6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:59 pm 

(Copied from http://www.c64.sk/ )

22. DECEMBER 2002
C=1 article by Günther Bauer translated 16:29

Thanks to Paul Foerster, now we have an English translation. Below is the article on the CommodoreOne.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comeback for the Commodore 64

People aged+ 30 grew up with it and most IT professionals started programming on it. We’re talking about the classic home computer of all times, the Commodore 64, regarded to be the best-selling computer of all times.

For many people the dream of the C64 is not yet over, and the American hardware developer, Jeri Ellsworth gives the old breadbox new life. The new project is announced under the name, "CommodoreOne". It is based on an ATX mainboard using a CompactFlash card, which can emulate all classical computers, among which is the C64, of course. In contrast to the usual emulators, this hardware solution offers new possibilities while retaining backward hardware compatibility.

The heart is a 65C816 cpu which is a 16-bit version of the instruction-compatible, 8-bit MOS 6510 of the C64. The 65C816 runs on a 20 times higher clock frequency than the C64 cpu.

The CommodoreOne can be run using a VGA monitor. All video modes of the C64 graphic chip VIC-II are supported. Freaks can discover more video modes; 256 colors can be chosen to be displayed from a palette of 65535 colors. The resolution can be increased from the C64 typical 160x200 and 320x200 up to 1280x1024 pixels. Sprites, the moving objects of the old Commodore, are supported, too, of course.

The CommodoreOne should cost around 200 Euro and should appear during spring 2003. (gb)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:58 pm 

I'd die to see what kind of Apple ][ system could be emulated on C1 hardware. :shock: :roll: :P

Post subject: Buy insurance quickly...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:54 pm 

It might be an idea to make out a will and settle your affairs.

bob :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:02 pm 

bob_towers wrote:
It might be an idea to make out a will and settle your affairs.

bob :-)

Is this for real though? I mean, will this make it to market? What are its projected sales figures? And does this infringe on the rights of whoever currently owns Commodore's 8-bit rights (it used to be Tulip, but now it's someone else, and I've forgotten who)?

Also, half the magic of the Commodore 64 was that it was a compact unit. I think taking the 64 out of its keyboard will lose some of the utility of the C64. You could perhaps regain some of that utility by putting the motherboard in a compact desktop case, but most cases I see being sold today is mini-towers. While nice for expansion purposes, they're not quite as compact. (OTOH, remanufacturing the Commodore 64's old case and keyboard will probably cost more because of low production volumes.)

The Commodore 64C and the Amiga 500, which is what I had and still have, respectively, is still, to this day, the single most ergonomic computer systems I've ever used. I suspect the C128 was similar.