6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Age = Illness
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:26 am 

Chromatix wrote:
Or ARM. I think Cortex-M0 cores come in at less than 0.5mm^2 now, and they also have very fast FIRQ response due to the banked registers for that purpose. They're also literally *everywhere*.

I suspect a version specifically intended to minimise static power draw would be a bit bigger, mind, but still a reasonably small and inexpensive chip.

If this is to be believed then PICs have been used amongst others.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a4eb/20ca546c75f7012a63a1c4e0342a9d0cbbd5.pdf

It seems the St Jude medical devices are the ones that are were easily hackable
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/31/hacking-risk-recall-pacemakers-patient-death-fears-fda-firmware-update

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

Last edited by BitWise on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:11 pm 

Chromatix wrote:
Quote:
…as we all know, anything running on Windows will eventually crash.

Three terrifying words: Windows for Warships.

The U.S. Navy tried that in the latter 1990s. There was a story about a warship at sea whose propulsion system was under the control of a Windows NT server. NT crashed and the engines came to a stop. The crew couldn't get the engines restarted and the ship had to be towed back to port.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:30 pm 

And that's precisely what's terrifying about it.

I have nothing against optimising the performance and efficiency of mechanical systems through the judicious application of a microprocessor here and there - but you still have to be able to get the thing running again if something goes wrong, especially for warships which *by definition* are intended to go into harm's way and survive damage, preferably while still being able to give as good as she got to the enemy. In extremis, you need to be able to jury-rig a limp-home solution using baling wire and chewing gum - literally if necessary. A highly interdependent system built on a network of general-purpose PCs running a multi-gigabyte general-purpose operating system does not satisfy that requirement.

By way of example, in the Battle of the River Plate:
Quote:
… Exeter was severely damaged and forced to retire; Ajax and Achilles suffered moderate damage. The damage to Admiral Graf Spee, although not extensive, was critical; her fuel system was crippled. Ajax and Achilles shadowed the German ship until she entered the port of Montevideo, the capital city of neutral Uruguay, to effect urgent repairs. After Graf Spee's captain Hans Langsdorff was told that his stay could not be extended beyond 72 hours, he scuttled his damaged ship rather than face the overwhelmingly superior force that the British had led him to believe was awaiting his departure.

HMS Exeter was able to limp home to the Falkland Islands despite being so badly damaged that steering control was effected by manually winching the rudder, according to commands shouted in relay from the bridge to the aft machinery spaces. Graf Spee was effectively destroyed by a simple broken fuel line, which prevented replenishment of the "ready" fuel tank from the much larger main tanks. This relative difference in design philosophies was also seen elsewhere during the war.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:22 am 

Chromatix wrote:
And that's precisely what's terrifying about it.

I have nothing against optimising the performance and efficiency of mechanical systems through the judicious application of a microprocessor here and there - but you still have to be able to get the thing running again if something goes wrong, especially for warships which *by definition* are intended to go into harm's way and survive damage, preferably while still being able to give as good as she got to the enemy.

Both of the ships on which I served were World War II vintage and it was clear in looking at how all the machinery worked that every effort was made to keep things going no matter what. The second ship on which I served, an Allen M. Sumner class destroyer (fast and very heavily armed), was hit by a kamikaze at Okinawa right after shooting down another kamikaze. She received extensive damage to the forward superstructure and number two main gun turret, and secondary damage to the forward boiler room and engine room (two boilers per boiler room). Steam pipes were ruptured, electrical power was disrupted and some 80 sailors were killed, with many more wounded.

Despite the heavy damage and loss of personnel, the ship was still seaworthy and was able to sail out of the immediate area to a destroyer tender for repairs. Following repairs, she made it back to Long Beach Navy Yard under her own steam, with one boiler on line and one engine. There wasn't enough steam output from the single boiler to maintain propulsion, desalinate water, run the systems required to keep the boiler fired and generate electricity, so the generators remained shut down. Because the systems needed to fire the boilers and manage steam flow to the engines were themselves operated by steam, not electricity, the ship could be sailed despite this condition.

Other examples of this thinking could be found in the gunnery, all which could be manually operated. It was possible to fire torpedoes without electricity, as well as drop depth charges. The naval architects who designed the ship knew that electrical systems would be first to be knocked out during combat, so they did their best to minimize dependence on electronics to handle the ship. That philosophy proved to be very wise.

Attachment:
File comment: USS Allen M. Sumner
sumner.jpg
sumner.jpg [ 8.99 MiB | Viewed 4676 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 am 

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's been an interesting couple of months of heart contretemps. I had to undergo some more heart stuff, one procedure being a catheter ablation—two of them, actually.

In the months that had followed the implantation of the pacemaker last year, I had developed persistent arrhythmia that was causing me some grief. In February, the arrhythmia, which was a combination of atrial fibrillation (afib) and premature ventricular contractions (PVC) conspired to take me out by causing an almost complete loss of blood pressure. At one point, I went down to 62/35, which is when I ended up in a heap on the deck.

Anyhow, following the ablations, my heart stayed in rhythm for about a week and then returned to the afib and PVC routine, again putting me in the hospital. I underwent several cardioversions to try force my heart back into rhythm. The third time was literally the charm. After a few days in the hospital for observation purposes, I was discharged to cardiovascular rehab and finally sent home. I've slowly rebounded, and actually feel better than I did a year ago. :D

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Whoopee! The three doctors who have been watching over me all signed off on me being able to drive again...I was issued a temporary handicap placard to allow me to park in handicap spaces when out-and-about.

That temporary handicap placard is now a permanent one. I poop out too quickly to walk any significant distance and have been declared legally disabled. The opinion of the cardiologists who have been caring for me is it is a permanent condition. Urk! :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 am 

Thankyou for the good news!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 am 

Thanks for the update BDD, sounds like you've been through the mill, but coming out feeling better than you had before is surely a very good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:07 pm 

Thanks for the update BDD. Hope you get back to 100% shortly. Glad to see you're back on your feet at least!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:10 pm 

Nice that your feeling better. Let's keep the trend going.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 pm 

BillO wrote:
Nice that your feeling better. Let's keep the trend going.

I'm trying! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Thanks for the update BDD, sounds like you've been through the mill, but coming out feeling better than you had before is surely a very good thing.

The joke around the house is it takes more than a couple of doctors to kill me! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:19 am 

Good to hear/see that you're back! I know about most of those things you've been experiencing... having aging parents at 88 and 90, not a lot of fun with endless doctor visits. Hopefully you can get back to completing POC V2 (saw the updated pix, looks very nice). All the best for recovering.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:12 am 

Thanks for the update, glad to know that you made it back from hospital again.
Good luck with your project and with trying to recover.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:25 am 

Nice to hear you've actually managed to gain some ground compared to a year ago!

( ps and btw: Arrhythmia, eh? For a bass player that'll be a matter of some concern! :wink: )

best regards,
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:07 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
ps and btw: Arrhythmia, eh? For a bass player that'll be a matter of some concern! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIIO408ats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next