6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 pm 

Have Olympian LED Sign, ADT 502. It is 6502 driven with a ROM, RAM and VIA. Has a keyboard connector to enable entering the display message. Have no keyboard. Made a switch box and tried to get some operation but no luck. Was made by Cybernetic Data Prod which is no longer. Starting to dissassemble the ROM code. Need any info on operation and keyboard. Thanks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:25 pm 

Welcome. Am working on a larger sign on an airplane right now, lets see what can be done.

1. Refer to the thread about the Microbot where we are dissembling and learning this puppy.

2. Take pictures of the front and back of the motherboard or boards. That will be a startup. Eventually, we will see about using a continuity meter to figure it out and create a schematic from it.

3. Can you dump the eprom out? Email it to me, I can host it if you wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 pm 

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12122

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm 

Through Tony's link, I found this link:

http://www.dickwick.com/sign/

It has a DOS program and rom image. I'm not sure its the same display but it is made my the same company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:55 pm 

Kewl, let me see their rom, if 6502, defintiely a post and dissemble fun....

[EDIT] Tastes like 6502 in the rom....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:04 pm 

I too have an Olympian LED Sign, ADT 502 that I am trying to repair. I have only gone as far as seeing the power supply works. It has an accessory module with a large Eprom 27xxx series. Any help or schematics would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 pm 

Welcome ne0f1sh :)

Is "repair" your main goal -- simply to get the thing working exactly as it used to do? Repairs sometimes turn out to be quite easy, even when working without a schematic. But if the system is missing some components (such as the keyboard/programmer) and/or you wish to modify the way the system works then you're much more likely to need detailed information such as schematics and even ROM listings. So...
  • what are your goals?
  • how does the unit presently behave? Why does it seem to need repair?
  • If you can provide some photos (and the numbers of the main IC's) this would help us help you

cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm 

Thanks Jeff, for your quick response.

Yes, I am just trying to repair this message board. It had previously been working just fine, and when it stopped, it looked like there was no power, no lights. This unit ran a continuous loop of messages, which I figure are on the E-prom located on the accessory module. I do not have a keyboard nor do I want to change anything.

Next time I am the shop I will shot some pics if that helps. I did notice that there was a slight haze on the inside of the plexiglass face about 3/4 way down the board. The power supply works, I saw about 12v at the filter cap.

Jacob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55 pm 

I too have an ADT-520 that is still working. Back in the day I was able to get a manual and a keyboard for it, but it didn't come with an accessory module - just the header. I've looked at the pinout and it doesn't make sense: The header is connected to the data side of the 6522, and only a single address line and reset on the 6502. The port side of the VIA seems unconnected to the 6502 - I didn't check if it was going straight to RAM. I don't understand how anyone could hook up a 2400 baud UART to the 6502 with this pinout. Anyone with an accessory module who can share a schematic or pics?

Attachments:
Olympian pinout.xlsx [9.44 KiB]
Downloaded 58 times
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:20 pm 

oldschoolcool wrote:
I too have an ADT-520 that is still working. Back in the day I was able to get a manual and a keyboard for it, but it didn't come with an accessory module - just the header. I've looked at the pinout and it doesn't make sense: The header is connected to the data side of the 6522, and only a single address line and reset on the 6502. The port side of the VIA seems unconnected to the 6502 - I didn't check if it was going straight to RAM. I don't understand how anyone could hook up a 2400 baud UART to the 6502 with this pinout. Anyone with an accessory module who can share a schematic or pics?

Can you post an attachment that can be opened with non-Microsoft software? Perhaps we may be able to help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:57 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
...Can you post an attachment that can be opened with non-Microsoft software? Perhaps we may be able to help.

Open Office 4 opened it for me. Here's a snip of the spread as a jpeg:
Attachment:
oldschool.JPG
oldschool.JPG [ 97.35 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]

I don't know how to make it large enough to be legible inline in this post, but you should be able to magnify on your end.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:13 am 

Here's a tab-delimited version

Attachments:
Olympian pinout.txt [536 Bytes]
Downloaded 49 times
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:38 am 

I opened it in LibreOffice Calc which is free for Linux.

Quote:
I've looked at the pinout and it doesn't make sense: The header is connected to the data side of the 6522, and only a single address line and reset on the 6502. The port side of the VIA seems unconnected to the 6502 - I didn't check if it was going straight to RAM. I don't understand how anyone could hook up a 2400 baud UART to the 6502 with this pinout.

The connection list is incomplete, but it looks like the 34-pin is not for the 6522, but instead goes to the CPU bus and not 6522 I/O lines.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:06 am 

I believe that I checked all the 34-pin header pins against both the 6502 and 6522 - only the ones that were connected are shown (I omitted the NC's in column 2). I also thought I compared the 6502 pins to the 6522 pins. I'll redo the table next week and maybe put together a schematic to make things clearer.

I'll have to see if I have an EPROM reader lying around - maybe the 6502 code will shed some light on what is expected from the accessory port.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 pm 

Here's an updated pinout - I should be able to post a schematic tomorrow. I didn't bother pinning out the 6502 memory interface.
I've extracted the ROM image - I can send it to anyone interested in disassembling it.

Attachments:
Olympian pinout.txt [844 Bytes]
Downloaded 62 times