6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:40 am 

I might do some reading, to see what the current thinking is on EPIC - that's the architectural idea behind what became Itanium. I did find this:
Quote:
The designers of RISC CPUs realized that most people coded in some compiled language. They then realized that it did not make any sense to use valuable chip space for instructions and addressing modes that language compilers were not going to use. It's like selling toilets to people that don't have pluming.

EPIC, on the other hand, tries to address something very different. Superscalar CPUs have been around for quite some time now. There are two big problems in designing a superscalar CPU. The first problem is in deciding which instructions can be executed in parallel. Huge amounts of chip space in both the Alpha 21264 and the PentiumII are dedicated to this task. The second problem is in finding enough instructions that can be executed in parallel. Most C code results in a branch instruction after an average of five sequential instructions, and this makes it impossible to make most code run in parallel. Digital, Intel, and others have spent huge amounts of chip space trying to solve this problem too. These are the problems that EPIC tries to solve.

Instead of having the CPU guess at what instructions can be executed in parallel, EPIC requires that the compiler explicitly tell the CPU which instructions can execute in parallel.

I'm assuming I'll find that the current thinking is that EPIC was a mis-step. But who knows. Certainly Itanium are enormous chips: there's the question of performance, but also price, and power. And the question of verification - complex designs are difficult to get right, which makes them expensive to develop, or late, or buggy, or some combination.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:20 pm 

Quote:
The first problem is in deciding which instructions can be executed in parallel. Huge amounts of chip space in both the Alpha 21264 and the Pentium II are dedicated to this task. The second problem is in finding enough instructions that can be executed in parallel. Most C code results in a branch instruction after an average of five sequential instructions, and this makes it impossible to make most code run in parallel.
For what it's worth, I think this quote that BigEd provided sums up the problem very well. In my opinion, the issue of effective utilization of the pipelines of modern super-scalar processors is not going to be easily solved. Much of the SW targeting these processor architectures is written in programming languages that do not provide a framework for the development of algorithms with a parallel execution flavor. In my personal experience, I first design/plan algorithms in a sequential fashion, and only after the algorithm and its program is working correctly, do I look to see if I can re-write it as a parallel algorithm. In many cases, I find that temporal data dependencies, programming language limitations, etc. would result in an parallel version being more complicated than necessary. In addition, the sequential algorithm is more than fast enough for my needs, so any further effort on my part in eking out additional performance is not really worth the effort.

Again, FWIW, I think a heterogeneous processor like the CDC 6600 and CDC 7600 with their multiprocessor high-performance mainframe CPUs and low performance Peripheral Processors (PPs) is a better match to the modern processing problem. In other words, one or two multi-issue, super-scalar, out-of-order (OOO) processor cores matched with several single issue, barrel processors sharing the same instruction set on the same die would be a much better general purpose solution. Far more independent threads of execution (processes/tasks) could be supported by such a beast. I suspect that such a beast would also provide better performance for all of those low priority, I/O bound tasks that seemingly always cause my media player to annoyingly skip.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:28 pm 

Oops, meant to link to the source of that: http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~idr/publications/epic.html