6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 65xx parts sources
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:35 am 

I'll still contact Jameco this week (the last month has been busy for me, and I've also was motivated to finish another project), but does anyone know of a store that sells 65816 in DIP form that accepts PayPal?

It does concern me that Jameco stopped selling them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
To where are you headed?
I've been in Japan for quite some time and now I'll go to Norway and stay there for a while. Busy packing.
I can get some parts and goods shipped here (got the Apple 1 replica1 board from Vince Briel and a FleaFPGA from Valentin Angelovski, shipped from Australia), but in general anything paid via Paypal (e.g. Ebay) can't be shipped here because Paypal won't let me add an address in another country. (Amazon UK is actually happy to add my Japan address, but for some reason most of what I want to buy they won't ship to here.) So I usually start ordering parts that I need some time before I go to Norway and pick them up there.

-Tor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:54 pm 

Just to conclude that story about hunting for difficult-to-buy resistor networks - I actually only needed 3 different ones, and I've been looking for them for a year (earlier I wrote about the impossibility of buying from Mouser etc. due to absurd international shipping costs).

I've managed to find one of them as a set of 10 on ebay, reasonable price. The other I could buy, also for a reasonable price, as part of an assortment of 1k- and 10k values in different number of pins. Not Bourns, but should be ok just the same.

The third one I couldn't find anywhere, except from Ebay sellers wanting 20 quid for one.. out of the question. I mean, I can obviously afford it, but I simply will not accept that kind of pricing (again, those are cheap on Mouser but the insane shipping kills it).

BUT: I managed to find a single one deep in a drawer at work, in the section for parts we don't use anymore. It's been sitting in that drawer for 25 years!

So, for now I'm covered. But I wish it was as easy to find assortements of resistor networks as easily as for resistors and capacitors. For those I'm set for life (I think. I have thousands) from ebay, costing me less than taking the bus to town and back again.

-Tor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:34 pm 

Tor wrote:
Just to conclude that story about hunting for difficult-to-buy resistor networks - I actually only needed 3 different ones, and I've been looking for them for a year (earlier I wrote about the impossibility of buying from Mouser etc. due to absurd international shipping costs).

Have you looked at what it would cost to ship from Mouser et al via postal service instead of couriers such as DHL and UPS? Surely there must be some sort of solution. It always pains me to read of you guys outside North America getting shafted with the shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 pm 

USPS First Class International (if I remember the name correctly) is reasonable, I'm getting a nearly Eurocard-sized PCB shipped for $8.88 right now for example.
But Mouser doesn't offer that option, so what can we do?

-Tor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:31 pm 

Tor wrote:
USPS First Class International (if I remember the name correctly) is reasonable, I'm getting a nearly Eurocard-sized PCB shipped for $8.88 right now for example.
But Mouser doesn't offer that option, so what can we do?

-Tor

Hmmm...Mouser offers USPS as a domestic option. I don't know how I'd go about seeing what is offered internationally without an actual address to which they could ship.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:06 am 

cr1901 wrote:
I'll still contact Jameco this week (the last month has been busy for me, and I've also was motivated to finish another project), but does anyone know of a store that sells 65816 in DIP form that accepts PayPal?

Hi guys, I'm still alive XD. In the past 24 hours, I've been in contact with WDC on their twitter page. They've been extremely helpful and nice. It turns out that Jameco discontinued selling the '816, but fortunately, WDC has confirmed they have "no plans" to discontinue their products. I like Jameco a lot for their service and quality, but if you need 65xx parts they don't currently sell, you will need to look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:35 pm 

cr1901 wrote:
cr1901 wrote:

Hi guys, I'm still alive XD. In the past 24 hours, I've been in contact with WDC on their twitter page. They've been extremely helpful and nice. It turns out that Jameco discontinued selling the '816, but fortunately, WDC has confirmed they have "no plans" to discontinue their products. I like Jameco a lot for their service and quality, but if you need 65xx parts they don't currently sell, you will need to look elsewhere.

Mouser appears to be the source for the '816 at this time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:31 am 

I'm in The Netherlands and I have some spares (from big eBay orders).

Mail me at ariejan at ariejan.net if you're interested.

* W65C02S6TPG-14 (PDIP)
* W65C22S6TPG-14 (PDIP)
* AT27C512R 5.5 V 512 Kb (64 K x 8) 70 ns EPROM OTP - PDIP-28
* CY7C199CN 256 Kb (32 K x 8) 5 V 15 ns Static RAM DIP28

If there's much demand from NL, I can easily setup a small webshop for easy and quick ordering. Let me now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm 

I'm looking for two W65C02s. I'm in Finland and Mouser is super expensive. $50 USD for two chips...

I see there are some Chinese vendors on Ebay selling 10 Mhz W65C02S8P-10 $3.80 a piece, free shipping. Anyone tried buying these, are these genuine?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 pm 

phvic wrote:
I'm looking for two W65C02s. I'm in Finland and Mouser is super expensive. $50 USD for two chips...

I see there are some Chinese vendors on Ebay selling 10 Mhz W65C02S8P-10 $3.80 a piece, free shipping. Anyone tried buying these, are these genuine?

If you are looking at UTSource, they are very good. A few folks around here use them.

I've never had any problems with any of the parts I've bought from China. But of course, YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:20 pm 

Aslak3 wrote:
... I've never had any problems with any of the parts I've bought from China. But of course, YMMV.

Yeah, same goes for automotive parts and accessories; it's hit or miss on the fit, quality and durability, where it can genuinely be said that YMMV. :lol:

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm 

phvic wrote:

I worked out the lowest cost method of shipping to Finland from the USA that would be fully tracked and insured (international priority mail). It came to about 25 USD. Add in the cost of the two MPUs at roughly 8 USD each and it works out to 41 USD. So it seems that Mouser isn't too far out of line if 50 USD is the total that you were quoted.

I seem to recall that there is at least one vendor in the UK who stocks the W65C02S. Would that be viable for you? Dunno if it would save you anything on the parts' price but it might help with the shipping.

Quote:

The 65C02 has been produced by WDC in only one speed grade (-14) since the late 1990s. I'd be very cautious. You may be looking at what is at best a used item (NOS seems unlikely at this point in time), or possibly a counterfeit part. The seemingly low price and free shipping are red flags for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 pm 

But tracking and insurance is absurd for $8 parts.. and that's the problem: often that is the only shipping option offered. I've never lost an untracked item anyway, and besides, tracking doesn't really work. After the initial US-internal tracking there's silence until it arrives. And it's not faster than the cheap option either. In short, the expensive shipping is a waste.

-Tor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:30 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I worked out the lowest cost method of shipping to Finland from the USA that would be fully tracked and insured (international priority mail). It came to about 25 USD. Add in the cost of the two MPUs at roughly 8 USD each and it works out to 41 USD. So it seems that Mouser isn't too far out of line if 50 USD is the total that you were quoted.

You are very kind for spending time on this. I've ordered components from SparkFun (they sell Arduino stuff and components) and other stores in the US with very reasonable shipping costs, usually around $8. I don't care about tracking that much because I try to keep the value of orders below $40 to avoid the parcels getting caught in the customs (slow process).

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I woI seem to recall that there is at least one vendor in the UK who stocks the W65C02S. Would that be viable for you? Dunno if it would save you anything on the parts' price but it might help with the shipping.

Shipping from UK is usually very reasonable. Do you happen to remember the name of the store?

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The 65C02 has been produced by WDC in only one speed grade (-14) since the late 1990s. I'd be very cautious. You may be looking at what is at best a used item (NOS seems unlikely at this point in time), or possibly a counterfeit part. The seemingly low price and free shipping are red flags for me.

Yeah, I was suspecting something like this. Thanks for the warning! I don't mind losing a few dollars, but I don't want to lose time. The worst thing that could happen would be to first wait 4-5 weeks for the parcel to arrive (typical shipping time from China) and get a part that almost works but has some random crashes or other problems. I would be nightmare to verify where the problem is, in my circuit or the chip itself.

For instance there are lots of counterfeit MAX7219 LED driver chips being sold through Ebay. A very commonly used chip by Arduno enthusiasts and a pretty costly too -- more than five dollars a piece for the real one, afair. Unfortunately the counterfeit versions have random shutdown problems. I know this because I bought 10 of these chips for about $10 when I was starting to learn electronics two years ago :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next