6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm 

One thing I like about the Replica One is the inclusion of an ATX power connector.

I like the idea of a beefy, well-made PSU driving my SBC.

Is that something you guys wished you had on your SBC's? As cool as it is, I wonder how practical it would actually be.

One advantage I can think of would be for legacy cards that used different voltages.

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:18 pm 

An easy-to-obtain source for regulated +3v3, +5v, +12v, and -12v? Sounds good to me!

Maybe something like this?

The downside is that you pretty much have to be doing custom PCBs for this in order to fit the connector, rather than breadboard or perfboard work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:54 pm 

I don't like to use PC power supplies for hobby projects, because of their ability to provide near infinite currents when you make a short. At the very least, the board should have some appropriately rated resettable fuses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:58 pm 

One other downside is those connectors are pretty big. Molex or berg connectors are a nice compromise: 5V and 12V with a nice smallish connector.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:09 pm 

I would think that anyone involved in electronics would have a quiet, linear-regulated benchtop power supply, like this protected and current-limited triple one I use from Global Specialies:
which has +5V and adjustable plus and minus ones. It's good to be able to monitor the current sometimes too, and the meter is right there on the front. For the higher-voltage positive supply, I sometimes need to be able to adjust it rather than having a straight +12V, primarily when I program PIC16 microcontrollers with my home-made programmer which is controlled by the workbench computer. The Vpp usually needs to be +13.25V. (The workbench computer's D/A converter controls the programmer's regulator to down-regulate the VDD.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:41 pm 

Arlet wrote:
I don't like to use PC power supplies for hobby projects, because of their ability to provide near infinite currents when you make a short. At the very least, the board should have some appropriately rated resettable fuses.

That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:19 pm 

Arlet wrote:

I just have this horrible vision of smoke and sparks and flames accompanied by shouting and hand waving as the "infinite currents" work their way to all the new "paths of least resistance" that they're creating and burning through the circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 pm 

The nice thing about infinite currents is that they only last for infinitesimal time. But they do non-zero damage in that time. (Dirac delta function?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:33 pm 

Aslak3 wrote:
One other downside is those connectors are pretty big. Molex or berg connectors are a nice compromise: 5V and 12V with a nice smallish connector.

When I designed POC V2 I went with the Berg connector. It's about one half the width of the Molex connector that I was using on POC V1, and is easier to connect and disconnect.

Attachment:
File comment: POC V2 Power Connector
power_input.gif
power_input.gif [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 1463 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: POC V2 w/Power Connection
pocv2_test.gif
pocv2_test.gif [ 2.41 MiB | Viewed 1463 times ]

BigEd wrote:
The nice thing about infinite currents is that they only last for infinitesimal time. But they do non-zero damage in that time. (Dirac delta function?)

Or as an instructor of mine long, long ago once wisecracked when one of his students accidentally reversed a rectifier diode in a power supply circuit and flipped the switch, he (the student) succeeded in instantly converting a semiconductor into a full-time conductor. :oops: :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:40 pm 

It's called a semiconductor because half the time you'll put it in the right way around?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:54 pm 

Of course, my singular complaint the Molex connector, and perhaps the berg one, is that they "click in".

Now, I understand why they "click" in, why a secure physical connection is necessary, how things can "creep" as they heat and cool, etc. etc.

I appreciate all of the realities of why some connectors "lock" in to place.

That doesn't mean I have to like them. I always hated fighting particularly stubborn ones in the confines of PC cases surrounded with sharp, barely finished metal edges.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:04 am 

BigEd wrote:
It's called a semiconductor because half the time you'll put it in the right way around?

You guys reminded me of the NED (noise emitting diode) here. Hats off to Igor Pravaganda, the father of the confetti generator!

Mike B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:11 am 

I thought semiconductors were the little short men who lead the orchestra. You always see them standing on a little platform so they can be up high enough to see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 am 

whartung wrote:
Of course, my singular complaint the Molex connector, and perhaps the berg one, is that they "click in".

Now, I understand why they "click" in, why a secure physical connection is necessary, how things can "creep" as they heat and cool, etc. etc.

I appreciate all of the realities of why some connectors "lock" in to place.

That doesn't mean I have to like them. I always hated fighting particularly stubborn ones in the confines of PC cases surrounded with sharp, barely finished metal edges.

I agree the Molex connectors can be real bears to unplug, especially when your knuckles are close to sharp sheet metal edges. The Berg connectors only put up a little bit of resistance and can be readily pulled with thumb and forefinger. On the other hand, in dealing with a Molex connector, you just have to give it the finger. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:21 am 

Magnetic would have been nice, I think. It at least works fine on simpler, external plugs. Some care would have to go into the design for a multi-pin magnetic connector.
As for the replica one.. mine doesn't use an ATX connector. Maybe the old ones did.