6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 pm 

Does anyone know if VPB is asserted (i.e. pulled low as it is a negated output) during the fetch of the vector of RESET as well or is it only for the interrupts. The manual is not very clear on that

Quote:
The Vector Pull active low output indicates that a vector location is being addressed during an interrupt
sequence. VPB is low during the last two interrupt sequence cycles, during which time the processor loads
the PC with the interrupt handler vector location. The VPB signal may be used to select and prioritize
interrupts from several sources by modifying the vector addresses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:16 am 

cbscpe wrote:
Does anyone know if VPB is asserted (i.e. pulled low as it is a negated output) during the fetch of the vector of RESET as well or is it only for the interrupts. The manual is not very clear on that

Quote:
The Vector Pull active low output indicates that a vector location is being addressed during an interrupt
sequence. VPB is low during the last two interrupt sequence cycles, during which time the processor loads
the PC with the interrupt handler vector location. The VPB signal may be used to select and prioritize
interrupts from several sources by modifying the vector addresses.

Good question, as there isn't anything in the WDC literature to indicate what VPB is up to during reset. If I can remember to do so, I'll try monitoring VPB the next time I need to reset POC (it has 295 days of uptime on it right now).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:36 pm 

Hi BDD,

I added some "debugging" to my AVR IML project and could verify that VPB is asserted (pulled low) also when fetching the RESET vector. See my other thread http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3374&p=39282#p39282

Cheers

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:47 pm 

Thanks for noting that!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:49 am 

cbscpe wrote:
I added some "debugging" to my AVR IML project and could verify that VPB is asserted (pulled low) also when fetching the RESET vector. See my other thread http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3374&p=39282#p39282

Interesting. That VPB does go low in the reset sequence has obvious implications in any PLD code that uses VPB's state to create a specific logic condition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:52 pm 

Yes indeed. But how many designs make use of VPB. In my case it's in may favor, I just wanted to have a save way to recognize when the 65816 reads the reset vector instead of meticulously counting cycles. Just going through PHI2 cycles and look for VPB is much easier and as it seems possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:36 pm 

cbscpe wrote:
Yes indeed. But how many designs make use of VPB. In my case it's in may favor, I just wanted to have a save way to recognize when the 65816 reads the reset vector instead of meticulously counting cycles. Just going through PHI2 cycles and look for VPB is much easier and as it seems possible.

You can further qualify the logic by noting which interrupt input on the '816 has been asserted, which then means that the logic can "select" a particular table for use with vectored interrupts.