6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 pm 

Quote:
It's good to see vintage test equipment still on the job. The old stuff may not be as fancy as the new stuff, but most of the old stuff was high quality in every respect, which is why it continues to function after all these years.

I was kind of thinking of starting a new topic on basic test equipment that's relevant to 6502 hobbyists' work, but wasn't sure if it might dishearten those who are not in a situation to even afford the basics. I have other basic equipment besides what I mentioned above, and I can use the 6502 workbench computer (sometimes with peripheral breadboards) to substitute for a lot of other stuff like arbitrary waveform generators, digital scope (with four inputs and four traces a couple of weeks ago—see the pictures below, although I could have stood to at least double the sample rate for the sake of that one trace in particular), audio spectrum analyzer, programmable power supplies and loads with near-microsecond resolution, microcontroller programmer, etc., etc.. This stuff just keeps working for decades, although I've had to spray the contact cleaner into the pot.s and switches on some of the equipment. None of it is dependent on OSs or interfaces that are here today and gone tomorrow. When I worked in applications engineering at a VHF & UHF power transistor manufacturer in the mid-1980's, the lab had about $100,000 of equipment per engineer, back when $100,000 was more money than it is today. I made a couple of small pieces of test equipment for my amateur-radio hobby and calibrated it with the equipment at work. Since then I've worked at two tiny companies, being the only engineer in the company most of those years, companies with a shoestring budget, which is fine with me.

Attachment:
SMPStestScope.jpg
SMPStestScope.jpg [ 63.69 KiB | Viewed 1333 times ]

This breadboard was for multiplexing the four inputs to the workbench computer's single A/D converter:

Attachment:
SMPStestFixture.jpg
SMPStestFixture.jpg [ 73.26 KiB | Viewed 1333 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 pm 

I found a photo on google of my signal generator:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithgreenhalgh/5748946994/in/photostream/
It has been tweaked by somebody, not much, and it didn't work much, so the tubes are still kinda new...
As for the multimetersthat i have:
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8364 ... 73224f.jpg
The left one is a Iskra Unimer31, and the right one is a mystery, it is a Asahi MV570A digital tester it works, it is 1980' era, bought by my father(bought are), i can't find anything on google about it, like it never existed...
I took both this instruments from my father(like some other stuff), since they are reliable, not like those moder cheap-like digital testers, i bought a bunch of them already, and they all died! So i will stick to this old ones. Except it is a bit annoying to change the batteries often on that digital tester, it uses 4x C batteries, and they don't last long(that is the reason i got it so easily :D )...
As for the soldering iron, i bought a new Weller WHS 40, but the transformer makes an unbelievable noise(is it normal?).
For the power source i bought a cheap MW dc power supply, it died, so i went back to the shop to have it fixed, they gave me a new one, which was not working, so they fixed it again, and since then it has been working.
I bought a Genius G530 Chinese programmer, and it can program almost anything. Since i don't have a scope yet i use an old national Panasonic transistor radio, and i tune to 1MHz, and then i can detect if the clock signal is present... Also i use a double 4040 based frequency divider contraption(with an 2MHz oscillator, so it can also generate a clock), that I have done as a homework in high school(most useful homework ever)...
I also do have a temperature meter from Iskra, it measures from -220, to 800C using a pt100 probe, and i also have a TexasInstruments SR50A calculator as a backup for the modern one...

Last edited by Dajgoro on Mon May 14, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 pm 

I was reading about FPGA Signal Tap. It could be cost effective and work.

http://www.dhgate.com/altera-usb-blaste ... 63dde.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:36 am 

At the end, I think the best way to find a cheap scope is through the local classifieds (as i did, i even got the chance to try it out before i bought it).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm 

Is this scope plenty good?

1 GS/s Digital Storage Oscilloscope + Extras - DS1052E
http://www.adafruit.com/products/681

It is basically an 8 pound $400 scope and the blog post is here:

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/01/26 ... ope-extras

Is there a better scope?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 pm 

Chuck, that one appears to be a great 'scope for the money! One thing I always look for is the probes, and it comes with a pair of 100MHz ones. And besides USB, it has RS-232, which is far more hacker-friendly. I don't see any reason to say it's for beginners like they do. It's probably just to attract them.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 am 

While fixing the issue with the max232, the tip of the scope probe broke(actually i bent in somewhere, and while i was trying to fix it, like many times before, it broke), as a temporary fix i soldered it back.
How do i find a compatible tip, the probe itself is kinda no-name i got it with the scope(HM 512).

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 am 

Quote:
How do i find a compatible tip? The probe itself is kinda no-name. I got it with the scope(HM 512).

Most 'scopes in this league have inputs that look like a 1M resistor to ground, shunted by approximately 20pF. The probe will be made for that, with a capacitance adjustment. Before you use it, put it on the x10 setting and connect it to the oscilloscope's calibration square-wave output, and adjust the trimmer on the probe so the 'scope displays a square wave with flat tops and bottoms.

Edit: You did say tips, not whole probes. In that case you'll probably have to find out who made the probes, since the tips and other accessories won't necessarily be compatible.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 am 

The tip unscrews from the probe, I'll shoot a picture tomorrow, in the hope that someone might identify it. There are lots of probe tips on ebay also...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:58 pm 

I've been using the SeedStudio Nano thing, it's good for most basic debugging: checking if there are pulses on a bus wire or to see if an IC is powered correctly. Needless to say, for the price you won't get much but it's better than nothing. How about this fella:

http://www.bitscope.net/store/?p=view&i=item+4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:07 pm 

I recently bought a Open Workbench Logic Sniffer but it hasn't yet arrived. (Already got a Bus Pirate but that's too slow for looking at CPU busses.) I realise that neither of these is professional quality lab equipment, but they are much more affordable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:23 pm 

BigEd wrote:
I recently bought a Open Workbench Logic Sniffer but it hasn't yet arrived. (Already got a Bus Pirate but that's too slow for looking at CPU busses.) I realise that neither of these is professional quality lab equipment, but they are much more affordable.

That Logic Sniffer's specs actually look pretty good for an item in that price range. It doesn't have to be "professional quality" (whatever that may be) to be good enough to do the job.

Speaking of "sniffing logic," I'm still use a B&K DP-21 logic probe I bought in 1988. It's good to at least 20 MHz, which is sufficient for what I do. I suppose back then it was "professional quality," since 20 MHz was pretty fast stuff in those days. I don't recall what I paid for it, but I guess I've gotten my money's worth out of it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:18 am 

Yeah, i still didn't post the picture, the day i was supposed to the forum got hacked, and later i forgot about it, and i soldered the tip back(not perfect but it works), still got to find a new.
I also got a pickit2 clone, and it has a logic analyzer tool, but when i poked into the sbc bus, the sbc froze, it looks like the input impedance of the pickit2 is too low for the bus to drive.

As for that scope that i bought from second hand, it works fine, and it was of great help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 pm 

I recently picked up one of these for the storage ability. It works well for $365 (including shipping). I have not tried to use all the features, and it does seem to have some quirks at certain horizontal rates (need to look for new firmware I guess), but for the price it does what I needed it to.
Attachment:
UNI-T 100 MHzJPG.JPG
UNI-T 100 MHzJPG.JPG [ 29.42 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:53 am 

BillO wrote:
I recently picked up one of these for the storage ability. It works well for $365 (including shipping). I have not tried to use all the features, and it does seem to have some quirks at certain horizontal rates (need to look for new firmware I guess), but for the price it does what I needed it to.

Interesting. 100 MHz is certainly good enough for experimenting with pretty fast circuits (10 MHz at least, assuming the 10:1 ratio). Funny thing is at first glance the 'scope almost looks like a microwave oven with a bunch of knobs on it. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next