6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:01 pm 

Recently uploaded to YouTube by The Computer History Museum, a two and a half hour oral history interview: Bill Mensch interviewed by Stephen Diamond in 2014

Here's the transcript:
http://archive.computerhistory.org/reso ... 01-acc.pdf

And here's the transcript of a 1995 oral history interview:
http://silicongenesis.stanford.edu/tran ... mensch.htm

From the video description:
Quote:
Bill grew up on a farm north of Philadelphia. He found his way to Temple University where he studied electrical engineering, but did not complete a degree. After working at a few low-paying jobs for small companies, he found his way to Arizona where he attended the University of Arizona. After a time at Philco Ford, he got a job at Motorola that he saw as an industry leader. When he began work, he was enrolled in a one-year training program that involved rotating among four different areas of the company.

Bill eventually joined the microprocessor design group. While there he designed a PIA (Peripheral Interface Adapter), I/O buffers, clock generators, etc. When Motorola asked him to transfer to Texas, he decided to join his colleague, Chuck Peddle, and join MOS Technology in Pennsylvania where they could design their own microprocessor. They took a half dozen other Motorola people with them and set out to design a microprocessor, the 6502, which would out perform Motorola’s 6800.

The 6502 turned out to be a spectacular success. One of their prime goals was to design a product that could be sold profitably for 10% of the cost of other microprocessors of that day. They felt that they could open up many new markets with a product that cheap. In that they were very successful. It became the standard processor chip for Apple, Atari, and even the BBC Micro in England.

Bill Mensch eventually found his way back to Arizona, where he started the “Western Design Center.” WDC developed a CMOS version of the 6502 and the company continues to be active in the microprocessor market.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:50 pm 

Ed,

That information kind of needs to be corrected. Please listen to Bill for two and a half minutes at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqMiSeDnUoY

Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:06 pm 

Ah, another talk, thanks. Not sure if I've seen that one or not. I quoted what the CHM said: feel free to post an update! I presume the difference hangs in whatever an associate degree is and whether it counts as an engineering degree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:43 pm 

He has a lot of college credit and a lot of colleges are not credit friendly meaning that if you stop going to school, the credits other than English or Math are no longer accepted towards a degree. Look at the college courses from when you graduated and what they offer now and the college curriculum is totally different which means that college learning from the past becomes obsolete and no longer accepted towards a current college degree.

Some colleges let you get credit for life experience and he definitely qualifies for his amazing and precious achievements and I can argue that there are people with education that haven't gone as far as he did in life.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:54 pm 

For sure there comes a point where experience and contacts counts for more than qualifications. And for sure some people and organisations will still insist on qualifications.

By a certain age, though, you can expect to see people give a slightly different version of their life story each time they tell it. That's how memory works, and it's how storytelling works.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:18 pm 

In the end, the information is irrelevant. You're only as good as your last record and his record is better than a lot of those with college degrees and qualifications that didn't go anywhere.

It isn't always the qualification or degrees but understanding the acumen of a company that propels a company.

Quote:
In seeking and identifying employees with high potential, the potential to go to the top of organizations, the skills and competencies that relate to that green box are rated twice as heavily as those in the other two elements of leadership. These skills and competencies can be summarized as business, strategic, and financial acumen. In other words, this skill set has to do with understanding where the organization is going, what its strategy is, what financial targets it has in place, and understanding your role in moving the organization forward. This is that missing 33 percent of the career success equation for women, not because it's missing in our capabilities or abilities, but because it's missing in the advice that we're given.

http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_colantuo ... anguage=en

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:21 am 

BigEd wrote:
From the video description:
Quote:
Bill grew up on a farm north of Philadelphia. He found his way to Temple University where he studied electrical engineering, but did not complete a degree. After working at a few low-paying jobs for small companies, he found his way to Arizona where he attended the University of Arizona. After a time at Philco Ford, he got a job at Motorola that he saw as an industry leader. When he began work, he was enrolled in a one-year training program that involved rotating among four different areas of the company.

Graduated from Temple University in 1966 with an Associates degree in Electrical Engineering Technology
Tuscon University of Arizona graduated from in 1971.
Went to Villanova between Temple and the University of Arizona
He has enough graduate level credits from ASU for a Masters.
If you added up all his credits on the graduate level he has enough for a double doctorate.
He doesn't have any advanced degrees.
He has taught graduate level courses for five years from ASU.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:28 am 

It took several sessions of listening to get through it, at times I could listen while doing something else (since there's nothing to see).

It's good to see he has not lost his vision. Seeing from a distance, it's easy to think he had.

I learned a new term: "addressable-register architecture" (referring to using ZP as processor registers). It was interesting the Mensch did not know how well his processor compared to competitors in performance. It was another company that did the comparison and said to him, "Did you know...?" Woz found he could make BASIC 20% faster on the Apple II using the added CMOS instructions and addressing modes, IIRC.

It was good to hear his explanation for the usefulness of ABORT, at about 2:22:00

I agree that once you have some accomplishments under your belt professionally, they speak for you more than your education does. Generally, experience goes before education on your resume, although if you're fresh out of the box and don't have any related experience, then of course education goes first. I've probably read over a thousand resumes in my last job when I hired a lot of technicians and a few engineers, and I cannot say I found a heavy correlation between education and the value they turned out to be to the company.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 pm 

I read the transcript because I figured it would take me less time; I already knew that they just had him sitting in a chair in front of a green screen (WDC published a picture a while ago to announce the interview) so I knew there wouldn't be much to see.

Well, it still took me more than 2 hours to read it, mostly because they did a very literal job with the transcript. That's a good thing in itself, but I was having a hard time sometimes to figure out what or who he was talking about, and he gets side-tracked and doesn't finish his sentences quite a few times.

Still, this is a great gem and I heard quite a few new things that I didn't know yet. Definitely worth it if you have the time.

===Jac