6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:59 pm 

plasmo wrote:
But then they "snatch defeat from the jaw of victory" by adding anchovies to pizza!

That is literally adding insult to injury.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:43 pm 

floobydust wrote:
to quote Mozart... "... the Italians, always the Italians!"

J.S. Bach admired the Italians as well. Some of his organ works are transcriptions of the Italian concerto grosso format, especially Vivaldi concerti.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:46 pm 

plasmo wrote:
But then they "snatch defeat from the jaw of victory" by adding anchovies to pizza!

Whaddya have against anchovies?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:51 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
floobydust wrote:

J.S. Bach admired the Italians as well. Some of his organ works are transcriptions of the Italian concerto grosso format, especially Vivaldi concerti.

Well, my reference was from the movie Amadeus, where Mozart was complaining about everyone saying all operas must be in Italian. Then again, growing up and playing classical trumpet, some of my favorite composers include Albinoni, Corelli, Torelli, Verdi and Vivalidi. Then there's Bach, Fasch, Handel, Hummel, Mozart, Purcell, Telemann and of course, the Haydn brothers. Such great music... I just don't play much anymore :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:25 am 

floobydust wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
floobydust wrote:

Well, my reference was from the movie Amadeus, where Mozart was complaining about everyone saying all operas must be in Italian.

Of course, Amadeus was largely a work of fiction—the filmmakers admitted it was fantasy (there is no evidence that Mozart's early death was due to foul play, nor is there any evidence he and Salieri were bitter rivals). :D I don't know if Mozart truly admired Italian composers, but he did compose music in that style.

Quote:
Then again, growing up and playing classical trumpet...I just don't play much anymore :oops:

Bad monkey! No banana! :D

I get on my (digital) piano at least once a day and after my fingers have loosened a bit, play my bass for about a half hour. I intend to go to my grave playing music.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:38 am 

Very true... more fiction than fact, but a great movie overall. Most was filmed in Prague as well, not Vienna (I've been to both cities many times). But yes, much Italian influence overall.

And yes, no banana for me... I need to start picking up the horns again... especially with such a nice collection of them... Piccolo trumpet, E-flat/D tuning bell trumpet, standard B-flat and a couple older cornets as well. The last two weddings I played at ended in divorce (both relatives as well... a brother and a niece). Possible message not to play anymore??

Over time, the trumpets go to my younger daughter, the guitars go to my older daughter and the piano goes to my son.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:16 am 

floobydust wrote:
... The last two weddings I played at ended in divorce...

That's why I stick with Bar Mitzvahs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:26 am 

enso wrote:
floobydust wrote:
... The last two weddings I played at ended in divorce...

That's why I stick with Bar Mitzvahs.

Lord knows I've played enough of those over the years. They're more fun, anyhow, than weddings (except Greek weddings—they're a blast).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:52 pm 

Here is an interesting article detailing an 'alleged' electronic parts-related scam. More than $300,000 defrauded, based on those victims who came forward and documented the purchases. Small businesses desperate to get parts were targeted...

Includes a list of fake web sites, bank account numbers, and aliases used.

Last edited by enso on Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:02 pm 

To protect this site, I strongly suggest you write "allegedly by an individual..." and perhaps preferably refrain from naming. The site you link says it itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 pm 

Respectfully, I call bullshit on that one, BigEd.

I did not see any statement recommending that anyone use specific wording at http://www.erai.com. The individual (whose name I will not repeat here out of respect for 6502.org), is named directly by the site, and no 'alleged' wording is provided, because they consider it factual, based on testimonies of dozens of victims over 3 years. The name is likely to be an alias anyway.

We do live in a litigious society, but it's hardly worth hiding in the shadows while scam artists run unchecked. The Internet was built to let us communicate and organize to avoid these exact kinds of problems.

Just to be clear, do you set policies or have any official affiliation with 6502.org? I am a bit tired of being reprimanded here, all good intentions aside.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:21 am 

enso wrote:
Respectfully, I call bullshit on that one, BigEd.

As do I. The incidents that are "alleged" to have occurred have been documented and did, in fact, occur. I saw nothing on the page recommending weasel wording be used when referring to what was reported.

The bad actor involved in the fraud is evidently well-known in the electronic parts liquidation industry as fraudster—I see his name mentioned on occasion in newsletters I get from one of my suppliers of NOS parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 am 

Thanks, enso, for following good practice and editing your post accordingly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:52 am 

Hi folks, I have some tubes of genuine MOS ic's that have been stored away since the 1980's. Would anyone be interested in MPS6540's, MOS6525's, MOS6532's & MOS6522's ?

There are others but I haven't had time to sort through them yet. If nobody is interested they will have to be binned. Which I hate doing.

I am in the UK.

Cheers - Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:08 am 

Sounds great - please don't bin them, there are sure to be takers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next