6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:43 pm 

Hello all,
I just finished my first year of college majoring in computer engineering and would like to try to build a single board computer. Currently I've looked at a few kits and a lot of different projects but I'm not really sure if they are beginner friendly and where to buy the components to build these kits. Does anyone have any suggestions to any sbc kits or projects that would be relitivly easy for a beginner while still allowing me to learn about comp design? any suggestions would be great,
thanks a lot
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:14 pm 

It's not really a kit, but Daryl (8BIT) here on the forum makes a little 4x5" hobbyist SBC board available that takes a 6502, RAM, EPROM or EEPROM, a 6551 UART, RS-232 line drivers and receivers, two 6522's (each having up to 20 I/O bits, a synchronous serial port, two 16-bit timer/counters etc.), reset circuit, crytal can clock oscillator, and four 14-pin pin headers for I/O. You supply the parts that go into the board, and connect all your own I/O. That might include for example a keyboard, LCD, other ICs, a model railroad setup, or whatever you want to interface it to. I don't remember that he supplies any standard software for it, but he'll correct me if I'm wrong. You'll just need a power supply, (E)EPROM programmer, and assembler (although some of us started out years ago assembling by hand).

http://www.6502.org/oldmicro/trainers.htm may be of some help too.

When you have questions, come back to the forum again and ask. There are some very knowledgeable people here who'll be glad to help. We would encourage you however to see if the same question was already asked and answered before so we don't clutter the forum with the same things over and over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:02 pm 

Thanks a lot for your reply,
sorry i forgot to search to see if this topic has been brought up before, wont happen again (i know how topics that keep coming up by many people can be annoying) anyway, ill look into that project, thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:08 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
...It's not really a kit, but Daryl (8BIT) here on the forum makes a little 4x5" hobbyist SBC board ...

Hello Mike, and welcome. Yes, I still have a few of my SBC-2 boards laying around. Check out my web site and if you are interested, or just have questions, then contact me via email.

Daryl

http://65c02.tripod.com/