6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New book about the 6502
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:04 am 

I have a book that I just put on Amazon that explains basic computer hardware. It is very different than other hardware books. It uses a 6502 web simulator to explain a basic computer hardware system. The book duplicates the hardware that the simulator is simulating and has an actual block diagram and a schematic diagram of that simulated hardware. The components on those diagrams are explained down to the component level, including the components in the 6502. The book then uses test instructions on the simulator to explain CPU hardware operation.

In the early 1990s I designed and programmed two projects using the 6502. One project was a scrolling led sign on the back if my pickup truck with a remote to select a message. The other project was a telephone restrictor that would restrict time and phone numbers and had a key code that would disable the unit.

All the fundamental information that is needed to understand how a computer system operates is in this book. I wrote it for people that have a limited knowledge of computers.

I would like to offer this book for free to anyone that will read it and give me a review. The 6502 test instructions for the simulator create images on the screen and are fun to execute. Be sure to read the timing control part of the book. It takes a complicated concept and explains it in an easy to understand way.

Send me your e-mail at my e-mail address and I will sent you a PDF copy of my book.

James Buchanan jfbuchanan78@yahoo.com
Amazon book site https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FG52RLI

Last edited by jimb on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 pm 

jimb wrote:
I have a book that I just put on Amazon
Can you provide a link for us?

Quote:
It uses a 6502 web simulator to explain a basic computer hardware system.
This sounds intriguing -- a potentially terrific idea!

Still, you have to reach out if you hope to attract people's attention. Is it possible you need to think more about that? (Hint: a good way to attract attention is to include something visual -- a photo, diagram or screen shot.) Just my $.02 worth, offered in a constructive way. :) I wonder what your Amazon post looks like.

congrats on publishing, and best of luck with your efforts,
Jeff

PS- Welcome! We'd be glad to hear more about your 6502 projects -- the led sign and the telephone restrictor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 am 

Thanks for adding the link James, and welcome to the forum! It's very impressive to have written a book. But I'd second Jeff's point - some visuals would help a lot. A screenshot or something from the book perhaps.