6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:20 am 

Five weekly posts this month(*) - feel free to discuss! (See also our previous roundups and our profile page.)

2015-01-02 We kick off the New Year with a collection of photos of 6502 classics, and mention 9 of our most popular weekly posts from 2014.
[Feel free to use an anonymous browsing window to follow these links if you are nervous of Google cookies]But don't feel obliged to rant about Google on this thread.

2015-01-09 All about 6502 computers with just 1k of RAM. (And we missed out on mentioning the Jolt, with 1k ROM.)

2015-01-16 A question from Jac Goudsmit - how did you choose your first computer? Magazines? Peers? Adverts? Ed and André kick off and we collect a couple of dozen interesting stories. Please add yours here!

2015-01-23 Autonomous robots with the 6502, featuring some multiprocessing based on a SYM-1.

2015-01-30 Fuzix - a unix-like OS by Alan Cox, for various 8-bit micros, illustrated on Shane Gough's TGL6502 platform.

Let us know what you think of our monthly summary idea. We keep a record of ideas for upcoming posts so also feel free to PM us with any ideas for posts. Check out the gplus stream page or the big catalogue thread to see all the posts.

Ed & André

(*) André Fachat and I have been posting every week on G+ for over two years now using the "mos6502" account, reaching about a thousand interested people. We keep something of an index in this thread but that's not a good place or good format for discussion. So we're going to try doing a monthly roundup as well, here on the forum. Our original idea was not specifically to build a following elsewhere, but to bring more people over here.

Last edited by BigEd on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:48 pm 

BigEd wrote:
...Let us know what you think of our monthly summary idea. We keep a record of ideas for upcoming posts so also feel free to PM us with any ideas for posts. Check out the gplus stream page or the big catalogue thread to see all the posts.

Ed & André

(*) André Fachat and I have been posting every week on G+ for over two years now using the "mos6502" account, reaching about a thousand interested people. We keep something of an index in this thread but that's not a good place or good format for discussion. So we're going to try doing a monthly roundup as well, here on the forum. Our original idea was not specifically to build a following elsewhere, but to bring more people over here.

Personally, I like the idea! I don't always find the time during a typical day to skim the internet, but I do stop by forum.6502.org quite a few times a day. Thanks to you and Andre for offering that.

...and I like the pics. What is it like 30 years now since the PET and the SYM/KIM/AIM/Jolt systems? The evolution of PCs/electronics/board design and the IC's themselves is incredible. LOL @ the massive polystyrene? caps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:06 pm 

Glad you like it! Very nearly 40 years since the Jolt - advertised in October 1975.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:47 pm 

I didn't appreciate, having never used one, that the PET keyboard was basically a shop till keyboard. Ick! I personally love these summaries.

Only the scale has changed. On a fundamental level, computer design has changed little in those 40 years. Unless someone knows better. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:04 am 

Thanks Aslak3! Remember that Commodore was first of all an office furniture company, and then a calculator company, before it became a computer company. So the PET being a bit like a filing cabinet and a bit like a calculator shouldn't be a huge surprise! It had the great advantage of being an all-in-one device, intended to serve some purpose.