6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:43 pm 

I am not sure if I am able to post job-like advertisements here. If not, feel free to remove this topic, and I deeply apologize.

As some might know on this forum, I am working on a project which utilized a 6502 assembler and virtual machine to run an in-game virtual Internet for an MMO-type hacking game I am working on. I already have plenty of eager players beta testing the game and taking the time to learn 6502 assembly. Unfortunately, I do not have the time I require to build everything as fast as I'd like, and I don't want potential players to drop off and leave as it's taking too long.

Here's what's basically done and functional: 6502 Assembler and Virtual Machine, Telnet interface, Web terminal interface, FTP server, and mainly game specific functions.

Unlike the traditional 6502 where you would have an event loop to keep the CPU constantly going, this 6502 is more event-based. The design choice behind this, is that running 500+ 6502 VMs/emulators constantly wouldn't scale well, and would keep the real server's CPU at high usage. By event-based, the 6502 KERNEL that initial boots will set-up a few vectors to let the game know how to tell the 6502 to perform specific tasks. For the most part, the 6502 in-game CPU is mostly dormant, unless some processing is required.

Here are some more detailed specs:
CPU Type: 6502
Core memory size: 64k
I/O Interface: Memory mapped I/O from $ff00-$ffff
Storage/Block interface: Operations done through I/O Interface
Networking is supported to other in-game 6502 machines

So, what I am looking for, is someone who I can collaborate with, whom is skilled at 6502 assembly. The game itself is coded in Python, and if you would like to assist with the ASM or VM/Emulator code and know Python, then great. The main thing I would like done is the writing of a compatible KERNEL for the in-game 6502s. It shouldn't be anything too fancy, it will be more of an API with a JSR table for other programmers to use to code faster. The API should include operations like printing null-terminated strings, accepting a string of keyboard input, memory moving and clearing operations, File I/O, and of course network I/O. The assembly is just 6502, nothing too special or extra needed to learn/understand besides the memory mapped I/O interface.

Here is a page with the current memory map idea:
http://www.hackers-edge.com/HelpCenter/ ... space.html

I have created plenty of example/test 6502 assembly programs that work perfectly. As you may notice, there is some deviation from 6502 standards, but it's mostly a 6502.

Let me know if your interested, and if you would like some compensation for your efforts.