6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:03 pm 

BruceRMcF wrote:
One approach is to look to a fractional number format that would be less work to implement, such as a 3+1 byte rational number format, with 24 bit numerator and 8 bit denominator.

Or simply look at the documents for IEEE 754 floating point and write an implementation from scratch...

-Gordon
(No emphasis on the word simply ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:13 pm 

drogon wrote:
BruceRMcF wrote:
One approach is to look to a fractional number format that would be less work to implement, such as a 3+1 byte rational number format, with 24 bit numerator and 8 bit denominator.

Or simply look at the documents for IEEE 754 floating point and write an implementation from scratch...

-Gordon
(No emphasis on the word simply ;-)

Or find a C reference implementation like SoftFloat -- http://www.jhauser.us/arithmetic/SoftFloat.html -- and port it -- but porting from C to 6502 assembly language does not appear to be enough like having fun for anyone to have done so yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:15 am 

drogon wrote:
BruceRMcF wrote:

Been there, still trying to do that...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:17 am 

BruceRMcF wrote:
Or find a C reference implementation like SoftFloat -- http://www.jhauser.us/arithmetic/SoftFloat.html -- and port it -- but porting from C to 6502 assembly language does not appear to be enough like having fun for anyone to have done so yet.

Someone could compile it and hand optimize the generated code?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:38 pm 

BillG wrote:
BruceRMcF wrote:

Someone could compile it and hand optimize the generated code?

An advantage of that approach is that if someone gets it to compile for a 6502 target and then hand-optimizes it so it is "small enough and fast enough" for their purposes, others could pick up the ball and hand optimize it further.

My guess is it would be a grind, but if someone finds that kind of grind with 6502 assembly language to be a good way to escape from the turmoil of a busy week, maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:44 pm 

I'm not sure that standard IEEE formats are the right choice for a 6502. Splitting the exponent over two bytes is very awkward, and I think there's a reasonably good argument for storing the significand in signed two's complement form.

My own floating point routines use a similar format to Acorn's, but narrower, and I think it helps efficiency compared with IEEE float formats.

I write things like this from scratch partly because I enjoy (and learn from) reinventing wheels, but also because I don't want to be encumbered by any licensing requirements, even for free software, such as preserving credit notices and so on - I don't mind giving credit in principle, but I don't have time to be legally obliged to do so.

I also don't want anyone to feel barred from using anything I've shared for these reasons, so I explicitly use the Unlicense in general.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:45 pm 

Hey, if anybody wants 8+32 floating point arithmetic for the PDP11, you're welcome to use it. :)

I've found that the really nice thing about 5-byte floating point is the ability to also hold an integer over the whole range of values, encoded with the exponent being zero.

In any floating format, a floating zero is an exception, and is usually coded exp=00,man=00,00...., so just extend that and if the exponent is zero, the mantissa is an integer. 5-byte floats allows you to hold a full 32-bit integer as 00,xxxxxxxx. Other sizes, such as 4-byte floats, don't give you enough "space" in the bits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6