6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 pm 

I'm posting this as a heads-up to anyone who might happen to be thinking of installing WDCTools. Long story short, its installer deleted my PATH variable without prior warning. Here is the bug report I'm sending to WDC:

Quote:
The WDCTools installer (WDCTOOLS.exe) has a serious bug. It completely overwrote my system PATH variable and I had to jump through hoops to restore the previous value. While installing, the installer displays these messages:

PATH was empty and has been updated with the target
Target was appended to PATH
Target was appended to PATH

Afterwards, I checked my system PATH and I saw that it was "C:\WDC\Tools\INCLUDE;C:\WDC\Tools\LIB;C:\WDC\Tools\BIN" and nothing else. If I had not been watching the installer carefully, I would never have noticed these messages and I wouldn't have figured out that your installer clobbered my PATH until much later.

From googling, I find the most likely reason for this is that my PATH was over 1023 characters. Apparently, this installer will simply overwrite a PATH that's too long instead of appending to it. Please, please, PLEASE fix the installer so other people don't have to go through this kind of pain.

Probably the hardest part of this whole ordeal was not filling my bug report with swear words...

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:59 pm 

WDC has already responded to me and pulled the download until they fix it. Kudos for taking the issue seriously!