6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Programming 2764 EPROMs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:13 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I am now the proud owner of a TL866CS programmer and have downloaded and installed the latest firmware (as of 13 June 2015).

I spent some of the weekend with a UV eraser and the programmer running through my attic stock of EPROMs and other goodies (mostly 16C Pic Microchips with UV windows), and everything tested OK - I even programmed and re-erased a couple of 2732s from 1979!

The only chips I could not reprogram were a trio of Intel 2764 EPROMs (not 'A' versions) - the programmer doesn't specifically list the Intel 2764 (non-A), but it's there for a few other manufacturers - although the programming voltage for those is listed as 12.5V whereas I am 99.999% certain my older Intel parts need 21V (and the data sheet backs me up here!). Anyway, I tried at 12.5V (nope) and then at 21V and the chips generally programmed a few tens of bytes before failing, so either all the chips are too old/faulty or there's a programming/timing issue. I did try gently cleaning the chip pins so hopefully that potential issue is eliminated.

Can anyone offer any advice from experience? It's not a disaster if I can't program these devices, but it would be good to see if it's possible.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm 

Yes, my programmer says it's 21V, and puts it in the Intelligent 1ms 3X algorithm.