working on an emulated Tandy CoCo3 (with a 6309), only to discover that VCC fails to implement quite a lot of the 6309's instructions - including, in the ready-compiled versions available, division. BASIC09 exercises the latter when using integer variables; I haven't tried it with floating-point yet. It's really hard to implement any of these algorithms when MOD(int,int) returns zero unconditionally.

BASIC09 looks like a surprisingly sophisticated dialect, with a lot of structured-programming facilities that were apparently inspired by Pascal, and even a degree of type-safety. It might have gone some way towards satisfying the spec for BBC BASIC, if it weren't for the relative difficulty of starting the environment and entering a program (the built-in line editor is very non-intuitive, and the manual has the gall to call it a "screen editor", which it definitely isn't). It even claims to include a compiler, but it produces I-code which sounds very similar to BBC BASIC's tokenised format, and which according to the performance figures in its own manual has something like a 10x interpretation overhead (and that's being generous).

I'll have to see if I can find a CoCo3 emulator that actually *works* in 6309 mode.

NitrOS-9 also apparently includes a C compiler. That will also be interesting to try out...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:23 am 

Quote:
I'll have to see if I can find a CoCo3 emulator that actually *works* in 6309 mode.
Have you tried MAME yet? I could not find a good 6309 emulator to play with either, so I ended up copying my code into the rom file that comes with MAME at the address where execution starts. It is not ideal, but it works for playing with assembly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next